Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2020 3:00:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: adobewalls]
I am looking to help out my aging eyes and scope my M1-A.  

I have the following scopes available:

* Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44
* Nikon FX 1000 4-16x50
* Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44
* Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50
* Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44
* Leupold Long Range 4-16x50

All have 30mm tubes

Which of these has the best chance of being trouble free while mounted on the M1-A?

Shooting is recreational, the M1-A is a Loaded model with a NM barrel and wood stock, so the rifle is heavy.  

I have a Swan mount and ARMS Scope Rings.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem with the M1A scoping is using a receiver mount will place the scope very high versus the stock drop.  You can't get a decent cheek weld.  You need to use the lowest height rings you can find and a cheek riser if using a receiver mount.  The alternative is a scout mount, but your scope choices are not ideally suited for that application.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:46:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fmj_shooter] [#2]
Wood stock? That ain't heavy

This has a Leupold Mk4 ER/T 4.5-14

Attachment Attached File

Eta. Of your list, the Vortex or Leupold
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice set up.  Now you have me thinking about an aftermarket stock...

The 44mm Objectives certainly sit lower on the rifle and have better ascetics, how about durability?

I remember the Springfield Scope fiasco back in the early 2000's where their scopes fell apart in short order on top of their M1-A's.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:51:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#4]
The M1A is not a scope killer.  It’s a wallet killer because you have to spend thousands of dollars for incremental but ultimately futile gains in accuracy, but it won’t kill scopes.
Of the scopes you listed, the Athlon Ares BTR is going to be among the best optically.  They have a good record of reliability, and Athlon offers a lot of scope for the money.  The Talos is a much lower level scope.  I’m not sure what scope you mean by the Leupold Long Range 4-16x50.  I would have to assume it’s either the Mark4 LR/T 4.5-14x50, or VX-3i LRP 4.5-4x50.  
The Nikon FX1000 is discontinued.  Nikon is no longer making riflescopes.  I would not buy a Nikon if you have any concerns about reliability and warranty coverage.  Nikon has always made good scopes, but you’re dealing with a discontinued product.

Of the scopes you listed, here’s how I’d rate them:

Athlon Ares > Leupold Mark4 LR/T > Vortex Viper HST > Bushnell Nitro > Athlon Talos
or
Athlon Ares > Votex Viper HST > Leupold VX3i LRP > Bushnell Nitro > Athlon Talos

I would also recommend that you look at the Athlon Midas or Vortex Viper PST Gen2 over the other options below the Ares BTR and Mark4 LR/T.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:
The M1A is not a scope killer.  It’s a wallet killer because you have to spend thousands of dollars for incremental but ultimately futile gains in accuracy, but it won’t kill scopes.
Of the scopes you listed, the Athlon Ares BTR is going to be among the best optically.  They have a good record of reliability, and Athlon offers a lot of scope for the money.  The Talos is a much lower level scope.  I’m not sure what scope you mean by the Leupold Long Range 4-16x50.  I would have to assume it’s either the Mark4 LR/T 4.5-14x50, or VX-3i LRP 4.5-4x50.  
The Nikon FX1000 is discontinued.  Nikon is no longer making riflescopes.  I would not buy a Nikon if you have any concerns about reliability and warranty coverage.  Nikon has always made good scopes, but you’re dealing with a discontinued product.

Of the scopes you listed, here’s how I’d rate them:

Athlon Ares > Leupold Mark4 LR/T > Vortex Viper HST > Bushnell Nitro > Athlon Talos
or
Athlon Ares > Votex Viper HST > Leupold VX3i LRP > Bushnell Nitro > Athlon Talos

I would also recommend that you look at the Athlon Midas or Vortex Viper PST Gen2 over the other options below the Ares BTR and Mark4 LR/T.
View Quote

After having compared the Viper HST and the Ares side-by-side, I went with the Viper. The glass is better, and Vortex's warranty is unbeatable. Not saying Athlon is shit, mind you, but the Vortex had the edge. I have a couple of their scopes and really like them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:33:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: adobewalls] [#6]
Thanks!  This is helpful, I appreciate the insight.

I mounted the Vortex because the 44mm objective allows the scope to set lower than the Athlon Ares.  

We will see how it does.

The Leupold is the Mark 4 LR/T.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:

After having compared the Viper HST and the Ares side-by-side, I went with the Viper. The glass is better, and Vortex's warranty is unbeatable. Not saying Athlon is shit, mind you, but the Vortex had the edge. I have a couple of their scopes and really like them.
View Quote

Viper does a good job punching above its weight class.  I had a Gen1 PST when they first came out, and it was a good scope.  Only reason got rid of it was that I upgraded quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top