Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2023 10:13:02 PM EDT
Due to decent left-handed .223 bolt rifles being complete unicorns, I'm looking to build a lefty .223, mainly as an understudy to the Mesa Summit in .300 WM I got earlier this year.  This will mainly be a range toy for lower cost/recoil practice.  It will probably see a bit of field use, but the main goal is to approximate my .300, so specs will be fairly similar to the Mesa.  I do need to find a different action though, since Mesa doesn't offer a .223 bolt face.

Specs are as follows:
Barrel:  Carbon Six Sendero, .223 Wylde, 20," 1:8 twist.  (The .300 is a 22" C6)
Stock:  AG CAT, same as the .300
Trigger:  Triggertech Primary, also the same as the .300
BDL bottom metal, probably Hawkins

Both will be suppressed with the Nomad LT and TBAC Ultra 5 that I already have.  Scope is TBD.  The .300 wears a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5 in low Talley ringmounts.  I like the scope, but I doubt it would clear the bolt in low rings on the actions I'm considering.  I know it doesn't clear on the two 90-degree bolt-lift actions I've tried it on.  I have a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 that's currently homeless, so I'll probably throw that on it, at least temporarily.

This brings me to my question:  What action?  I'd like to keep the features as similar to my Mesa as possible, but no one else seems to offer a 2-lug bolt with 75-degree lift.  I'm thinking I'll go to a 90-degree lift which will open up my options some.  For reference, I also own a Defiance Rebel, which I like, but I'm not interested in another at their current prices.  Trying to stay with budget-ish actions for this build.

Features I'm looking for:  left-handed, .223 bolt face, no rail, BDL bottom metal.

Currently I'm debating between the Kauger Arms VPR ($890) and the Lone Peak Razor ($1250), both of which offer the features I want.  The Kauger is appealing due to the price point.  I haven't found much feedback on them, but what I have found was generally positive.  A gunsmith I know really likes the Lone Peak actions, but the price is quite a bit higher.  Does anyone have feedback on these actions or another suggestion I should look into?  I've also considered a Curtis Scout but am leaning toward sticking with a 2-lug action.  Several others I looked at are DBM only, which is a deal-breaker for this rifle.

I don't have a firm budget on this build.  I'm looking to keep it in the $3k neighborhood for the bare rifle, but I'm willing to stretch it some if it makes for a better rifle in the end.  Help me spend my money!
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Zermatt Origin. You can find barrels for it anywhere, it's $900, and it has swappable bolt heads for $125 if you ever find yourself wanting to use it for something other than 223.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  An Origin would have been a strong contender, but per Zermatt's website, the .223 bolt face version is DBM only.  For this build I'm very much set on a BDL configuration.  If I do a DBM build in the future, I'll probably use an Origin though since it seems to get universally good reviews.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:14:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spectre3] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WI-2021:
Thanks for the input.  An Origin would have been a strong contender, but per Zermatt's website, the .223 bolt face version is DBM only.  For this build I'm very much set on a BDL configuration.  If I do a DBM build in the future, I'll probably use an Origin though since it seems to get universally good reviews.
View Quote

I'm looking at the Zermatt website on the Origin page and it says: Remington style feed lips (compatible with AICS magazines and hinged floor plate designs)". I'd call them and ask for more info about that. Since it's specific to that bolt face, there may be something you can do to have the configuration you want. Even if that is correct with no workarounds, Grayboe makes a flush dbm (I'm assuming you want the bdl for the flush fit) for hunting rifles. https://www.grayboe.com/collections/bottom-metal/products/grayboe-hunter-dbm. The people on Rokslide.com, which is a long range hunting focused forum, would have more info on available bdl options.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By spectre3:

I'm looking at the Zermatt website on the Origin page and it says: Remington style feed lips (compatible with AICS magazines and hinged floor plate designs)". I'd call them and ask for more info about that. Since it's specific to that bolt face, there may be something you can do to have the configuration you want. Even if that is correct with no workarounds, Grayboe makes a flush dbm (I'm assuming you want the bdl for the flush fit) for hunting rifles. https://www.grayboe.com/collections/bottom-metal/products/grayboe-hunter-dbm. The people on Rokslide.com, which is a long range hunting focused forum, would have more info on available bdl options.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip on the Grayboe flush DBM.  I'll look into that further.  I would like to have the option to load from the top too, but the flush fit is the main driver.

