Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 11:47:21 AM EDT
It might be kind of a stretch to hope someone here has the same problem but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have an AE MkIII (uses the same bolt as the AW) which is having an intermittent but annoying issue.

Occasionally when lifting the bolt handle it feels as if the bolt is locked closed like when the safety is on. Jiggling the handle fairly aggressively or cycling the safety will usually cause it to come unstuck. This happens fairly rarely, maybe 1 in 100 bolt lifts or less. It happens sometimes after being fired and sometimes not. The most consistent contributing factor is flicking the safety on and then off again but it happens sometimes without touching the safety.

The rifle has about 10,000 rounds through it, mostly handloads but nothing hot, and well over 100,000 dry fire cycles. AI says that much use shouldn't hurt anything.

A service center here says they can look at the bolt but I was wondering if anyone on here has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it so I don't have to go through the hassle of sending it in. The only advice they gave over the phone was to not dismantle my bolt.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the safety for peening.   If there has been a burr raised it may be holding the safety engagement surfaces together.

Clean and dress as necessary.

Joat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top