Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2022 11:25:58 AM EDT
So I'm going to build a ARC to try out and was wondering where should I be looking for a barrel?  Thinking a 20-22 inch barrel would work for me although a deal on a 18 would do since my local range only goes to 900 yards.

I see several manufacturers selling complete uppers but I already have a bolt and a stripped upper to build mine on.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:09:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#1]
I’ve seriously thought about buying a 6 ARC barrel from 6.5 Outfiiters.   These barrels are manufactured by Green Mountain to a forum members specifications.   Blunt Force Trauma is a member on this forum and administrator of the 6.5 Grendel forum.  BFT ran group buys on the Grendel forum but then set up this web store to simply the sale of his 6.5 Grendel and 6 ARC barrels.  I have three Monster logo Group Buy barrels from BFT.  These barrels get good reviews and for the price are worth trying.   I have several 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s and I’ve held off doing a 6 ARC because I didn’t want to fire form 6.5 Grendel brass.   If there was 6 ARC brass to buy I might jump into the 6 ARC but with the current component prices I’ve resisted the temptation to add another cartridge.

https://www.sixfiveoutfitters.com
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Ended up getting a used cmmg barrel to try out.  Waiting on all the parts to show for a upper build now.  If that doesn't group for me I might order one from CLE.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Saber7:
Ended up getting a used cmmg barrel to try out.  Waiting on all the parts to show for a upper build now.  If that doesn't group for me I might order one from CLE.
View Quote

I got a bartlein 15" from CLE and its a tackdriver. I've hit 900yds with factory loads on a standard silhouette out of a 15". It does pretty impressive with short barrels. Just something to think about if your maxed at 900yds. I had an 18" build and felt it didn't benefit anything over a 14.5"/15" besides longer and more weight. My next build is probably a BSF CF 10.5-12" for out to 600yds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By redman797:

I got a bartlein 15" from CLE and its a tackdriver. I've hit 900yds with factory loads on a standard silhouette out of a 15". It does pretty impressive with short barrels. Just something to think about if your maxed at 900yds. I had an 18" build and felt it didn't benefit anything over a 14.5"/15" besides longer and more weight. My next build is probably a BSF CF 10.5-12" for out to 600yds.
View Quote

That’s interesting. I’ve got an 18” 6.5 Grendel built on a MUR receiver that has been mediocre at best. Thinking about ditching the barrel for an ARC.

If I only shoot out to 600 yards, would the 16” make more sense than 18”?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

That’s interesting. I’ve got an 18” 6.5 Grendel built on a MUR receiver that has been mediocre at best. Thinking about ditching the barrel for an ARC.

If I only shoot out to 600 yards, would the 16” make more sense than 18”?
View Quote

Absolutely if weight, maneuverability, and OAL with a suppressor matter to you!
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I had been considering an ARC build when Washingtons gun ban started happening. Went ahead and grabbed one of Larue's uppers to get something quick. Grabbed three boxes of Hornady match to get started and did a quick barrel break in and cleaning yesterday. Probably sight in and do some shorter distance stuff next weekend. Ultimately this will get a thermal and be a dedicated coyote gun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been happy with the 18" Odin works barrel I bought last October. It is the 18"XL with +2 rifle gas length. I have not started reloading 6 ARC yet but the Hornady 108Gr stuff shoots very well with the Hornady 105Gr ammo not too far behind.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Noveske has one 18” barrel in stock at the time of this posting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I got an email from centurion arms yesterday.  They are selling 6arc barrels now.  12.5”, 18” rifle gas, 18” rifle gas +1.  The email states Mark Smith took first place in a gas gun match with their 12.5” barrel.  I didn’t think the 6arc was that popular.  I guess I need to get into the precision game starting with a 5.56/223 rig first instead of getting into another caliber.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ossian:
I got an email from centurion arms yesterday.  They are selling 6arc barrels now.  12.5”, 18” rifle gas, 18” rifle gas +1.  The email states Mark Smith took first place in a gas gun match with their 12.5” barrel.  I didn’t think the 6arc was that popular.  I guess I need to get into the precision game starting with a 5.56/223 rig first instead of getting into another caliber.
View Quote

