Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2017 5:40:53 PM EDT
Brand new T/C compass, .30-06. First rounds fired through gun. Looks like some primer cratering with factory 150gr Federal SP.

Primers appear raised but after closer inspection they are flush, edges look rounded.

Extraction was smooth, bolt wasn't sticky or anything.

Just soft primers and a large FP hole or should I be concerned about headspace?

Thoughts?
Attachment Attached File

Bolt faceAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
@dryflash3

@Motor1

I know,  not reloading related but was hoping for your opinion here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
The primers are extruding into the firing pin channel.

Its common amongst off the rack rifles.  I don't see other obvious signs of high pressure, but you're close to piercing the primers, so that is likely the limit.

I wouldn't worry it much with this rifle.  Probably no remedy.
View Quote
Thanks Aero, I handload quite a bit but not .30-06, these are new factory loads.

Do you think it would be wise to chrono these and then use that as a approximate limit to how fast I should take this bullet weight when handloading? Also, possibly try Rem and Win primers and see if they also crater?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:17:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:50:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#5]
AS556,

Those look pretty normal for factory loads. It could be like AeroE said or it simply could be the primer flowed around the pin tip a little and there wasn't enough set back to flatten it out. I see the flowing around the tip a lot with low pressure cast loads because they often don't create enough pressure to push the casing back against the bolt face hard enough to break the grip of the hold the casing has on the chamber wall.

The reason I believe it's normal for factory loads is factory ammo is basically a loose fit so it's able to chamber in any in-spec chamber. So when fired the firing pin drives the casing forward until it head spaces off of the shoulder which leaves a gap between the bolt face and case head. The rise in pressure grips the chamber wall and the primer backs out.

Checking the velocity of those would not be a bad idea for creating a reference. At least you'll know after you find your own sweet spot how your load compares to the factory numbers.

When you shoot your first hand loads you'll be able to see if there is a difference in the way the primers look.

Motor
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AS556] [#6]
Awesome,  thanks guys.

I'll try a different manufacturer and see how those primers look and by then I'll buy some dies and work up some handloads. I'm not going to worry too much about it. Unfortunately can't comment on accuracy yet, today was too nasty to zero so just did a function check but action was smooth and feeding and extraction was nice also.  I think it'll be a shooter, the trigger is very nice for the price IMO and recoil was mild, even my 110lb girlfriend had no issues with it.

I was just a bit concerned as I was given some -06 brass that didn't exhibit any cratering so when examining my brass it gave me pause.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Should you "be concerned":: Yes, absolutely,
Should you "do something about it":: in my opinion, you are seeing the onset signs of pressure and have no signs of imminent pressure problems.
A lot of factory bolts display primer cratering.

If you reload, keep a log of the number of times each case is used.
If the cases are losing their primer pockets in 5 or fewer reload cycles, then pressure really is too high.
If you aren't losing primer pockets in 15 reload cycles, the pressures are acceptable (but likely not "fine").
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I understood you to say factory loads. Most common cause of factory loads showing pressure signs is if they’ve been left in the vehicle or in the direct sunlight. If run through the rifle hot they may be a little hotter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top