Unfortunately, the .223 bolt face Origin is DBM only.  There's a note in that option when you select a .223 bolt face.

I've read Rokslide, but I'm not a member there.  IIRC, one of the good reviews of the Kauger that I read was on that site.  I may have to join.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Parts have been ordered.  I decided to go with the Kauger VPR action.  All the other parts are what I was originally planning.  Still need to order a mag box, spring, and follower.  I'll probably get the Wyatt's kit for that.

I had the action in-hand within a week of ordering it direct from Kauger, which is a nice change of pace.  As a lefty, I've had to order all three of my custom actions direct from the manufacturer, so I'm used to waiting.

I won't be able to give a full review for a few months due to lead-time on the barrel and stock, but my initial thoughts on the Kauger are all positive.  Fit and finish looks great.  It's very smooth right out of the box.  Not quite on the level of my Defiance, but smoother than my Mesa.  The Mesa did slick up very nicely with a bit of use and some grease, but was kind of rough out of the box in comparison to the other two.  All in all, I'm very happy with the Kauger so far, especially considering the price point.  They were also very responsive in answering the few questions I had before ordering.

More to come once I get the rest of my parts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Zermatt tl3 or origin. Interchangeable bolt heads.

Also look at terminus Zeus. Quick change barrels and swappable bolts.

It's a 60 degree lift not 90
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
Zermatt tl3 or origin. Interchangeable bolt heads.

Also look at terminus Zeus. Quick change barrels and swappable bolts.

It's a 60 degree lift not 90
View Quote

Thanks for the input.  Definitely too late for this build, but I've ogled both the Zermatt and Terminus options.  At some point I'll probably try one or both of them, just not for this rifle.

I did get the rest of my parts and the rifle is assembled now.  I went with a Kauger VPR, Triggertech Primary, 20" 1:8 Carbon Six Sendero, AG CAT, Hawkins BDL, and the Wyatt's extended .223 kit.  FWIW, the Kauger also has interchangeable bolt heads.  Not sure I'll ever take advantage of that feature, but it's there if I want to.  I ended up getting a deal on a VX-5 3-15, so that's what it's wearing.

I've only had time to shoot a couple rounds through it for a function check with a very improvised rest, so no comments on accuracy yet.  Some magazine tweaking will definitely be necessary to get it to feed 100%.  Seems to be par for the course with BDL's, and the smaller the case head, the harder it is to get them running right.  I'm still liking the Kauger action.  Not so sure about my previous comment that it is smoother than the Summit though.  The Summit is continuing to slick up with use, and the Kauger really hasn't been used yet, so that comment may have been premature.  Time will tell.  Now that hunting season is pretty much over hopefully I'll have time to wring it out and fix the feeding soon.

All of my customs so far have been semi-traditional fairly lightweight hunting rifles, so I've been sticking with sporter style stocks, low mounted scopes, and hinged floorplates, which is why I ended up where I did on the .223.  It's basically a practice rifle so I'm not burning as much .300 ammo or pounding myself quite as much with recoil.

The next one will be a 6.5 PRC.  That one will still be a lightweight, but will have a little more of a long-range focus, at least in terms of the stock design, namely an AG Chalk Branch.  I'm going to try the new Pure Precision SKLTN action for that one.  The more I shoot the .300, the more I'm liking the Summit action.  The SKLTN is pretty much a lighter Summit, so I'll be a crash test dummy on that.

After the PRC is done, the one after that will probably be more precision oriented.  For that one I'll definitely be looking at the Zermatt, Terminus, Curtis, etc. since I won't be as concerned about weight.  I'll probably end up with an Origin, since it's hard to argue with the features/quality for the price.  That's a few years out though, so who knows what will come along by then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top