Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2019 7:35:53 PM EDT
That is all.
With all the new calibers I don't read much on here about the .300 Win Mag.

In the process of buying/building one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
That is all.
With all the new calibers I don't read much on here about the .300 Win Mag.

In the process of buying/building one.
View Quote
It is my go to deer rifle, if that counts.  It simply does the job better than any caliber I ever shot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That was my thought process as well.
I know the 6.5 is superior with it's ballistics, less recoil, less cost, but I'm not confident in it putting a deer down at distance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is resting until hunting season.  That’s when my 6.5s get to play.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably spend the same time on my 300 as I do with my 6.5. It really just depends on my mood.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Also my go to deer rifle.  Picked up a barrel in it for my chassis rifle too, haven’t found the right load yet for paper punching.  While many newer cartridges offer some advantages for target work, it’s hard to beat heavyweight, high bc 30 caliber expanding bullets for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:20:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I still use mine.. With that said, if I were buying a new deer rifle, odds are it would be a 6.5 CM. Or maybe a 6.5 PRC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
My hunting partner just went back to his 300 after his 6.5 didnt do the job... We tracked two different deer for hours, lots of blood, no carcass. The 300 dropped a black bear(350ish) & 10pt(180ish) in their tracks following weekend. "Link"(as in missing) can shoot, so shot placement wasnt an issue. Not sure what happend, just reporting our experience.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ICU:
My hunting partner just went back to his 300 after his 6.5 didnt do the job... We tracked two different deer for hours, lots of blood, no carcass. The 300 dropped a black bear(350ish) & 10pt(180ish) in their tracks following weekend. "Link"(as in missing) can shoot, so shot placement wasnt an issue. Not sure what happend, just reporting our experience.
View Quote
What distance and bullet?

Inquiring minds
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#9]
This kind of question is valid, but a lot of it should come down to what you're trying to do with the rifle.  Are you a target/competition shooter?...is this a big game hunting application?...are you just wanting one rifle to do it all?

For our white tail deer in Texas, the 6.5CM is way more than adequate.  Mule deer in the Rockies or elsewhere?...300WM is probably a more sure option.

For personal target shooting or competition, I don't think there's any argument that the 6.5CM will be superior.  You can shoot a 6.5CM all day, but followup shots and lengthy bench sessions with a 300WM bolt gun isn't that pleasant.

I'm sure some of the he-men will poo-poo the idea that a 300WM has any annoying recoil, but in the real world, most shooters will find the 6.5CM way, way more pleasant...and cheaper ammo for the most part.

The 300WM is an awesome caliber.  It's probably the best all-around cartridge for North America for just about anything moving on two legs or four.  The 6.5CM is way more fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I use mine for everything .
I have loads for 1000 yd shooting.

For whitetail I load 150 Noslers, very little recoil and it works every time.

I have nothing against the 6.5 Creedmoor, I just have no need for it when my .300 will do everything the 6.5 will do and more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

What distance and bullet?

Inquiring minds
View Quote
Approx 125y from a stand. I cant say for certain the ammo... I know it was factory & not reloads, Ill ask to be certain. My shoulder still tweaked from getting the bear out of woods, that I do know
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#12]
I shoot it from a 7.5 pound rifle.

(With a muzzle brake of course).

Here is a thread I created on the gun (from the archives):  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/A-sub-MOA-rifle-for-less-than-the-price-of-a-HiPoint-40-UPDATE-sub-MOA-achieved-pics-on-p-3/5-2047837/

I love it.

And yes - there are YouTube videos arguing that 6.5 Creedmoor is equivalent to 300 Win Mag, but:

- a Creedmoor cannot launch a 220 grain SMK nor a heavy Berger VLD at close to 3000 fps - and those bullets will carry more energy further down range than any Creedmoor ever will.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
I shoot it from a 7.5 pound rifle.

(With a muzzle brake of course).

I love it.

And yes - there are YouTube videos arguing that 6.5 Creedmoor is equivalent to 300 Win Mag, but:

- a Creedmoor cannot launch a 220 grain SMK nor a heavy Berger VLD at close to 3000 fps - and those bullets will carry more energy further down range than any Creedmoor ever will.
View Quote
Gotta agree on the long range energy.  6.5CM can be pretty much on par for accuracy at distance with a 300WM, but not in energy/stopping power at distance.

