Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 6/9/2020 12:12:14 AM EDT
Looking for a quality rest for load development. I confess, I dont consider myself steady enough to still go to a sandbag anymore so looking to get a mechanical rest. The Lead Sleds have a bit of a reputation for beating up scopes pretty badly.

Sort of looking at the Caldwell Precision Turret, looks like a fantastically stable, easily adjustable rest that allows for a normal recoil pulse to keep from tearing up scopes.

Just curious if anyone has experience?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:51:10 AM EDT
2Jokerswild,

I have one and it is well made, sturdy and great for bench-rest work. Only thing I would like different would be more adjustment up & down on the lower pistol grip platform. Good luck with it if you get one.......
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:45:48 AM EDT
Amazon listed this at 10.6 lbs, not bad. The pistol grip platform is also removable which is another plus.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:03:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/9/2020 11:09:59 AM EDT by smullen]
If you are going to go that route, why not a whole sled to set the gun in?

I have one like this for home range shooting...
My step some always brings his rifles over to sight them in using it.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

*** I don't know why it does that, breaks the picture, but link to product still works..
Here's what it should look like. Has dual tubes, so that if you are shooting a rifle with a Magazine, it goes between the tubes and doesn't hit it, like the older Single tube model. Also, I read the comment about beating up scopes...  Not sure what calibers they are shooting, but we've shot many calibers from .22 to .300 Win Mag and never had issues...  I mostly shoot 5.56, .308 and step sons 6.5..

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:31:00 AM EDT
I see a lot of guys using that rest and the lead sleds.  I have that rest on my wish list.  I prefer the ease of use of a good bipod, but can see the advantage of having a more solid rest.

I thought I wanted a sled, but it is just too big of a bitch to deal with, considering all of the rest of the shit I haul to the range.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:42:05 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I see a lot of guys using that rest and the lead sleds.  I have that rest on my wish list.  I prefer the ease of use of a good bipod, but can see the advantage of having a more solid rest.  

I thought I wanted a sled, but it is just too big of a bitch to deal with, considering all of the rest of the shit I haul to the range.
View Quote
I will admit that, it great to use, but a bit heavy to lug around much..  
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:19:34 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
If you are going to go that route, why not a whole sled to set the gun in?

I have one like this for home range shooting...
My step some always brings his rifles over to sight them in using it.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCLR2L0

*** I don't know why it does that, breaks the picture, but link to product still works..
Here's what it should look like. Has dual tubes, so that if you are shooting a rifle with a Magazine, it goes between the tubes and doesn't hit it, like the older Single tube model. Also, I read the comment about beating up scopes...  Not sure what calibers they are shooting, but we've shot many calibers from .22 to .300 Win Mag and never had issues...  I mostly shoot 5.56, .308 and step sons 6.5..
https://mountainhuntsupplies.com/image/cache/catalog/product/1/612/149023-518x478.jpg

View Quote
The lead sled reputation for beating up scopes, this looks like it should allow for a more natural recoil.
Top Top