Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2017 4:28:48 AM EDT
Hey all,

I've been bit by the precision 22 bug and find myself in need of a bolt action 22lr.

The two rifles I'm interested in currently are the Ruger American Target model and the CZ 455 Precision Trainer.  I'm specifically drawn to the RAR due to compatibility with 1022 mags and lower initial cost.

To be 100% satisfied with the RAR Target, I would need to eventually change the stock.  My question is, what have you all come across as far as aftermarket stocks available for this rifle?  My web searches so far have come up empty.

Thanks all for the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No personal experience, but from my research most people that have upgraded went with a Boyds and opened up the barrel channel. They make inlets for the RAR, just not the bull barrel.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Without a doubt go with the 455.

Stiffer action, better trigger, better OEM barrel, more aftermarket stuff avail.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:40:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#4]
Originally Posted By Warbird_Aficionado:
Hey all,

I've been bit by the precision 22 bug and find myself in need of a bolt action 22lr.

The two rifles I'm interested in currently are the Ruger American Target model and the CZ 455 Precision Trainer.  I'm specifically drawn to the RAR due to compatibility with 1022 mags and lower initial cost.

To be 100% satisfied with the RAR Target, I would need to eventually change the stock.  My question is, what have you all come across as far as aftermarket stocks available for this rifle?  My web searches so far have come up empty.

Thanks all for the help.
View Quote
I have both. Two CZ455's (American & Varmit Thumbhole Laminated Fluted-now discontinued) and recently picked up a Ruger American Rimfire Target (RART).  After some range time I'm leaning to the RART being a little better. It's really nice and accurate and the trigger is the easiest to fine tune DIY to a real nice light trigger vs. the CZ's.

Regarding stocks Boyds offers two stocks that will make the RART abit more tacticool.

AT-One Stock & Pro-Varmit

The Pro-Varmit stock seems to be mentioned more on Rimfire Central than the AT-ONE.

The Boyds appears to be easy to fit for a bull barrel. One gent stated..." the barrel channel needed sanding to fit. I used a 3/4 inch broom handle wrapped with 120 grit sand paper, till the barrel was free in the channel. Took less than 30 minutes to finish the job."   So in doing that you should be able to do that on your own.

I really can not agree that the CZ has a stiffer action and better OEM barrel.  The RAR receiver is just as substantial as the 455 and the Ruger barrel is also CHF. Plus, the RART trigger is much superior to the CZs out of the box trigger.

When you do a DIY trigger job on the RART its much a much better trigger than the frustrating Mr. Fly CZ trigger. Then you can adjust it easily with the factory adjustment screw to fine tune it.  I did the DIY job on mine and made a substantial improvement and I haven't even used the adjustment screw yet. Having worked on my CZ it's a much easier job on the RART.

I replaced the RART factory optic rail with a DIP extended rail (you can get 0 & 20 MOA) and a muzzle device to replace the factory thread protector, and it makes it look better.

Considering the universal availability of 10/22 mags and that their 10 rd. vs. 5 rd. with the CZ455 (I know you can get 10 rders), the much better DIY trigger vs. having to go with trigger spring kits with the CZ, and the initial lower cost the RART is a bit better than the 455 IMO.

Note the CZ455 Tacticool stock is a Boyds Pro-Varmit.

My .02
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone for your input!  The Boyd's Pro Varmit stock seems like it would do well on the RART  I have the same stock on a 10/22 and enjoy it.

One thing I hadn't considered about these rifles other than stocks was the barrel lengths.

I suppose I should state the purpose for this rifle will be to have fun trying to hit things that are comically far away for a 22.  200, 300, 400 yds etc, as well as a training rifle for my centerfires with which I would like to enter in PRS style matches at some point in the future.

I noticed the CZ 455 PT comes in a few different barrel lengths of which I would choose the 20.5 as it closest matches my centerfires.

The RART comes with an 18" barrel.

One new fact I've learned researching long range 22's recently is many shooters prefer shooting subsonic ammo so as to avoid the bullet passing through the transition from supersonic to subsonic where some turbulence is experienced by the bullet, hindering accuracy.

With that in mind, would the 20.5 inch barrel of the CZ have any advantages over the 18" barrel of the RART?

Thanks again all!
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 1:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Talyn:
I have both. Two CZ455's (American & Varmit Thumbhole Laminated Fluted-now discontinued) and recently picked up a Ruger American Rimfire Target (RART).  After some range time I'm leaning to the RART being a little better. It's really nice and accurate and the trigger is the easiest to fine tune DIY to a real nice light trigger vs. the CZ's.

Regarding stocks Boyds offers two stocks that will make the RART abit more tacticool.

The Pro-Varmit stock seems to be mentioned more on Rimfire Central than the AT-ONE.

The Boyds appears to be easy to fit for a bull barrel. One gent stated..." the barrel channel needed sanding to fit. I used a 3/4 inch broom handle wrapped with 120 grit sand paper, till the barrel was free in the channel. Took less than 30 minutes to finish the job."   So in doing that you should be able to do that on your own.

I really can not agree that the CZ has a stiffer action and better OEM barrel.  The RAR receiver is just as substantial as the 455 and the Ruger barrel is also CHF. Plus, the RART trigger is much superior to the CZs out of the box trigger.

When you do a DIY trigger job on the RART its much a much better trigger than the frustrating Mr. Fly CZ trigger. Then you can adjust it easily with the factory adjustment screw to fine tune it.  I did the DIY job on mine and made a substantial improvement and I haven't even used the adjustment screw yet. Having worked on my CZ it's a much easier job on the RART.

I replaced the RART factory optic rail with a DIP extended rail (you can get 0 & 20 MOA) and a muzzle device to replace the factory thread protector, and it makes it look better.

Considering the universal availability of 10/22 mags and that their 10 rd. vs. 5 rd. with the CZ455 (I know you can get 10 rders), the much better DIY trigger vs. having to go with trigger spring kits with the CZ, and the initial lower cost the RART is a bit better than the 455 IMO.

My .02
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Talyn:
Originally Posted By Warbird_Aficionado:
Hey all,

Thanks all for the help.

My .02
While I don't have a CZ to compare, I'm more then satisfied with my RART
I've shot CZ452's and while nice, I'm not sure they are all that and a bag of chips...
The bolt is Meh, the magazines are too expensive and stick out and from what I've seen, the ammo you shoot is more critical then the barrel, and the Ruger barrel is pretty darn good.

The Ruger trigger was easy to make nice and I've been looking at picking up a Boyd stock and the Ruger bedding block design is much nicer then the CZ if you talking an accuracy mod.

Everyone always seems to jump on the CZ first bandwagon... and while I believe you get what you pay for, and I wanted a nice precision .22 bolt gun, I think the Ruger has the best overall value.

I'm not the type to spend $1k and up for a Vudoo .22 or an Anschutz and then drop a $2k scope on it. (Having a Teenager that needs to go to College in a few years might dampen that a bit).

I enjoy shooting, but that money does not make me shoot better... just spend more. Shooting make me better, and now I can afford to purchase some good Ammo and hit the range, and if I can get .5" 5 rd groups at 50 yds fairly consistently... I'm not sure how more money will make that shrink up to a measurement that is relevant to me.

Just my $.02.

I think Ruger hit a home run with an accurate out of the box .22 bolt gun with a nice threaded barrel. And now I have all summer to go out and shoot it. And even shoot in a few bench rest competitions.
Top Top