Still, it's fairly amazing how much energy a good 6.5CM bullet retains at distance.  28 Nosler, 7mm Mag, and some others give 300WM a real challenge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Tikka T3 300 wm

McMillan Sako stock

SWFA fixed 10X

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Its to under powered for hunting or long range shooting so I prefer 300 norma and up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RePp:
Its to under powered for hunting or long range shooting so I prefer 300 norma and up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

View Quote
RePp is being sacrrcastic I believe,  although I think he does favor the 6._godmore family of cartridges... His norma choice is even more ironic though...

Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm using Winchester brand brass, Remington 9.5 Magnum primers and RE-22 to get 2900 fps w/Sierra 190 Match King's and 2800 fps w/Sierra 200's (old style).

These are target loads, close to maximum. Excellent accuracy and my muzzle brake tames the recoil. I'm jumping the bullets .025".

Remington 40-X with a 27.5" barrel. Single shot short action.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#21]
I know the 6.5 is superior with it's ballistics, less recoil, less cost, but I'm not confident in it putting a deer down at distance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What distance?  I have shoot deer out to about 600 with my 6.5 and it has always put them down.  Never had one make it further than about 15 yards.  If you do your job, the round will do its.

Ammo?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one. It's built on a Rem 700 action.  It's my elk rifle and have never needed more than one shot with it on a deer or elk. Don't like the recoil much though. Next to my 7MM Rem Mag it is my favorite hunting rifle. The only bad thing I will say about the 300 WinMag is that due to it's recoil, I probably don't shoot it as often as I should. Just not much fun shooting it after a few rounds down range. Guess I am getting old. But it is clearly a great elk rifle caliber. I have taken several elk at ranges over 300 yds with it.

I have a friend who shoots P-Dogs with me each year and he has a custom varmint rifle based on the 300 Win. Can't argue with his success with it but it comes at a price to his body by the end of the day. He's a better man than me I guess. My 6MM BR is a great P-Dog rifle and it has virtually no recoil. Oh well......
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:31:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flinch08] [#23]
Wife does. 370 last fall.

Attachment Attached File

Keep telling her she needs to shoot the MOA challenge with it. She is on there with her .223.

Putting together a 6.5Godmoor for her this winter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#24]
264 Win Mag

300 Weatherby Mag

Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]

While that's certainly a nice gun, it doesn't tell me anything about 300 WM.

have you owned or hunted with a 300 WM?
View Quote
Love my 300 Win Mag, like already said you have a range of bullet weights across the board.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I started with a 300wm, light weight rifle.  A walmart model 70 just over 7lbs.  Shitty hard plastic stock. Pencil barrel.  Shitty scope.  Worst possible choice for a young man. It soured me on long range shooting for a long time.  I would up giving the damn thing away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Shoot a 300 bolt gun in McMillan A4. Great gun, puts a ton of energy on target, can shoot it all day. It's a heavier build.

Also started to shoot a 6.5cm barrel in my MWS. Really like it, gives gas guns a nice bump in range, nice recoil impulse.

Love both rounds, they have their place.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#29]
300wm shooting a 215 Berger at over 3000 fps is deadly to all north American game at distance. Ammo is readily available if yours was to get lost too. Hard to beat in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#30]

While that's certainly a nice gun, it doesn't tell me anything about 300 WM.

have you owned or hunted with a 300 WM?
View Quote
Yes I have and yes.  Currently I don’t (300 Weatherby).  It killed just fine.

If you don’t mind the recoil, the increased velocities and energy, over the 30 cal non magnums, will show their advantages past 300 yards.  It is overkill for sheep, deer and pronghorn.

Where I live, I prefer the 257/264 magnums and the 7mm magnum for sheep, deer and pronghorn. I prefer the 338 magnum over it for larger game.

Hope that helped.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a 300WM Barrel for my Barrett MRAD   and probably not going to take it out lol

for the short action rounds  .308 and 6.5 CM that is what my LaRue PrediTober  is for..

