Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2022 8:38:33 AM EDT
Random question--I'm running a Timney Calvin Elite trigger on my centerfire precision rifle, and I've been wanting to upgrade the 'good' but not 'great' trigger on my B14R.

I know that everyone has their favorites, but I'm pretty solid on the Timney CE due to my familiarity with it.  If I can whittle my pull down from the crisp 3 lbs it currently has, I'm hoping to do better in the tackdriver thread.

Has anyone replaced their B14R triggers with aftermarket?  Any problems with sear engagement/release, or failing to fire, etc?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have it set right at 1 lb.  Seems to be my sweet spot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
That explains a lot.....I was wondering how I got my CE so cheap, and also why I haven't been able to find another.  I had no idea they were discontinued.  HIT is on the way and should be here in a few days.

Thanks--I'll post again with results
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I put a TT special in mine with no issues. It’s a drop in.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my B14R from someone on here and it came with the Calvin Elite installed.   I have been shooting it for a while and have not had any issues with function or reliability.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
@SturmMonkey

Thank you Sir!  That was what I was hoping to hear.  My new trigger is showing Out For Delivery and I'll be installing it tonight
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of these in my 40-X (700 clone), so I can attest to their quality.

Link to Jewell Triggers
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#9]
My Timney 'The Hit' trigger finally showed up today.  It only took about 5 minutes to install.  I didn't change it from factory setting, but it feels lighter than 1 lb.  No creep, no overtravel at all.

I put a box of SK Standard Plus through it and it didn't have any problems, and 99% of my unexplained flyers are GONE.  I'm very pleased, and very impressed with the difference this trigger made.

Thanks for the info everyone
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:36:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#10]
I will offer a word of caution.  

One pound is very light.  Vibration and sear engagement can be issues.  You should do a test.

Open the bolt, then close the bolt especially HARD on closing.  Harder than you ever would do.  Really slam that bolt home.

Ensure the action has not fired.  If it has fired, you need to adjust the trigger to a higher weight or give it more sear engagement or...

I keep mine over 1.25 lb, more likely 1.5 lb.  

A really good trigger can be a couple of pounds (2-3) and still feel really light and crisp.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the words of caution Trollslayer.  I agree that a good trigger doesn't have to be super light, but on my target rifles I do prefer a nice light touch.

One of the things I always do after trigger work is slam the butt to the ground a few times.  If that won't set it off, I'm good.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
This is too funny, I run a Jewell on mine at 3oz, never had any issues whatsoever.

If your setting off a 1 pounder or more by closing the bolt something else is wrong.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I like mine set 8-12 Oz on my target guns. From what I have seen a lot of Tigger mishaps are from wrongly adjusting the sear. My CZ is set at 8oz and never had a misfire in 1000's of round.the others are set in the range listed and never a misfire with them either.

Jewel is a well regarded trigger and know for being light. I have timney to install in my .223 so no experience with it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top