Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2022 12:13:08 PM EDT
If so, how was your experience building up a rifle with one of their actions?

thinking of using it to build a new rifle for LR hunting...
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I just built a rifle with one of their actions.  They make a great product and their customer service is impeccable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Great experience... actions work as advertised.... best customer service I've experienced in a long time... just top-notch.

There are a lot of great actions on the market today.. but it's expensive to try them all ... I think I've found who I'm going to stick with
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put one together last week with an Origin LA and Proof CF 300 PRC prefit barrel.  It went together great, headspace checked out perfect.  I put it in a KRG Bravo with a TriggerTech Diamond.  As I get into working up some loads now it's looking pretty promising.  

Quick 4 shots to warm things up this morning before I started testing more loads.

12 shots with 225gr. ELD-M and H1000, each with 0.5gr higher charge weight and the Magnetospeed hanging off of the suppressor.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#5]
They work perfect.
I've used both Straight Jacket Armory, Altus and South Precision shouldered pre-fits.  I'll head spaced perfect and shot tiny cloverleaves.     1 proof SS the rest Bartliens
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SDeadeye:
I just put one together last week with an Origin LA and Proof CF 300 PRC prefit barrel.  It went together great, headspace checked out perfect.  I put it in a KRG Bravo with a TriggerTech Diamond.  As I get into working up some loads now it's looking pretty promising.  

http://i.imgur.com/AfA3T44h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/x8VvNe8h.jpg

Quick 4 shots to warm things up this morning before I started testing more loads.
http://i.imgur.com/yLfA7aEh.jpg

12 shots with 225gr. ELD-M and H1000, each with 0.5gr higher charge weight and the Magnetospeed hanging off of the suppressor.
http://i.imgur.com/oioIxC4h.jpg

View Quote

that is my build!
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for all the ideas fellas!

The Zermatt seems exactly what I am looking for...
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#9]
Originally Posted By heron163:
thanks for all the ideas fellas!

The Zermatt seems exactly what I am looking for...
View Quote

If you don’t like it just let us know and I’m sure one of us will take it off your hands for a discount.
 Make sure to get your go gages and I’d also strongly recommend the action wrench.
I use that and the viper barrel vice with great results.

I mounted the vice to some square tube and use my truck’s tow  receiver to service barrels

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]

that is my build!
View Quote

You have good taste!  I am very much enjoying it so far.  Easily one of the most accurate rifles with the least amount of effort that I own.  

When I was looking a few weeks ago the Origin action wrenches were out of stock across the entire internets.  I ended up ordering one from Ebay from Spear Tool and Machine that attaches to a regular 3/8" socket extension.  It fit perfectly and worked great to torque the action to 100 ft/lb.  I did have to take the ejector out, but that is a 1 minute operation to take out and reinstall.  The Viper barrel vise worked well for the Proof barrel also.  NSS had headspace gauges in stock, I just ordered the GO gauge and put a piece of scotch tape on the back to test for NOGO.  You do have to take the ejector piece off of the bolt also to work with the headspace gauge, but that's also an easy deal that only takes a paper clip.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
tell me about the bottom metal you are using - is that included with the stock or is it another maker?

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently did a .223 build in an Origin action. I've been very happy and it was easy to assemble on my own. Another +1 for the Viper barrel vise.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I love mine.

+1 to the viper action wrench as well.

I have 3 barrels. Proof carbon 7 SAUM for hunting Elk. Proof Carbon 6.5 CM for hunting pronghorn and deer, and a x-caliber 6.5 I use for blasting at the range.

Need to add a 223 barrel as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
When they were called Bighorn actions they were outstanding and customer service was incredible.

After being sold out to Zermatt, quality slipped a little and customer service also slipped.

I had a TL3 that didnt want to feed 223.  I called to ask about the revised extractor they had for 223.  I got the run around for weeks.  Finally cut bait, ordered a new extractor off their website, installed it, sold the TL3 and then gave my TL2 barreled action to my niece.

Ordered a Terminus and havent looked back.
View Quote

That’s sucks but I guess all businesses have a bad moment.  I’ve had great luck with them.  The Origin is so popular it’s easier to find shouldered prefits without as much wait.
 Same with lightly used barrels popping up especially in profiles that favor long range hunting setups.
      We are definitely in good times for the number of quality actions on the market.   I’ve heard nothing but praise for the Terminus.   I’ve been looking at maybe a ARC just to try something new.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

This is a pretty standard group for my rifle. It says as much about the barrel (proof carbon) and bullet (Badlands BDII) than anything.

That said you won’t be disappointed. My TL3 was worth the price tag.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]
tell me about the bottom metal you are using - is that included with the stock or is it another maker?

thanks!
View Quote

With the KRG Bravo the bottom metal is all included and sized for AICS CIP length magazines.  I bought the mags from KRG at the same time as the stock because they took $10/ea off the price is you get them together.