It is hard to argue withe a 230gr berger going 2800FPS
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
A friend of mine hit an elk broadside this fall and same thing. Blood but no dropped elk... this guy hunts all over the world. He's lost faith in the 6.5 and is back to the 300wm.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rezarf2:

A friend of mine hit an elk broadside this fall and same thing. Blood but no dropped elk... this guy hunts all over the world. He's lost faith in the 6.5 and is back to the 300wm.
View Quote
That's because the 6.5 may be accurate at 500 yards, but it's also out of steam. Just look at the ballistics charts. It will punch a hole and cause bleeding, but the hydrostatic shock isn't there. I hunt out west every year and think the 6.5 is a stupid fad.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#34]
Originally Posted By Flathead9:

That's because the 6.5 may be accurate at 500 yards, but it's also out of steam. Just look at the ballistics charts. It will punch a hole and cause bleeding, but the hydrostatic shock isn't there. I hunt out west every year and think the 6.5 is a stupid fad.
View Quote
I agree. If your using say a 300 win mag for critters up to deer size and 338 for  elk and keeping shots under 200 yards you'll be fine. I've hunted elk deer etc since I was a kid and get to go on a handful of hunts a year but its always incredibly informative when people from back east with far more experience come and share the wisdom.  Letting everyone know how terribly ineffective the 6.5 is is one of those things. I dont care if its a 26 nosler, 264 win mag down to a 6.5 grendel the 6.5 is just not a killing round. If your a true american you use a 30 cal. Thank you for sharing your first hand experience on seeing 6.5s fail in field. Speaking from my own experience I've never seen a deer or elk wounded when shot with say 270, 7 mag, 06 etc but a 6.5 surely will. Like you said 6.5s are accurate but that doesnt really mean anything. Just because you can accurately put a bullet holes through the heart and lungs of a animal doesnt mean anything, It needs knock down power.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree. If your using say a 300 win mag for critters up to deer size and 338 for  elk and keeping shots under 200 yards you'll be fine. I've hunted elk deer etc since I was a kid and get to go on a handful of hunts a year but its always incredibly informative when people from back east with far more experience come and share the wisdom.  Letting everyone know how terribly ineffective the 6.5 is is one of those things. I dont care if its a 26 nosler, 264 win mag down to a 6.5 grendel the 6.5 is just not a killing round. If your a true american you use a 30 cal. Thank you for sharing your first hand experience on seeing 6.5s fail in field. Speaking from my own experience I've never seen a deer or elk wounded when shot with say 270, 7 mag, 06 etc but a 6.5 surely will. Like you said 6.5s are accurate but that doesnt really mean anything. Just because you can accurately put a bullet holes through the heart and lungs of a animal doesnt mean anything, It needs knock down power.
View All Quotes

Here I was just about to tag you and youre already here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m shooting more 300 WM than ever.

Also check out the 300 WM featured on the  YouTube channels Johny’s Reloading Bench and Bolt Action Reloading; both guys bought TC Compass rifles (mine is also 300 Win Mag) and are loading for them.  They are surprisingly accurate budget rifles.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Dislike it if you want, but 6.5 CM is far from a fad. It's an outstanding cartridge within its intended parameters, and the market supports it very well.

Never got into .300 WM, but, for my purposes, I'd go with .300 PRC for greater flexibility, and, specifically, to take advantage of the 225 gr. ELD-type bullets.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lew:
Dislike it if you want, but 6.5 CM is far from a fad. It's an outstanding cartridge within its intended parameters, and the market supports it very well.

Never got into .300 WM, but, for my purposes, I'd go with .300 PRC for greater flexibility, and, specifically, to take advantage of the 225 gr. ELD-type bullets.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

And out of steam at 500 yards? ELD-X expands down to 1600 FPS which expands at 850 yards for me... Even on targets I don't go transonic until 1250 yards in Florida at sea level. To the OP, I assume they do. I just bought my first 300WM and I'm a 6.5CM convert from .308.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Arfcom needs a Hunting Stats number for long range discussions. Something like:

Number of animals killed over 500 yards/number wounded/number lost

Mine would look like- 0/0/0

Hence I don't give a fuck what happens at 800 yards because I have no intention of shooting at game at that distance. This past fall it became popular to show fucked up shots and wounded game by all the YouTube cool kids. Don't see the fascination with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Hence I don't give a fuck what happens at 800 yards because I have no intention of shooting at game at that distance. This past fall it became popular to show fucked up shots and wounded game by all the YouTube cool kids. Don't see the fascination with it.
View Quote
You know how many big game animals are shot wounded and lost at 200 yards and under? A fucking ton.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I absolutely HATE shooting my 300WM at the range BUT it's the only thing I hunt with. Everything is DRT.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#42]

