Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2022 1:11:39 AM EDT
I'm curious: does anyone have a good resource to compare either ballistics charts or BC ratings or... whatever... with all these cartridges the world has to offer? Specifically, at greater distances (1k-2k yards or so)?

I've found google inadequate to really compare, say, the new 7mm prc to a 300 norma mag or a 6.5-300 or etc. etc. etc...

I think it'd be useful to have this kind of thing, even if approximate (because handloading if nothing else), in one place.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably the easiest way to compare cartridges, use the data off factory ammo..most all  load the top high BC bullets, all you need is velocity at the muzzle and JBMs BC calculator to compare them...I know your handholds may produce better, but then again, any case should do better hand loading if you treat them the same, using production ammo gets a level playing field and honest results between cases...

I will say this, for over the counter common production bullets, it is getting pretty hard to go any further then your favorite 30 cal cartridge..The top bullets from hornaday and Berger far out number the variety other makers have for high BC bullets in smaller calibers.. Hell berger has over 30 bullets just for 30 cal. ranging from 115 grain to 245 grain with BC's from .289 for the 115 to .846 for the 245..Hornadays A-tip 's BC is .878.... Bergers 195 7mm bullet is only .755 and they only make 12 different bullets total for 7mm....

You might try digging thru this guys stuff, he has spent more time then anyone else I know loading and shooting and comparing all the latest greatest from across the world as far as cartridges and bullets..He loads long, chambers to take maximum advantage of the case/bullet combo and then compares to others..I've found his stuff to match right up to what we have been seeing with the little we play with different cases/bullets...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs3sYk1tuP5Er95EniC-uMw

JBM BC ....

https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top