Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2018 5:52:34 PM EDT
Looking around, I don't see much in the way of complete uppers in anything but stainless though I've found several nitrided barrels. Similarly, most complete uppers either have slick handguards or want a rediculous amount for an m-lok handguard.

Would it simply be cheaper to just buy a barrel and build from there?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
As a running total:

Aim Surplus:
-Faxon Nitride 18" w/ gas block=$300
-Ballistic Advantage BCG=$175
-Spikes Melonite Gas Tube=$15
-Aero Precision M-Lok Handguard=$100
-Aero Precision Upper-$80

Total=$670

That's more than some of the stainless upper groups but far less that than any M-Lok upper that is not stainless.  Add the price of a lower build and it still would be less than some uppers that have less than what I listed above.  This is only a general figure as I'd build on a FDE Aero Precision upper/lower with a FDE Aero Precision handguard.  Add a 1x8 scope and you've got a pretty slick DMR.

I still want to get a bolt action in 6.5 Grendel first but this may be my next build.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd do the Larue Ultimate Upper kit, and get the lower from them too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Larue is $790 with BCG, hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:12:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]
My build was about $500, I didn't waste any money on bullshit that doesn't matter for sub moa target shooting like the gas block, rail, charging handle, receiver, bolt carrier. $300 for the barrel and the rest was the cheapest shit I could find.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:31:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#6]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lockstep:
I'd do the Larue Ultimate Upper kit, and get the lower from them too.
View Quote
You get:

* 18" barrel nitrided
* LaRue gas block
* LaRue gas tube sealing ferrule and gas tube
* Stealth 2.0 billet upper
* Stealth 2.0 billet handguard, length of your choice, MLOK or KM
* Tranquilo muzzle brake (works, isn't obnoxious)
* Nitrided BCG
* Charge Handle

* LaRue precision-machined Receiver Extension Tube
* Buffer
* Action spring
* MBT-2S 2-stage trigger
* RAT stock
* APEG Pistol Grip

$99 option to have it coated FDE or UDE, with matching FDE or UDE furniture of your choice.

This deal is the current AR15 option to beat on the market, hands down.  The value you're getting even if you part some if it out far exceeds the price you pay.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

You get:

* 18" barrel nitrided
* LaRue gas block
* LaRue gas tube sealing ferrule and gas tube
* Stealth 2.0 billet upper
* Stealth 2.0 billet handguard, length of your choice, MLOK or KM
* Tranquilo muzzle brake (works, isn't obnoxious)
* Nitrided BCG
* Charge Handle

* LaRue precision-machined Receiver Extension Tube
* Buffer
* Action spring
* MBT-2S 2-stage trigger
* RAT stock
* APEG Pistol Grip

$99 option to have it coated FDE or UDE, with matching FDE or UDE furniture of your choice.

This deal is the current AR15 option to beat on the market, hands down.  The value you're getting even if you part some if it out far exceeds the price you pay.
View Quote
And now through Christmas there is free assembly of the upper.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I like to think the 6.5 Grendel is a high enough performing round it deserves the best (If you want a precision upper). My build is as follows:

Young Manf. National Match Bolt CarrierLink - $250Mega Arms Billet CH UpperLink - $150
20" Bartlein and BoltLink - $650
JP Precision Hand GuardLink - $250
SLR Adj Gas BlockLink - $120

Side charger for easy use while on a bench. Billet upper for the rigidity and because I love the looks of it. JP handguards because I really like the streamlined look.
If you want to build, take the time to build it all out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Larue is $790 with BCG, hard to beat.
View Quote
The conversation really should end with this IMO
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:
As a running total:

Aim Surplus:
-Faxon Nitride 18" w/ gas block=$300
-Ballistic Advantage BCG=$175
-Spikes Melonite Gas Tube=$15
-Aero Precision M-Lok Handguard=$100
-Aero Precision Upper-$80

Total=$670

That's more than some of the stainless upper groups but far less that than any M-Lok upper that is not stainless.  Add the price of a lower build and it still would be less than some uppers that have less than what I listed above.  This is only a general figure as I'd build on a FDE Aero Precision upper/lower with a FDE Aero Precision handguard.  Add a 1x8 scope and you've got a pretty slick DMR.

I still want to get a bolt action in 6.5 Grendel first but this may be my next build.
View Quote
If I were building an 18” 6.5 Grendel I would look real hard at the Larue UU kit. Add in your $49 lower and you’re set. Your build list puts you within $100 of the Larue but does not account for any of the lower parts, which the UU kit comes with.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:
Looking around, I don't see much in the way of complete uppers in anything but stainless though I've found several nitrided barrels. Similarly, most complete uppers either have slick handguards or want a rediculous amount for an m-lok handguard.

Would it simply be cheaper to just buy a barrel and build from there?
View Quote
PSA complete upper $349.00

I plan on giving this a try before dropping obscene amounts of $$$ on "high end" stuff..

They also have one with a SS BCG for the same price.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I would have spent less buying a Larue UU kit by about $400 ($600 including stamp), but I knew what I wanted for this one. Still waiting on the rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

If I were building an 18" 6.5 Grendel I would look real hard at the Larue UU kit. Add in your $49 lower and you're set. Your build list puts you within $100 of the Larue but does not account for any of the lower parts, which the UU kit comes with.
View Quote
I went to Larue's site to check these out.  I can't figure out how to get the lower for $49.  It shows $199 for me, unless I'm retarded.  Anyone have a link or info?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

I went to Larue's site to check these out.  I can't figure out how to get the lower for $49.  It shows $199 for me, unless I'm retarded.  Anyone have a link or info?
View Quote
Sorry...I wasn’t clear. I meant just add a $49 lower (Palmetto/Aero/whatever).
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Sorry...I wasn't clear. I meant just add a $49 lower (Palmetto/Aero/whatever).
View Quote
10-4.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Even if I didn't go the Larue UU kit for whatever reason, I still would use the Stealth 2.0 upper receiver and rail for a precision build. When you tally it up, it really makes no sense to try anything other than Larue UU.

You could sell all the extra goodies it comes with and literally re-coop half of your $$.

Those Larue barrels are usually better than most shooters. I would FO on the UU, shoot the hell out of it until the barrel is spent, then replace with a Shilen 18" SS and bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top