Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2019 2:39:01 PM EDT
I had an issue with H4350 availability but had a ton of IMR-4350 on hand. I searched and searched for 6XC load data with 105+gr bullets but found exactly nothing. So I looked at 6CM and 6x47L data and burn speed, bulk density and energy content and made an educated guess. My guess worked better than I'd hoped.

The load below was safe in my rifle. Your mileage may vary. Start at least 2 grains lower and work up.

Case: Norma LRP
Bullet: 115gr DTAC
Powder: IMR4350
COAL: 2.74
Primer: Federal 210
Charge: 39.5gr
MV: 3050 avg
SD: 7FPS
Barrel: 25.5" Columbia River Arms 3-land polygonal

I see the question asked constantly about IMR-4350 vs H4350. Nobody ever has the answer for IMR4350, they just say, "go get H4350." but that's both glib and unhelpful. With an identical load of H4350 I get 2980fps with similar SD's and an identical POI. Group size with both powders was identical, 5 shots into half an inch, 10 shots into 3/4" from a bench.

Yes, H4350 is more temp stable but sometimes you just have to run what you brung. I personally think IMR-4350 might be a better choice for those that shoot in relatively stable environmental conditions (so most of us). Velocity is higher without any more sign of pressure than H4350 (I'm sure there is a little more but not enough to say grace over).

Now you have the information anyway. IMR-4350 is a great powder choice for 6XC and other fast 6mm's like 6x47L and 6CM with bullets from mid-weight to heavy for caliber.

As always with my load data, this is information not advice. You are responsible for your actions and your safety. I provided data as an EXAMPLE of what can/will happen.  It's not a prediction or your results and you should exercise reasonable amounts of caution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top