Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2022 3:10:39 PM EDT
I have a .50 BMG ordered and would like to get a scope that is .50 BMG rated and is good for reaching out to a mile. I don't have the skills to do that type of long-range shooting yet but would like to be able to do it later on when I learn more about shooting at those distances.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nightforce
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
SWFA SS 16x

How much internal adjustment the scope has makes a huge difference. Think plus 30 MOA rail and good rings Badger Ordnance or Talley Tactical or EGW

I’m going to save you a lot of money and tell you this $299. Scope will do it. The next step up is about $3000. US Optics, Nightforce, Heinsoldt, Tangent Theta and the list goes on. Ammo for that is expensive so you won’t shoot it much. Put your expensive scope on a .308 or 300 WM
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't have a price range I'm looking at all options right now. I would prefer not to go to much over 3k but if I have to I will.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:00:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

You don't have to now. Lots of options under $3k now. And a .50 recoil is not that brutal either. They have good brakes and aren't bad to shoot. You need to figure how many MOA are in the base on the rifle you will get and then where you want to zero and then figure out the data needed to get to a mile. After that find a scope with enough internal travel to do the job. I wouldn't even look at a scope with less than about 100 MOA or 28-30 mils or so. For power range it will depend on the target size but around 20x and up isn't a bad place to be for a mile+ shots.

You have any scopes you are looking at now?
View Quote

I am trying to get into long range shooting, so I don't know much and I'm in the process of learning so sorry if I ask any stupid questions. I am getting the Barrett M82a1 and from what I read on another site is has a 27 MOA built into the rifle. I have no idea where I should zero the rifle at, I have never had a .50 cal rifle before and don't know if there's an ideal distance you should zero them at. Any advice on where I should zero it at? I have just started looking online at so many different scopes including but not limited to Nightforce, ZCO, Vortex, Bushnell, March and etc. Haven't ever purchased long range optics before so I don't know what I'm looking for or at sometimes since I only have experience mainly with red dots and similar optics.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Have to make sure to check dates on any of those articles. One is from 2018. A lot has happened since then. Even the 2020 article there have been scopes like the Vortex Gen III 3-36 that came out last month that needs to be looked at also.
View Quote

I've been curious about the G3 Razor, but haven't seen any in depth reviews/comparisons.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Seeing as you are just getting into long range shooting I have to ask why a M82A1? It would be about the last rifle I would recommend for someone just starting and honestly not very accurate at longer ranges. More of an anti material rifle than precision. Many rifles can shoot a mile more accurately and also much cheaper. Hell I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor to a mile and if you won't be doing it for a while or even a lot the .50 is expensive to shoot and a lot of hassle. You should really rethink the purchase.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheSmookingGun:

I am trying to get into long range shooting, so I don't know much and I'm in the process of learning so sorry if I ask any stupid questions. I am getting the Barrett M82a1 and from what I read on another site is has a 27 MOA built into the rifle. I have no idea where I should zero the rifle at, I have never had a .50 cal rifle before and don't know if there's an ideal distance you should zero them at. Any advice on where I should zero it at? I have just started looking online at so many different scopes including but not limited to Nightforce, ZCO, Vortex, Bushnell, March and etc. Haven't ever purchased long range optics before so I don't know what I'm looking for or at sometimes since I only have experience mainly with red dots and similar optics.

Seeing as you are just getting into long range shooting I have to ask why a M82A1? It would be about the last rifle I would recommend for someone just starting and honestly not very accurate at longer ranges. More of an anti material rifle than precision. Many rifles can shoot a mile more accurately and also much cheaper. Hell I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor to a mile and if you won't be doing it for a while or even a lot the .50 is expensive to shoot and a lot of hassle. You should really rethink the purchase.

That's a good point.

I thought the M82 and M107 were generally about 2 MOA,  even with match/handloaded ammo. Not exactly ideal for a mile.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]

There are a few out there. All reports are great glass. I put mine next to my buddy’s ZCO 5-27 and glass was almost identical.

The only complaints on the Gen III so far is the knobs being hard to turn, some think they are a little too quiet and the knob locks a little too easy.  On mine the knobs turn fine although a little harder and quieter than the Gen II but still tactile and audible. I haven’t run mine in a match yet so can’t say anything about the locking issue. All in all though people are happy with them and you can find them for well under $2999 which is the street price. They have 36 mils of elevation too so great for ELR and parallax down to 10 yards so great for .22LR matches.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

I've been curious about the G3 Razor, but haven't seen any in depth reviews/comparisons.

There are a few out there. All reports are great glass. I put mine next to my buddy’s ZCO 5-27 and glass was almost identical.

The only complaints on the Gen III so far is the knobs being hard to turn, some think they are a little too quiet and the knob locks a little too easy.  On mine the knobs turn fine although a little harder and quieter than the Gen II but still tactile and audible. I haven’t run mine in a match yet so can’t say anything about the locking issue. All in all though people are happy with them and you can find them for well under $2999 which is the street price. They have 36 mils of elevation too so great for ELR and parallax down to 10 yards so great for .22LR matches.

Would appreciate a heads up on where to find them for well under $2999.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I got the M82a1 because I've always wanted a .50 BMG rifle and Barrett is an iconic brand also my son is named Barrett so I wanted a Barrett so that's why I got that rifle. I still plan to get other long-range rifles later on that are more accurate and affordable to shoot but not any time soon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Go check out Liberty Optics and put it in the cart.

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d141.html
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Would appreciate a heads up on where to find them for well under $2999.

Go check out Liberty Optics and put it in the cart.

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d141.html

THANKS!
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Barrett 99 would probably be a better fit for what you're wanting to do. It's a single shot bolt action.

Some of these guys use an off the shelf Barrett 99 with a NF or Leupold scope, and do pretty well:

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#20]
You’re gonna need at least 60 moa or 19 mils from your zero to be able to dial out to 1760 using a 750g Amax , & you won’t be at full zoom either at that distance …too much mirage now in the summer months , I find around 15x the most useful setting . I agree you are better off with a 99 bolt rifle my homie has the semi rifle & accuracy sucks big time 😂🤷🏽‍♂️
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
SWFA SS 16x

How much internal adjustment the scope has makes a huge difference. Think plus 30 MOA rail and good rings Badger Ordnance or Talley Tactical or EGW

I’m going to save you a lot of money and tell you this $299. Scope will do it. The next step up is about $3000. US Optics, Nightforce, Heinsoldt, Tangent Theta and the list goes on. Ammo for that is expensive so you won’t shoot it much. Put your expensive scope on a .308 or 300 WM
View Quote

While I'd personally ended up with a basic 3-15x Nightforce, I have to agree with not blowing your load on a scope for a long range 50.  I originally bought a Nightforce NX8 4-32 at damn near $2300 for my M82 when I got it.  But after shooting it a bit, and starting to acquire the stuff for loading 50......it turns out I don't wanna shoot it that way very much at like $7-$10 a round, and I would need a lot of practice. I moved the scope over to my 300wm bolt action for long range on a better 30cal budget, and I keep the 50 under 300 yards on LC ball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top