Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2018 1:38:23 AM EDT
I heard someone bring up in a discussion that apparently the only variant that the US armed forces use is a special model of the Barrett known as the M82A1M (M being for Military?) and it has some differences from the civilian model kinda how the Beretta M9 is different for civilians vs. the military ones (proof marks and such).

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is true, and also what the difference between the two models is?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#1]
Ask in the 50 Cal forum...There is an insider over there that would be the best to answer

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/50-Cal/3/

I believe the military model is the M107 series.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man. I'll try to post there. Yeah, I think they moved to the 107 but id like to know what was issued.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Cost! Uncle Sam always pays 10x for civilian equivalent!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
View Quote
While this may be true, you don't have to pay for the military version when US issues it to you.  You have to pay for the civilian version out of your pocket.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Original M82A1s back in Desert Storm era were COTS.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
View Quote
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are COTS?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Commercial off the shelf
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Marine Corps had M82A3s.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotcha. Thanks. Does anyone know why the modern M82A1s have had so many changes made to them, but haven't had their names changed (e.g. new rail, rear sight, etc)?

Do any units like socom still buy the commercial M82A1s? As far as I understand they are identical to the M107 with the exception of the spiked bipod feet, and rear monopod who can be added.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Gotcha. Thanks. Does anyone know why the modern M82A1s have had so many changes made to them, but haven't had their names changed (e.g. new rail, rear sight, etc)?

Do any units like socom still buy the commercial M82A1s? As far as I understand they are identical to the M107 with the exception of the spiked bipod feet, and rear monopod who can be added.
View Quote
Ask @50cal

He worked for Barrett in its infancy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure why the a1 name is left as opposed to 107. May be a legacy thing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
@ironhandjohn
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
Thats not true at all.  A guy I worked with told me there were exactly 100 military ones that slipped into civilian hands.

he is lucky enough to own one of the 14 the government can't find.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:57:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironhandjohn] [#14]

View Quote
The M107 also had the upswept charging handle that the civilian model didn’t, as well as the plastic molding piece around the handgrip on the rear of the stock. At least those were the only differences that I can remember from my time there in ‘03-‘05.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:
The M107 also had the upswept charging handle that the civilian model didn’t, as well as the plastic molding piece around the handgrip on the rear of the stock. At least those were the only differences that I can remember from my time there in ‘03-‘05.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

At one point the bipods were different as well. I feel like there’s been so many different models and changes it’s impossible to keep up with.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Not true. Anyone that supplies just about anything to the DOD has to sign a Fair price agreement.

They cant charge the .GOV anymore than they charge you for it. The .GOV isn't stupid.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
Not true. Anyone that supplies just about anything to the DOD has to sign a Fair price agreement.

They cant charge the .GOV anymore than they charge you for it. The .GOV isn't stupid.

Scott
View All Quotes

Scott
People love to ignore the extra parts and service that is almost always included in those giant contract prices. Easier to bitch.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

People love to ignore the extra parts and service that is almost always included in those giant contract prices. Easier to bitch.
View Quote
Yep. Its easy to see why a 10K weapon system ends up costing 20K when you realize it comes with enough parts and service and support to rebuild the same weapon system 10X over.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
All companies I have worked with have a .gov entity, and only sell to .gov, to get around that issue.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#20]
It would really depend on which branch of the military, and at what point in time you're referring to.
The Barretts have gone through a ton of variations and minor changes, and each branch's Barrett is slightly different because they're different orders.

If I recall, during the initial 125 unit purchase the military Barretts were basically off the shelf civilian Barretts.
Also the current Coastguard Barrett is pretty much identical to the M82CQ I believe, because the rifle was specifically designed for the coastguard (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top