Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2024 10:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dieselman]
I am in the market for a Mil turret / Mil reticle optic in the $700.00 range to mount on a Ruger M77 Mk II in .300 Winchester Magnum.  This rifle has traditionally been my deer and elk hunting rifle and currently mounts a Leupold VX1 3-9.  The accuracy that this particular rifle seems to exhibit, leads me wanting to take it out and try target shooting at much further distances.  

Here is a few scopes that may fit the bill.

Vortex Optics Viper HS-T 4-16x44mm

Burris Optics RT-15 3-15x50mm

Primary Arms SLx 3-18x50mm

SWFA 3-15x42 SS - Mil-Quad Reticle, 30mm

I have been leaning toward the SWFA based on excellent prior experience with the brand.  But before I pull the trigger on it, I figure it best to get some opinions from folks here.  I don't want to spend much more than $700ish preferably less.  Is there some other scope I should be considering?  I am open to all suggestions.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
BigJimFish

might look at some of big jim's reviews he may or may not have covered some of those.  I like his reviews at any rate.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d consider which of those scopes have locking turret knobs.

I’ve used that Vortex 4-16 and found it to be a good scope, but on a hunting rifle the knobs can get moved if you are moving around actively from place to place.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I wouldn't use any of those except maybe the SWFA. If you want a Vortex look at the Strike Eagle or the Bushnell Match Pro ED or standard Match Pro.
View Quote

I am not familiar with any of these recomendations, what makes the Bushnell better?  Also why the Strike Eagle over the Viper?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dieselman] [#5]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
I’d consider which of those scopes have locking turret knobs.

I’ve used that Vortex 4-16 and found it to be a good scope, but on a hunting rifle the knobs can get moved if you are moving around actively from place to place.
View Quote

A valid point indeed.  That said, I don't feel that locking turrets is necessary in my case. I have taken AR's hunting without locking turrets without issue.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, good to know. I have an older Vortex Viper on a different rifle and honestly, I don't care much for it. In fact it has soured me some on the entire Vortex brand.   That said, perhaps the Strike Eagle deserves my attention.

To hear that Bushnell has a contender in the game actually surprises me.   I always sort of placed them maybe a peg or two above Tasco.  But to be fair, the last time I purchased a Bushnell was over 20 years ago. A lot can change in two decades.   Any other scopes I should consider in the up to $700ish range?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn’t put a Chinese optic on any rifle let alone a hunting weight 300WM that will be prone to killing scopes. Of the ones on your list the SWFA is the only option with good reliability. It may not have the bells and whistles like capped turrets and zero stop but there’s work arounds to that and neither of those are as important as reliability.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:
I wouldn’t put a Chinese optic on any rifle let alone a hunting weight 300WM that will be prone to killing scopes. Of the ones on your list the SWFA is the only option with good reliability. It may not have the bells and whistles like capped turrets and zero stop but there’s work arounds to that and neither of those are as important as reliability.
View Quote

I tend to think this is the right answer.  I have two SWFA's already and they are excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top