You know how many big game animals are shot wounded and lost at 200 yards and under? A fucking ton.
View Quote
Yup. And now those same dipshits buy a Vortex scope and are trying to kill stuff at 500+.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
I’ve chased enough wounded deer hit by other hunter with 300’s and 7RM’s at moderate distances to know your point has little bearing on the conversation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Yup. And now those same dipshits buy a Vortex scope and are trying to kill stuff at 500+.
View Quote
If they fuck up shots at 500+ yards and they fuck up shots at less than 200 yards what bearing does that have on caliber debates and distance hunting?

Aside from the fact that you don’t like it, of course.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:

If they fuck up shots at 500+ yards and they fuck up shots at less than 200 yards what bearing does that have on caliber debates and distance hunting?

View Quote
Gonna need to see the number, bud.

I think long range hunting is awesome. I also think very few people put in the time to actually be doing it. RePp would probably be on the green light list among a few others around here. People who talk about lack of kinetic energy leading to wounding with 6.5 maybe not so much.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I am
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#47]

I think long range hunting is awesome. I also think very few people put in the time to actually be doing it. RePp would probably be on the green light list among a few others around here. People who talk about lack of kinetic energy leading to wounding with 6.5 maybe not so much.
View All Quotes

So which is it..you have zero use for long range hunting or you think long range hunting is awesome? Sorry but the worst shooters I see are the idiots who have a hard time making hits at any distance from point blank out...And I sure have not seen any of those hunters go buy a scope and start shooting at animals at multiples of distances they already can't hit animals at....The few people I know that do shoot at longer ranges are by far some of the best shooters I have ever seen, and to a person have put in the time/energy/gear to make quality hits at the distance they are shooting...

As far as caliber/bullet/cartridge for long range hunting, while many can do it under perfect conditions, only a fool wouldn't take every advantage and shoot the most powerful cartridge they can as insurance against having those possibly bad outcomes...As for the 6.5cm/eld-x combo..My rifle puts out more velocity and energy at 1000 yards then it does at 200 yards...The right tool for the right job makes a huge difference on outcomes..
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 2:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#48]

View Quote
I would just say people need to shoot within their  ability. That could be 50 or 1500 yards. I will make a broad generalization that most people vastly over estimate their ability when it comes to taking a ethical shot. I'll say that I always get as close as I possibly can to make the easiest shot I can. If I want to see if I can make some crazy shot I do it on steel not on big game.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I’ll leave your flip flop statement out of this because this is tech.

People should hunt within your abilities, and making a shot from a bench at 500+ yards doesn’t translate too well to field conditions. I know that my personal limit in less than ideal settings is under 500 yards, but having the capability as my skill set expands isn’t a bad thing.

Personally I think bow hunting is more exciting but enjoy rifle hunting and the marksmanship associated with LR hunting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#50]
No flipping here.

Long range marksmanship is amazing. Shitty Vortex scopes and CDS dials convincing people all they need to do is twist dials to be competent is all over the place. Look at how many videos are on YouTube of long range shots. Now search for wounded and missed shots on game. Crickets and spiderwebs.

My initial post was in regard to the individual saying 6.5 runs out of steam at 500 yards. No it doesn't. If you poke a hole through lungs and heart the animal dies. What does run out is people's ability to hit shit at that distance. I see it posted over and over how this or that caliber performs this way or that way at X number of yards that is way out of line for 99.9% of all shooters. Stupid shit. Who cares if a caliber is dropping off at 800 yards? Most people can't shoot for shit. At least at 150 yards they have a decent chance of hitting something vital. The further out you go the worse it gets.

We have a .300WM. Great rifle. Kills stuff really dead. Cheap ass Savage that is pretty light and MOA accurate. CDS dial. Kinda overkill, but it's really fun to watch people be sad after my wife shows up and starts banging 600 yard steel with it. In the field with wind, dust, fatigue, adrenaline, run to a ridge, shooting off a pack that 600 yards is waaaaay the fuck out there. If you have what it takes more power to you, but most do not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top