Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 9:44:18 PM EDT
I'm looking to get into precision shooting and thought that .22 LR would be a good and inexpensive place to start. Shooting steel through milsurp guns is my typical modus operandi so I'm a bit lost. in I'm looking to buy used and spend under $700 between the rifle and glass.

I don't care if it's ugly or if it's 40 years old, it just has to shoot well. I'd even go as far as saying I'd prefer older because it holds its value. I know that with older target rifles, you're less likely to find an adjustable stock and free-float barrel. Is this essential?

There are SO many .22 rifles out there so it's hard to know in what direction to go in, especially when looking in the used market.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring your budget up to $1000ish, get a 10/22, an aftermarket heavy barrel, and decent glass. At that price point you can put together a literal tack driver
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Really happy with my savage mkii fvsr
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#3]
10/22 can't be beat.

Even in these crazy times if you really want a "target" build it would be better to buy it second hand from someone who has already spent a ton of $$$ and realizes they aren't going to get half their money back.

You want a fun plinker, buy a 10/22 take down or a MP15-22.

I have many 22's and love them all
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Get on Gun Broker and find a Walther target rifle. My Walther shot a nice 1 1/2" group at 168 yards!
Here is a really nice looking one for $850 would be a sweet shooter and trigger pull at 5-10oz.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890949112
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:49:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#5]
If you're getting into precision .22lr shooting, a 10/22 is not going to cut it. Not even close, IMO (unless you're getting a $600 custom shop build...those are NICE).

Look at what's used in NRL22 base class as a good baseline (ha!). I'd recommend a Tikka T1x, CZ 457 variety, or Bergara B-14R. Those are the best base class, then Savage's offering isn't bad, though most end up replacing the stocks and the triggers aren't as good.

Then pick a good ammo and start shooting! CCI standard velocity is kinda like the FGMM of .22lr ammo...shoots good in most rifles though probably not the absolute best. Once you get a feel for that, try some Eley or SK Rifle Match.

It's great fun and can get addicting! Best part is you can practice holdovers and all without requiring acres of range space.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#6]
CZ 457 if you want a bolt gun.  
S&W 15-22 or Ruger 10/22 if you want semi-auto plinker.
Lever actions are fun too.  Henry is what I’d personally look at.  
Taurus TX22 is a great plinking pistol.  Glock 44 is also nice but the Taurus is a better value.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By minion42:
If you're getting into precision .22lr shooting, a 10/22 is not going to cut it. Not even close, IMO (unless you're getting a $600 custom shop build...those are NICE).
View Quote

If your goal is precision shooting, the 10/22 is a non-starter.  Yes, a highly customized 10/22 is a great gun...but you won't see many at any NRL competition.  A KIDD or Volquartsen rifle will set you back at least $1,200....and shoot just as well as my $900 Bergara B14R.  

NRL Base Class is limited to a rifle and scope combo of $1,000 MSRP....but rifle and scope must be in current production. So, you can't use any CZ 452/455, or any old 22 target rifle.  

Tikka T1x is a great rifle.  T1x MTR is $499 MSRP and a little less street price.  $501 can get you a nice Athlon scope and plenty of ammo *if you had a time machine and could actually find 22lr ammo.  

Savage FV-SR is a fantastic rifle.  Magazine can suck, more slow to swap out quickly during a match.  Inexpensive.

CZ 457 is also terrific rifle.  They are more expensive, but excellent shooters.  Many models to choose from.

Bergara B14R.  This is what I shoot, and it's phenomenal.  Can't shoot it in Base Class; MSRP is $1,150.  Most of the Open Class shooters are shooting rifles from Vudoo, Bergara, or CZ.  Not a single 10/22 in 50-65 shooters, BTW.  

Bergara is coming out with the new BMR, basically a lighter version of the B14R.  The BMR is $565 MSRP, meant to compete with the Tikka T1x.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Every rifle out there has its pluses and minuses even the $3000 vudoos.
I attend at least one precision 22 match a month, usually more when work doesn’t get in the way. I have seen vudoos malfunction and also Kidd and custom 10/22’s choke as well. For NRL22 a 10/22 properly set up can be competitive but will be expensive.
I use a savage Mark II FV-SR with an athlon scope in base class.
Yes they do have limitations ( fragile magazines, weak extraction with CCI standard ammo, over all cheap feel)
But for the price are great ( I can buy 2 savages with money left over compared to a CZ, 3 or 4 compared to bergara and a dozen compared to a vudoo. !) my entire rig ( rifle rings scope mount scope cheek rest bipod spare magazines ) cost me less than $700.
I too am a fan of old wood and blue steel classics, and while not eligible for NRL22 base class ( if that even matters to you ?) can be a good option but are likely to be more expensive and in the last couple years I have been finding it harder to repair/replace parts on my older guns.
If you shoot precision matches with any regularity it is tough on guns and I would not want to break or bang up a beautiful classic doing these sorts of things
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better out of the box value than the tikka t1x.

