Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2018 12:19:34 AM EDT
I keep on hearing people are having poi "walk" on them and can't find an explanation, but the problem stop after getting a new set of rings or mount.  Is this reliable report? I've been eyeing the AP mounts, they're cheap and are the lightest I've seen, by far.  Just don't want to walk into some kind of lost in space situation after I got everything mounted and zeroed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several and they are all out of round so they squeeze the scope in an asymmetric fashion.  That does not bother some scopes, while with some others it causes POI issues.

I still use the ones I have with the scopes I tested and seemed to work, but I have no plans to buy any more.  I bought several on sale a while back and I think I have two 1" ones and three 30mm ones.  All have the same problem.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with their mounts for traditional scopes.

But their 30mm single ring Aimpoint mounts have worked great for me.  I use a Wheeler Fat Wrench to torque the screws to 25 in-lbs.  While the mount is light, I think it was engineered very well.  It uses its weight very efficiently.  So it doesn't feel weak.  I put rubber covers on the Aimpoints in case I accidentally hit a hard barrier with it.

I think some people have been having the dual ring mounts break, but the physics there is a different ball game.  Once you have a heavy scope there is way more stress put on the lugs.  Also the heavier the mount + scope combo is the more likely it is to come loose under normal recoil and forward recoil.

If you need absolute maximum strength get a Geissele mount.  And maybe even switch to a CompM4S.  That should be indestructible.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the issue occur when I used their supplied Torx wrench, prior to purchasing a proper torque wrench. When properly torqued they work well, in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By COmedic:
I had the issue occur when I used their supplied Torx wrench, prior to purchasing a proper torque wrench. When properly torqued they work well, in my experience.
View Quote
Same experience here.  With proper install, I have had no issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't had any problems with mine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used many, but figured out after having scope slippage issues (on anything larger than 556) that they have to be lapped.  The are rings not round.  When the mount is being lapped, it is easy to cause the mount to flex.  I have lost confidence in them.  I have not replaced one or two that have light weight scopes on 223 rifles, but wont be buying anymore or recommending them to my shooting buddies moving forward.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chewbacca:
I have used many, but figured out after having scope slippage issues (on anything larger than 556) that they have to be lapped.  The are rings not round.  When the mount is being lapped, it is easy to cause the mount to flex.  I have lost confidence in them.  I have not replaced one or two that have light weight scopes on 223 rifles, but wont be buying anymore or recommending them to my shooting buddies moving forward.
View Quote
Gotcha buddy, thanks for the warning, I suspected as much. I'll stay away from them.  It's a shame too, they're the lightest on the market by a country mile, wish they would work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top