Pretty well have a load nailed down for the 225gr. ELD-M now.  245gr. EOL's are up next.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm quite satisfied with my TL3.  I bought it when they were still Bighorn.  They've made a few revisions to the action since I bought mine.  I was a bit underwhelmed with the product I originally received back in 2016, but I recently sent mine in for a broken bolt knob and they (Zermatt at this point) basically brought my action up to current specs, and now the action is quite impressive.  They've made a lot of minor improvements that add up to a big difference.  The current TL3 actions are superb, and leave me wanting for nothing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MKEman:
I'm quite satisfied with my TL3.  I bought it when they were still Bighorn.  They've made a few revisions to the action since I bought mine.  I was a bit underwhelmed with the product I originally received back in 2016, but I recently sent mine in for a broken bolt knob and they (Zermatt at this point) basically brought my action up to current specs, and now the action is quite impressive.  They've made a lot of minor improvements that add up to a big difference.  The current TL3 actions are superb, and leave me wanting for nothing.
View Quote

@MKEman what changed were made? Mine was also purchased while they were still bighorn. Wonder if I could send mine in to be updated to current spec.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Many changes...

Stainless vs DLC receiver body.  CRN finish vs nitride finish for the bolt body and bolt head.  These changes were to reduce friction, making the action smoother (which it did IMO).

Bolt handle attachment was redesigned.  They had several instances of the bolt handle breaking off using the original attachment method (including on my rifle).

Changed the location of the fluting on the bolt body so it doesn't intersect the cross pin.  This was done to minimize bolt bind (which it does, IMO).

They also offer trigger timing, free if charge at time of purchase, assuming they have your trigger.  That was not available when I bought mine.

To be honest, I had multiple issues with my rifle.  I received an uncoated, corroding bolt body.  The finish on my bolt head was flaking off.  And then my bolt handle broke.  And I had a crazy heavy bolt lift (not their fault, the trigger needed to be timed).  When I sent it in, they offered to give me whole new bolt assembly, but I didn't want a stainless action with a black bolt, I don't like the two-tone look, so I asked them to DLC coat the body. I also sent in a trigger so they could time it.

What I got back was perfect.  The DLC coating on the action body is perfect.  The new bolt does bind less and it's much smoother to operate with the DLC body and new bolt.  The bolt lift is much improved, my old setup had a much, much, heavier bolt lift than my buddies AXMC.  It was crazy 🤣.

I was very underwhelmed with the action I had received and was using... But now I'm quite impressed.  I'm not sure they would just give you these revisions.  I they only serviced my action with these revisions due to the fact that the rifle needed to be repaired anyway...

I know they will time a trigger for a small fee.  I think they will also DLC coat the action for a fee.  But I'm not sure about the revisions to the bolt body, you'd likely need to purchase a new bolt or have some issue requiring repair to get something done without cost.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MKEman:
Many changes...

Stainless vs DLC receiver body.  CRN finish vs nitride finish for the bolt body and bolt head.  These changes were to reduce friction, making the action smoother (which it did IMO).

Bolt handle attachment was redesigned.  They had several instances of the bolt handle breaking off using the original attachment method (including on my rifle).

Changed the location of the fluting on the bolt body so it doesn't intersect the cross pin.  This was done to minimize bolt bind (which it does, IMO).

They also offer trigger timing, free if charge at time of purchase, assuming they have your trigger.  That was not available when I bought mine.

To be honest, I had multiple issues with my rifle.  I received an uncoated, corroding bolt body.  The finish on my bolt head was flaking off.  And then my bolt handle broke.  And I had a crazy heavy bolt lift (not their fault, the trigger needed to be timed).  When I sent it in, they offered to give me whole new bolt assembly, but I didn't want a stainless action with a black bolt, I don't like the two-tone look, so I asked them to DLC coat the body. I also sent in a trigger so they could time it.

What I got back was perfect.  The DLC coating on the action body is perfect.  The new bolt does bind less and it's much smoother to operate with the DLC body and new bolt.  The bolt lift is much improved, my old setup had a much, much, heavier bolt lift than my buddies AXMC.  It was crazy 🤣.

I was very underwhelmed with the action I had received and was using... But now I'm quite impressed.  I'm not sure they would just give you these revisions.  I they only serviced my action with these revisions due to the fact that the rifle needed to be repaired anyway...

I know they will time a trigger for a small fee.  I think they will also DLC coat the action for a fee.  But I'm not sure about the revisions to the bolt body, you'd likely need to purchase a new bolt or have some issue requiring repair to get something done without cost.
View Quote

Yeah I believe I have an old bolt body. Bind is a bit of an issue but it’s not terrible. It’s definitely smoothed out with use. I do have a DLC action.

Maybe a new bolt body would be a worthwhile investment it sounds like. Doesn’t hurt to have a spare on hand anyway.

Thanks for the post!
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Just built one this weekend.  

An origin short action, small bolt face.  Put a 223 match Criterion 26 inch Varmint barrel, Bix 'n Andy Tac Sport 2 stage trigger and a Vortex Diamond Back Tactical (inexpensive) scope.  
Used a KRG Bravo stock I had laying on the bench. Finished the whole project in a couple hours.

Action and barrel from  Northland Shooters Supply
It shoots very well.

SRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top