I was pretty impressed how it felt and shot for a sub $500 gun.

You could easily find a $200-300 scope and stay within your budget.

The two in the box were the tikka and the rest were my 10/22 with a GM bbl. the 10/22 didn’t love the ammo, but it’s still a decent shooter.

The tikka clearly blew it out of the water. It shot like this with most of the ammo we tried.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#10]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

If your goal is precision shooting, the 10/22 is a non-starter.  Yes, a highly customized 10/22 is a great gun...but you won't see many at any NRL competition.  A KIDD or Volquartsen rifle will set you back at least $1,200....and shoot just as well as my $900 Bergara B14R.  

NRL Base Class is limited to a rifle and scope combo of $1,000 MSRP....but rifle and scope must be in current production. So, you can't use any CZ 452/455, or any old 22 target rifle.  

Tikka T1x is a great rifle.  T1x MTR is $499 MSRP and a little less street price.  $501 can get you a nice Athlon scope and plenty of ammo *if you had a time machine and could actually find 22lr ammo.  

Savage FV-SR is a fantastic rifle.  Magazine can suck, more slow to swap out quickly during a match.  Inexpensive.

CZ 457 is also terrific rifle.  They are more expensive, but excellent shooters.  Many models to choose from.

Bergara B14R.  This is what I shoot, and it's phenomenal.  Can't shoot it in Base Class; MSRP is $1,150.  Most of the Open Class shooters are shooting rifles from Vudoo, Bergara, or CZ.  Not a single 10/22 in 50-65 shooters, BTW.  

Bergara is coming out with the new BMR, basically a lighter version of the B14R.  The BMR is $565 MSRP, meant to compete with the Tikka T1x.

View Quote

Agreed and well said.

And thanks for correcting my info on the Bergara—I didn't realize that rifle cost so much!

I recommend the Tikka as well. Running one with a Vortex Diamondback 6-24 in base class.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm going to need to spend a bit more than $600 for a decent rifle. Any thoughts on a Ruger Precision .22?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Save up a few more bucks and get a Volquartsen

https://volquartsen.com/
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
It says "for the money" in the title.

Just buy a $200 savage and shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NorincoBoy:
Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm going to need to spend a bit more than $600 for a decent rifle. Any thoughts on a Ruger Precision .22?
View Quote

You want to get into "precision" shooting, yet want a freaking 10/22? I suppose your idea of precision and mine are quite different. The link to the Walther target rifle I put up in my other post IS precision! There is really no modern made rifle that will shoot anywhere close to that Walther besides an Anschutz that cost twice as much.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the Ruger Precision Rimfire with a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 and am real happy with it.  You can find the RPRR for $400 or less.  And that leaves you more wiggle room for good glass while staying under the NRL22 Base Class $1050 limit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#16]
View Quote

The Ruger "Precision" Rimfire is called that because it resembles a miniature version of the centerfire Precision Rifle.  Don't confuse their use of the word "Precision" to mean extreme accuracy.  

You are much better off with a CZ 457 or Tikka T1x.  

"Precision" and "Inexpensive" don't go well together.  You can have one or the other...rarely both.  

If your budget is going to stay $700, get a Savage FV-SR ($275 MSRP) and a nice scope, like an Athlon Argos BTR.  Drop it into a Boyds At-One stock, if you feel fancy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:47:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#17]

The Ruger "Precision" Rimfire is called that because it resembles a miniature version of the centerfire Precision Rifle.  Don't confuse their use of the word "Precision" to mean extreme accuracy.  

You are much better off with a CZ 457 or Tikka T1x.  

"Precision" and "Inexpensive" don't go well together.  You can have one or the other...rarely both.  

If your budget is going to stay $700, get a Savage FV-SR ($275 MSRP) and a nice scope, like an Athlon Argos BTR.  Drop it into a Boyds At-One stock, if you feel fancy.
View Quote

Just want to emphasize this post.

The RPR is universally disliked in the precision .22 world. And I don't mean by folks who recommend Walther and Anschutz rifles. By everyone.

The Tikka is $500...get that and a Primary Arms 4-14 R-grid and you'll have a nice setup. Better yet, save another $200 and get a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x. It's what you want.

You're talking "best .22 for the money." Sure, a benchrest gun will be more accurate but it'll also be impractical for anything but that. Get the Tikka. Or a good used CZ.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Ruger rifles these days are very hit and miss!
My smalll local NRL22 group has some running these.
A couple have had acceptable ( not great) function and accuracy out of the box.
On the other hand, others have sent the rifles back to the factory multiple times and were never quite right despite this.

