Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 12:16:52 AM EDT
I had an issue last range trip with my arca plate that connects my hog saddle to tripod. Never had this happen before. It was very cold so maybe that had something to do with it whether metallurgical or numb fingers...

Tightening worked to a point but it was not ideal and I definitely don't want this happening when it counts. My first idea is to drill and tap the clamp for a 6-32 grub screw to prevent rearward movement.

Have you guys ever had this happen and is there a better solution?

pic for visualization:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Most ARCA stuff is setup with set screws in each end of the plate that limits how far the plate can move in the clamp...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:42:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffman_blasting] [#2]
That makes a lot of sense, the clamp has the recesses for the studs but the plate that came with the hogsaddle is the weak  link. I'm thinking that for the cost of the tap, bit etc I should get a better plate. I thought it was pretty short anyways and I having more bearing surface to work with would help too. I didn't know about the set screws, no sense in reinventing the wheel! Thanks for enlightening me.

Weaksauce plate Edit: I realized that there are removable studs included with the plate so this probably should be considered user error.
Attachment Attached File

sunwayfoto clamp
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Duffman_blasting:
That makes a lot of sense, the clamp has the recesses for the studs but the plate that came with the hogsaddle is the weak  link. I'm thinking that for the cost of the tap, bit etc I should get a better plate. I thought it was pretty short anyways and I having more bearing surface to work with would help too. I didn't know about the set screws, no sense in reinventing the wheel! Thanks for enlightening me.

Weaksauce plate Edit: I realized that there are removable studs included with the plate so this probably should be considered user error.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470190/C15FBF06-7952-4B6F-8B69-C4E0F36FD75A_jpe-1825964.JPG

sunwayfoto clamp
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470190/A763CE16-CE24-405A-BB22-74FD7E8E0BF3_jpe-1825963.JPG
View Quote

Yep, your plate is drilled for it, you just need the screws..If you want a bigger plate, Ebay has a huge selection...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
While the studs will slot into the grooves and stop movement after a certain point, their design is meant as an emergency stop so a camera won't slide out of the clamp if you forgot to tighten it or didn't tighten it fully.  They won't really solve the primary issue you are having which is a lack of clamping force.  Those studs will just chew up your clamp over time as the plate is loose and wallows around.

You may want to look at a lever style clamp like RRS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ludicrous_Speed:
While the studs will slot into the grooves and stop movement after a certain point, their design is meant as an emergency stop so a camera won't slide out of the clamp if you forgot to tighten it or didn't tighten it fully.  They won't really solve the primary issue you are having which is a lack of clamping force.  Those studs will just chew up your clamp over time as the plate is loose and wallows around.

You may want to look at a lever style clamp like RRS.
View Quote

The ball mount you’re using should have a clamp on the other side right OP?
If so tighten like normal. Release the lever and tighten 1/4 turn more. Should help prevent the movement
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Never tried it in this context but you could try Rosin?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:

The ball mount you're using should have a clamp on the other side right OP?
If so tighten like normal. Release the lever and tighten 1/4 turn more. Should help prevent the movement
View Quote
The mount I have on the ball head is a screw not lever, but even according to RRS they have a bit more force than levers. That might just be on paper though, bc I expect it really depends on how good of a grip you can get on the screw.

I got the longest plate I could fit in the clamp and also got the proper stop screws for the plate I originally had.

I've not shot with it yet but just playing around with it, it seems to be a lot more rigid. The stops alone help drastically.

If the issue continues I'll get a lever plate and see how that goes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Duffman_blasting:
The mount I have on the ball head is a screw not lever, but even according to RRS they have a bit more force than levers. That might just be on paper though, bc I expect it really depends on how good of a grip you can get on the screw.

I got the longest plate I could fit in the clamp and also got the proper stop screws for the plate I originally had.

I've not shot with it yet but just playing around with it, it seems to be a lot more rigid. The stops alone help drastically.

If the issue continues I'll get a lever plate and see how that goes.
View Quote

If it still moves, you might try one of these plates..it will stop the movement..I will say that on my 300rum using Arca-Swiss for both the bipod and the tripod, I don't have issues with movement on the plates as long as I get the knob tight...

I use MPA's plate/adapter on the bipod and the ball head clamp that came with the tripod..

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Tactical-Tools-Arca-Swiss-Dovetail/dp/B07NRMZC95?th=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top