What's the best choice or difference between 18" rifle gas and 18" rifle +1?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

View Quote

From the description on the website it’s a custom length gas tube.  Slightly longer than rifle length I assume.  I haven’t done much research on the 6arc to know what the optimal gas system length is.  An earlier post on this thread listed an Odin works xl rifle length +2 barrel.  There must be some performance benefits to custom gas system lengths with this cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
OP: Can't speak for in stock, but the best shooting barrels I've run in 6 ARC so far are from Proof Research (best chance to find one on the shelf), and a Bartlein Compass Lake Engineering barrel.

View Quote

Under 18" you're kinda stuck at mid-length (or carbine if short enough).  You NEED adjustable gas if you're going to run a suppressor.

For 18-22" barrels it doesn't make a huge difference.  I would get an adjustable gas block with a standard rifle length system, especially if you're running a suppressor.  

For 22+ rifle +1 is probably a good idea and you can run adjustable or non-adjustable with/without suppressors shooting 75-110gr projectiles with pretty solid results assuming the gas port is the correct size (I can't remember off the top of my head what that is).

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#13]
Originally Posted By LedZeppelin:
OP: Can't speak for in stock, but the best shooting barrels I've run in 6 ARC so far are from Proof Research (best chance to find one on the shelf), and a Bartlein Compass Lake Engineering barrel.

Under 18" you're kinda stuck at mid-length (or carbine if short enough).  You NEED adjustable gas if you're going to run a suppressor.

For 18-22" barrels it doesn't make a huge difference.  I would get an adjustable gas block with a standard rifle length system, especially if you're running a suppressor.  

For 22+ rifle +1 is probably a good idea and you can run adjustable or non-adjustable with/without suppressors shooting 75-110gr projectiles with pretty solid results assuming the gas port is the correct size (I can't remember off the top of my head what that is).

View Quote

Right on. My barrel is 18” rifle gas. Went with the Riflespeed adjustable gas block and will use a Sandman-S to suppress it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Jumped on the 6ARC 18" barrel from Noveske....it all escalated very quickly from there......waiting on receivers/handguard from cerakoter.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:16:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#15]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Jumped on the 6ARC 18" barrel from Noveske....it all escalated very quickly from there......waiting on receivers/handguard from cerakoter.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52828917017_9025f6f5d0_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52826991861_296004fa2b_b.jpg
View Quote

Very nice.  So you got the last one!  Keep us updated on the build.

Edit: What BCG are you going with?  Going to suppress it?  Have you decided on a buffer system and stock?

I went with a Magpul SL-S with the Arisaka bag rider and limbsaver recoil pad.  Seems to be designed for precision shooting with a CTR or SL stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:24:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#16]

Very nice.  So you got the last one!  Keep us updated on the build.

Edit: What BCG are you going with?  Going to suppress it?  Have you decided on a buffer system and stock?

I went with a Magpul SL-S with the Arisaka bag rider and limbsaver recoil pad.  Seems to be designed for precision shooting with a CTR or SL stock.
View Quote

Thanks!  

Got a Noveske black nitride BCG.  Going to run a Surefire SPS suppressor and noveske H3 buffer with their spring as that’s what they recommend.  

I too will be running a SLS stock as I have one laying around.  I didn’t know you could run a Arisaka bag rider on a SLS..???  May look into that as well.  

Glass will be a Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 with a piggybacked Leupold DPP red dot all on a Spuhr mount.   Hopefully have it all done by end of next week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks!  

Got a Noveske black nitride BCG.  Going to run a Surefire SPS suppressor and noveske H3 buffer with their spring as that’s what they recommend.  

I too will be running a SLS stock as I have one laying around.  I didn’t know you could run a Arisaka bag rider on a SLS..???  May look into that as well.  

