Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2020 1:37:46 AM EDT
Suggestions for best reliable chronograph for the money?

Had a chrony and it seemed to be iffy even with the screens some days.

Looking for something reasonable and reliably accurate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:30:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had great luck with the caldwell crony, the velocity matched up with my kilo 2400 at distance, so its reasonably accurate, I do have a Labrador now as well, a gift from my kids, but have not been able to run bullets past both at the same time to verify accuracy on the caldwell...I will say this, getting the crony lined up right with the rifle so the bullet travels squarely over it is important...but hard to beat for the price...
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By gastonglock21s:
Suggestions for best reliable chronograph for the money?

Had a chrony and it seemed to be iffy even with the screens some days.

Looking for something reasonable and reliably accurate.
View Quote

Competition electronics prochrono
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
LabRadar if you can swing it; the ability to 'enable logging' for every shot is amazingly valuable.

The Magneto Speed is also quite good. It's very accurate, and very quick to deploy. The only downside is you really don't want it attached to your barrel when you're doing load dev. (really, this is the only drawback to the MS, but it's a big one IMO).
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:06:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
They have a rail adapter that some use off a rail from the stock so the bayonet doesn't touch the barrel but in using it for a few years now I have found a POI change in the use of the bayonet but it doesn't appear to change group size. I usually work up my loads with 10 rounds and then chrono 5 and shoot 5 without bayonet.

The Lab Radar is nice too but pretty expensive and more fragile than the Magnetospeed. Both are very accurate and much easier than the old optical chronos. My Oehler 35 hasn't been used in years and sits collecting dust.
View Quote
+1 for MagnetoSpeed.  I use a MagnetoSpeed Sport and am very happy with it.  I start load development with a ladder of usually 10 rounds.  If I want to know the MVs on the ladder, I'll make up 2 ladders of 10 - 1 I shoot over the chrono and 1 I shoot at paper.  One of the features that I really love about my MS Sport is that it is small, light, and fits in (and lives) in a pocket of my rifle bag.  It's always with me in case I decide to spot check a few rounds before beginning a range session or if my POIs seem to be "off".  I also have an optical chrono (shooting chrony) that is collecting dust as well.  I'll probably use it again some day when I want to chrono pistol ammo, an arrow, or a ball bearing shot from a sling shot!...
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]

They have a rail adapter that some use off a rail from the stock so the bayonet doesn't touch the barrel but in using it for a few years now I have found a POI change in the use of the bayonet but it doesn't appear to change group size. I usually work up my loads with 10 rounds and then chrono 5 and shoot 5 without bayonet.

The Lab Radar is nice too but pretty expensive and more fragile than the Magnetospeed. Both are very accurate and much easier than the old optical chronos. My Oehler 35 hasn't been used in years and sits collecting dust.
View Quote
You PRS guys get all the cool stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Magnetospeed V3 and hated to strap it to the barrel. It seemed to change group sizes as well as POI shift. Bought the adapter contraption from MK Machining and all issues are solved. I also find myself using the chrono more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Are there any decent options for use with suppressors?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
This. I have a bunch of different types and including a Magnetospeed and a Labradar. I have been very impressed with the Magnetospeed. I also agree with Rob01 on the Labradar being much more fragile.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Oehler 35P.  Still the gold standard.  Had mine for over 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#16]
Magnetospeed. Either a Sporter for less or the V3 for top of their line.
View Quote
I disliked the user interface.  If I didn't have my glasses, I couldn't use the fucking thing. It can affect barrel harmonics.

Labradar.  You are unlikely to shoot it. All others will eventually get shot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I think that Caldwell has the best app by far, but Labradar has the best hardware.....   The Caldwell G2 is worth owning, and so is the Labradar when you can afford it
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]
While the Magnetospeed does work good I've had the electronics in bought my V2 and V3 shit the bed.  They only warranty their product for a year so I was shit out of luck on both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top