Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2018 7:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garbageman]
I shoot high power service rifle, AR platform, 20" Kreiger barrel chambered in 223CLE.  I am reloading Sierra 77gr SMK's over 24gr of Varget.

Another shooter suggested Berger 70gr vld's I think?  Can't remember if he said 70 or 73gr vld's.

Is anyone shooting Berger's ?

ETA:  Course of fire is 200 and 300yd
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Are the Sierras just not working?

The 73gr is a tangent ogive like the 77gr SMK. The 70gr VLD should fit at magazine length, dunno anyone's experience. AMU uses the 75gr VLD at 600yds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think I would shoot 80s at 300 yards.

If your load with 77s is cutting it, why switch?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Always on the hunt for something better and cheaper
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
More money for maybe a couple Xs on the MR-63. Makes more sense for F-class. Stick with the 77s.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Berger sure will not be less expensive.
Try a box of Nosler 77gr, they are less expensive than Sierra in same bullet weight.
Then pay attention to the Nosler Pro Shop and look for deals on 2nds.  Most seconds from
Nosler are cosmetic.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rn22723:
Berger sure will not be less expensive.
Try a box of Nosler 77gr, they are less expensive than Sierra in same bullet weight.
Then pay attention to the Nosler Pro Shop and look for deals on 2nds.  Most seconds from
Nosler are cosmetic.
View Quote
In fact I just ordered 1K of the nosler 77's from shooters pro shop, factory over-run
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By garbageman:
Always on the hunt for something better and cheaper
View Quote
Man in my experience Berger gets you about as far from "cheaper" as you can get!  Personally I like Berger's - I think they are top-shelf excellent quality bullets.  And the 73 gr is a personal favorite as it goes-fast like a 69, but has a heavy BC like a 77.  It also is the heaviest bullet that a 1/9 will reliably stabilize, so it's a great cross-platform precision bullet that will shot exceptionally well in everything you own.  73 is very forgiving to long throat jump, so you can stuff it into magazines and jump that thing a mile in a worn throat, and it still shoots good.  Their 70's are VLD, and I don't touch VLD's, as chasing throat sucks.

It's also gotten to be a damned expensive bullet, and I'm starting to spread out my shooting to include other bullets more now, to optimize expenses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top