Glass will be a Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 with a piggybacked Leupold DPP red dot all on a Spuhr mount.   Hopefully have it all done by end of next week.
View Quote

Only caveat is the bag rider requires their stock angle adapter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#18]
I've always had good luck accuracy and velocity wise with BA barrels, so I figured why not for $142.

Edit: Just realized my BCG is backwards

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always had good luck accuracy and velocity wise with BA barrels, so I figured why not for $142.

Edit: Just realized my BCG is backwards

https://i.imgur.com/hLj7prB.jpg
View Quote

Looks good.  Let us know how it shoots once it’s all together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:59:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#20]
Shot a 16” Proof quite a bit last summer/fall.  Did well out to my max range of 750y at the local club.

Over the winter decided I wanted something shorter and built up an 11.5” Craddock spun Bartlein blank (Signature line, always in stock for the most part) on a repurposed SBR lower.

Attachment Attached File

Built up a 20” Proof as well for the hell of it with my old somewhat recently torn down Grendel build.

Attachment Attached File

If I could ever get a moment away from work I may actually make it out to the range to get them sighted in and do some testing.  All Hornady factory loads for the moment but have a few powders to try out when I get back spun up into reloading.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Hope to get this thing at least zeroed this weekend.....

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52871892033_bb01b8c919_b.jpg
View Quote

Rifle looks bad ass!  Nice optic setup.

I'm going to make an update post soon about my 6ARC, barrel hates 105gr but 108gr did decent.  Jury is still out on this barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Was able to take my first shots with the rifle and get zeroed today.  Results weren't great but I think I can improve with some more trigger time behind this gun.  I will link some photos to my groups with 108gr ELDM and with SubMOA app photos.

Groups: https://imgur.com/a/9DgBG1C

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Was able to take my first shots with the rifle and get zeroed today.  Results weren't great but I think I can improve with some more trigger time behind this gun.  I will link some photos to my groups with 108gr ELDM and with SubMOA app photos.

Groups: https://imgur.com/a/9DgBG1C

https://i.imgur.com/awrAfAk.jpg

View Quote

Yours looks good as well!

Took mine also and go both scope and red dot zeroed.   I can’t get over how easy it was to just stack shots compared to 556 or 308 (which are my only other experiences).  

Looking forward to stretching this one out, and figuring out what works.  CTR stock feels better for me, but I need some sort of bag rider for this stock.

I am officially hooked on 6ARC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Yours looks good as well!

Took mine also and go both scope and red dot zeroed.   I can’t get over how easy it was to just stack shots compared to 556 or 308 (which are my only other experiences).  

Looking forward to stretching this one out, and figuring out what works.  CTR stock feels better for me, but I need some sort of bag rider for this stock.

I am officially hooked on 6ARC.
View Quote

I'm hoping it was human error that caused my flyers.  I was able to stack shots pretty close together then I'd have a flyer screwing up the group.  I'll keep putting rounds through it to get more data.

What ammo were you using?  108s or 105s?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Shot a 16” Proof quite a bit last summer/fall.  Did well out to my max range of 750y at the local club.

Over the winter decided I wanted something shorter and built up an 11.5” Craddock spun Bartlein blank (Signature line, always in stock for the most part) on a repurposed SBR lower.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/0E894874-FEF7-47FC-AE51-2AA72BB28C9D_jpe-2789017.JPG

Built up a 20” Proof as well for the hell of it with my old somewhat recently torn down Grendel build.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/31FA4DF8-4DD4-4160-A483-BD81F1893B7B_jpe-2789020.JPG

If I could ever get a moment away from work I may actually make it out to the range to get them sighted in and do some testing.  All Hornady factory loads for the moment but have a few powders to try out when I get back spun up into reloading.
View Quote

The top pic is beautiful

My next project will be a 6arc 12.5”

What velocities are you getting and what projectiles are your shooting?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]

I'm hoping it was human error that caused my flyers.  I was able to stack shots pretty close together then I'd have a flyer screwing up the group.  I'll keep putting rounds through it to get more data.

