Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2019 8:35:45 AM EDT
I'm looking at glass bedding (and stiffening) a cheap synthetic stock next week, but I'm a complete newb to this.

Can anyone explain release agents and how they work? At first glance, it seems any oils/wax applied to the action would cause there to be a gap between the bedding compound and the action once everything's dry.

It seems like there are lots of guys using random stuff from their local hardware store, but also guys ordering specialized bedding kits. Any suggestions on what to use and why? I'm completely new to two-part epoxies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EliCustom] [#1]
Bedding an action isn't going to stiffen the stock.

A releasing agent is something you apply to the steel parts you don't want glued to the stock. Lots of gunsmiths use Johnson's paste wax.  Inexpensive and is readily available or it was available years ago. I prefer the spray on releasing agent because everything gets coated.

The reason for bedding an action is to get the receiver on 2 post and bed the recoil lug. Yes, the bedding material(some epoxy concoction)is used around the action so it won't wiggle around the post.

Most people, myself included, use marinetex.

It's unlikely your first attempt at bedding will be anything more than 'skimming' the inside of the stock. Bedding a barreled receiver the right way is not an easy task.  It's meticulous and takes some experience to get it right. Most bedding jobs are little more than skimming.

It's unlikely that bedding will help your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:56:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#2]
^^^. Yup. Bedding a crappy stock is only going to give you a crappy stock that weighs more.

I like devcon but have used other epoxy's with varying results. JB Weld sucketh in case you think of going that route. I usually use PAM cooking spray as my release agent because I had it on hand one day and tried it out and it worked so well I just kept using it, especially since I don't cook with it and I've finally trained my wife to not cook with it either so it's otherwise just going to sit there unused.

Quick curing epoxies have never really been great for me. Give it at least 24 hours before fiddling with it. Normally I'll leave it for a few days to a week before getting back to it and that seems to net a more durable product.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO there are two epoxies worth using. Devcon steel epoxy or Marine-Tex. Everything else is inferior.

Don't waste your time bedding a SPS or similar weak flexible stock. You're better off finding a used wood stock and refinishing it.

I coat the action and barrel with at least two layers of wax, buffing after each coat. I use clay to fill any holes I don't want epoxy to enter.

Buy tools. Watch videos. Have everything you need in place before starting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#4]
A well detailed video to watch on the subject .
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EliCustom:
Bedding an action isn't going to stiffen the stock.

A releasing agent is something you apply to the steel parts you don't want glued to the stock. Lots of gunsmiths use Johnson's paste wax.  Inexpensive and is readily available or it was available years ago. I prefer the spray on releasing agent because everything gets coated.

The reason for bedding an action is to get the receiver on 2 post and bed the recoil lug. Yes, the bedding material(some epoxy concoction)is used around the action so it won't wiggle around the post.

Most people, myself included, use marinetex.

It's unlikely your first attempt at bedding will be anything more than 'skimming' the inside of the stock. Bedding a barreled receiver the right way is not an easy task.  It's meticulous and takes some experience to get it right. Most bedding jobs are little more than skimming.

It's unlikely that bedding will help your rifle.
View Quote
I’m a gunsmith that runs their own shop. I was about to go into the right and wrong way to bed an action, but instead I’ll second what he said. He’s right on the money m
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got a gunsmithing book that detail how to stiffen up a cheap synthetic stock. I’m not sure that I would want to tackle it as my first bedding project but I’ll give you the shortened version of it.

First cut a grove in the forend of the stock where the stiffing ribs are, about 3/8 of an inch deep.
Next, take a piece of 1/4 inch all thread  and cut it to length that it will fit in the grove that you just made. This will stiffen the forend much like rebar.
Next, degrease every thing
Next, prep everything like you would to just bed the action but everything will need to be prepped. Use lots of release agent Even on areas where you don’t even plan on getting bedding compound as it will find a way for it to get on surfaces you didn’t even plan on being near the bedding compound.
Next mix your bedding material and fill all the voids of the stock from the forend to the rear of the receiver.
Then install the barreled action and tighten the action to the stock and wrap the barrel with surgical tubing (use action screws if you have them)
Wait for it to cure.... don’t be in a rush let it cure.

Clean up.

Are you still interested in doing it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top