When I started NRL22 the rules were slightly different with a max MSRP listed for scope and rifle separately and at the time the best option that made the cut was the savage. When the rules changed to a total combined MSRP for gun and optics, more options opened up. The tikka is very well regarded and appears an excellent choice.
Bear in mind for base class swapping the stock ( as someone else suggested) pushes you into open class.
Also if the rifle is not current production with a listed msrp it goes in open also.
I don’t care for some of the NRL22 rules regarding base/open but it is what it is. I think it is silly if the company that made my acceptable base class gun 2 years ago discontinued the model, it is no longer eligible as a base class gun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the advice. I scored the Walther for $650. Seems like a solid deal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the advice. I scored the Walther for $650. Seems like a solid deal.
View Quote
That was a smoking good deal. You will find it will shoot most anything in a ragged 1 hole group at 25 yards and do the same at 50 with Eley or other good std velocity ammo.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#21]
You sure that was a good deal? I know nothing about this gun. Impulse buy lol. There's not much info out there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:42:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#22]
You sure that was a good deal? I know nothing about this gun. Impulse buy lol. There's not much info out there.
View Quote

It's a fine firearm, but a very different type of gun than we all thought you would want.  That rifle would be used in something like a Benchrest or NRA Small Bore match...not something you will ever see in a NRL22 competition.  

I don't think you will like the sights or loading one cartridge at a time, but YMMV.  But, I'm sure it will be a great shooter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Ruger precision rimfire
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#24]
You have to tighten up your definition of "percision shooting" for us.

Some of the savage guns are pretty good .

Take a 10/22 and toss some (ah lots) of money at it and you can do some nice work .

A real match rifle like a Anshutz or a Walther is , with the proper ammo in a altogether different class .

All can be lots of fun but you need to define what you want to make it do .

There are some deals in used match rifles but generally they are sold back and forth by match shooters and not do much by regular gun shops.
Even after you hunt down a match rifle iron sights or optics are usually extra
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#25]

It's a fine firearm, but a very different type of gun than we all thought you would want.  That rifle would be used in something like a Benchrest or NRA Small Bore match...not something you will ever see in a NRL22 competition.  

I don't think you will like the sights or loading one cartridge at a time, but YMMV.  But, I'm sure it will be a great shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think everyone else was thinking he wanted a mag fed rifle. He wanted a good quality gun that was accurate, he bought that. Also there is nothing wrong with single shot, it teaches discipline over shooting fast and hoping you hit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Yeah this 100%.

Guess I misunderstood what OP was wanting?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coble9] [#27]
Originally Posted By macro:
Bring your budget up to $1000ish, get a 10/22, an aftermarket heavy barrel, and decent glass. At that price point you can put together a literal tack driver
View Quote

This would be my suggestion. Not sure on the total price as of now though.

10/22
Kidd barrel (I went with a kids lightweight, you could save $100 by just going non threaded stainless)
DIY trigger job, just stone the surfaces mirror smooth and try to not change the angle much.
Decent stock (I went for Magpul hunter with the cheek riser)
Decent glass Vortex, Athlon, Arken, etc. FFP mil with a “Christmas tree” reticle.  (my shortcoming, still has a POS on it)
Harris style bipod
Rear bag
A couple extra 10 rd magazines

Should be all in under $1k and capable of sub moa.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:35:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Peahi] [#28]
I"m gonna suggest a cz 457...getting one has been revolutionary for me.  its probably gonna be hard getting one though, like everything else, and the price will be higher these days probably. I got my at Bud's.  Unfortunately, once you add your optics, you'll be over your budget.   The gun is super fun and super accurate.  I think it would be worth stretching your budget. I think you'll need to spend over 2x your budget though to get a good set up for the long run (if you want to get a quality optic, which I think you should. Don't buy a garbage optic and need to buy something else shortly after).  A tikka would be good too.

Once you get a good accurate 22 like a CZ or Tikka, you will be hooked.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:35:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Peahi] [#29]
edit: duplicate post
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread was very expensive for me.

CZ457
Athalon Scope
Talley Rings
Harris bipod

I was looking for a Bergara but I think it is unobtanium in my area, probably a good thing. Quite good suggestions. Having a blast with it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bart305:
This thread was very expensive for me.

CZ457
Athalon Scope
Talley Rings
Harris bipod

I was looking for a Bergara but I think it is unobtanium in my area, probably a good thing. Quite good suggestions. Having a blast with it.
View Quote

Lol sounds very similar to one I just put together.

Attachment Attached File

Haven't shot it yet. Bought it just because I didn't have a bolt action host for my incarcerated DA Mask.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top