What ammo were you using?  108s or 105s?
View Quote

Been shooting 108s.  Haven’t had a chance to try anything else.  

Great feedback btw.  Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#28]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52871892033_bb01b8c919_b.jpg
View Quote

Bruh, you’re killing me.

Every time I finish up another / new build and say, that’s it….I come across a pic like this.

Love Noveske builds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Bruh, you’re killing me.

Every time I finish up another / new build and say, that’s it….I come across a pic like this.

Love Noveske builds.
View Quote

Thanks man.  I'm loving this thing.  Been wanting a 1000 yard rifle and was debating on other calibers, but glad I went 6ARC.   It really is the future of rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:40:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#30]
Slowly getting familiar with 6ARC and I love it.   100 yards....4-5 shot groups...had one group of 6 shots.    Please note, I am not a bench shooter by any means, as I am mostly into the short stuff and clones, but I must admit, I never shot this tight on the bench with 556 or 308.  I am not good at math (despite being half Asian), and am just a point and shoot kind of guy; however, 6ARC will make a shooter out of anybody.  

Shout out to forum member - @stainlineho for sending some that 105 black BTHPs.  

The groups at the tips of the center diamond were just groups I was sending down range.   POA were where the points were coming together.

Final target.  

Conclusion...I feel like I was slightly tighter with the 108s over the 105s, but then again...I wasn't stretching it out....105s may play a better role at that point? I don't know....   Optic also played a huge roll as the MK5HD is exceptional glass, especially being able to adjust parallax (which I wasn't really used to with other scopes I own).   I was also using an Atlas bipod with just a rear bag on the CTR sitting down, shooting suppressed the entire time.   Taking baby steps here, so I hope to really stretch it out on my next outing.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Fantastic shooting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Slowly getting familiar with 6ARC and I love it.   100 yards....4-5 shot groups...had one group of 6 shots.    Please note, I am not a bench shooter by any means, as I am mostly into the short stuff and clones, but I must admit, I never shot this tight on the bench with 556 or 308.  I am not good at math (despite being half Asian), and am just a point and shoot kind of guy; however, 6ARC will make a shooter out of anybody.  

The groups at the tips of the center diamond were just groups I was sending down range.   POA were where the points were coming together.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52899416426_1a53832e06_z.jpg

Final target.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52899866328_aa4e7cded1_z.jpg

Conclusion...I feel like I was slightly tighter with the 108s over the 105s, but then again...I wasn't stretching it out....105s may play a better role at that point? I don't know....   Optic also played a huge roll as the MK5HD is exceptional glass, especially being able to adjust parallax (which I wasn't really used to with other scopes I own).   I was also using an Atlas bipod with just a rear bag on the CTR sitting down, shooting suppressed the entire time.   Taking baby steps here, so I hope to really stretch it out on my next outing.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52899866323_8dfc9a801c_c.jpg
View Quote

Those are excellent groups.  I'm going to try to snip the pics and run them through the SubMOA app later on.  100yds exact for your range?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Those are excellent groups.  I'm going to try to snip the pics and run them through the SubMOA app later on.  100yds exact for your range?
View Quote

It was the rifle…trust me.  And yes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Just picked up 200 rounds of 108gr Hornady for $23.48+tax a box at Bud's Gun Shop.  I believe they had 30 boxes and it was gone within seconds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Just picked up 200 rounds of 108gr Hornady for $23.48+tax a box at Bud's Gun Shop.  I believe they had 30 boxes and it was gone within seconds.
View Quote

Good price.  Love the 108s.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:54:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#36]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52899416426_1a53832e06_z.jpg

Final target.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52899866328_aa4e7cded1_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52899866323_8dfc9a801c_c.jpg
View Quote

Insane groups man!

https://imgur.com/a/6ZMJyMJ

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Insane groups man!

https://imgur.com/a/6ZMJyMJ

View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Good price.  Love the 108s.
View Quote

I’ve noticed that it takes a couple rounds to season the barrel when switching between the Hornady ammo. It may help your groups to burn 2-3 before going for groups when switching.

Good shooting!

108’s fired first, then 105’s
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

I’ve noticed that it takes a couple rounds to season the barrel when switching between the Hornady ammo. It may help your groups to burn 2-3 before going for groups when switching.

Good shooting!

108’s fired first, then 105’s
https://i.imgur.com/GbTm3Dh.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the tip!  Will definitely do that next time out.  

Nice shooting there yourself!   What barrel, setup, etc. you running?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#40]
22” +2 gas Bartlein from Craddock Precision, Mega upper, Vortex AMG optic. Typically have it suppressed, but it’s wearing a PVA jet blast muzzle break currently.

300yds, smallest plate is 5”, but gets pretty narrow when flipped. I think this was with the Hornady 105’s.

6ARC, Craddock Precision 22” +2gas Bartlein
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
22” +2 gas Bartlein from Craddock Precision, Mega upper, Vortex AMG optic. Typically have it suppressed, but it’s wearing a PVA jet blast muzzle break currently.

https://i.imgur.com/cW5Ej65.jpg

300yds, smallest plate is 5”, but gets pretty narrow when flipped. I think this was with the Hornady 105’s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYfPeYpFJE
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Very nice indeed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#43]

https://i.imgur.com/cW5Ej65.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYfPeYpFJE
View Quote

Nice work. How long did you wait for that barrel? How far have you pushed the 108s?

Edit: have any velocity info??
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:21:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chumpmiester] [#44]
Here is how my 18" Odin Works barrel does with Hornady 108Gr ammo at 100 yards. The single shot circled in green was getting on paper at 100 yards. The two shots circled in blue were adjustments. The group circled in yellow is a five shot group.

Attachment Attached File

And here is a five shot group shooting Hornady 105Gr ammo at 100 yards. I did not make any scope adjustments when switching from 108Gr to 105Gr ammo.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Here is how my 18" Odin Works barrel does with Hornady 108Gr ammo at 100 yards. The single shot circled in green was getting on paper at 100 yards. The two shots circled in blue were adjustments. The group circled in yellow is a five shot group.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/108Gr_jpg-2822011.JPG

And here is a five shot group shooting Hornady 105Gr ammo at 100 yards. I did not make any scope adjustments when switching from 108Gr to 105Gr ammo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/105Gr_jpg-2822015.JPG
View Quote

You have any velocity data?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Nice work. How long did you wait for that barrel? How far have you pushed the 108s?

Edit: have any velocity info??
View Quote

The barrel was shipped in a few days, but it was part of a Independence day sale a year ago iirc.

Unfortunately I don’t have any recent chrono data after the barrel settled in after the first 100rds. I’ve got 2725fps loaded into my ballistic app and it’s held true out to 550yds. Sadly that’s as far as I’ve pushed it, but hope to stretch much further soon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:03:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#47]
I am going to start watching for a good barrel. I have a couple Wilson uppers I can build on and I like what I am seeing here. I need to run the ballistics to familiarize myself with this round.

Hmmm. Very similar ballistics to my 6.5 Creedmoor with 139 Scenar’s. Within 1.5 mil at 1,500, very interesting…
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#48]

You have any velocity data?
View Quote
No I don't. My chrono crapped out and I have yet to replace it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Only have factory 103gr ELD-X on hand currently but figured I’d post some velocity data for anyone looking to compile information.  Didn’t get to shoot any groups as I was zeroing 9 different rifles and finishing load development on my 6.5C bolt gun, by that point I’d already been there for about 6 hours.  

20” Proof CF (x10 shot avg): 2650fps

11.5” Craddock/Bartlein (x10 shot):  2294fps
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone have any time through the Lilja 6 ARC barrel? AR319 I believe…same profile as Grendel offering.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top