BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

Are the JP barrels that Brownells sells the same as JP sells on their website?  Or is there some difference like there is with Satern?

Any reason to pick The 22" JP or the 23" Lilja, other than cost?  Having a tough time deciding, but that fluted AR24 profile looks appealing (for a target rifle)...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:
PF?

Precision Firearms.

Are the JP barrels that Brownells sells the same as JP sells on their website?  Or is there some difference like there is with Satern?

Any reason to pick The 22" JP or the 23" Lilja, other than cost?  Having a tough time deciding, but that fluted AR24 profile looks appealing (for a target rifle)...

Descriptions look the same, though it's more expensive at Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread convinced me to FO. All the components are on the way for my first build/first Grendel. Came in at $731 for a precision upper, in pretty happy with that.

midway was running a deal on 20" shilen barrel + 6.5 bolt for 470

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Not semi-auto, but those Howa Actions that are on sale at Brownells are looking very tempting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By miker84:
Not semi-auto, but those Howa Actions that are on sale at Brownells are looking very tempting.
View Quote

I've been looking at micro actions for bolt gun builds for my kids for a long time.

I keep going back and forth over just sticking with AR15s and not bothering, since I can do way more than a bolt gun ever can in every practical scenario I can think of.

The bolt guns tend to be easier to shoot, but I have yet to have a problem with all the kids I have let shoot 6.5 Grendel, especially when you see someone who has never really fired a rifle at long range before make 1st-round connects on 12" poppers at 600yds over and over again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
LRRP

For long range shooting 1k plus, I've seen where you and others have used the round effectively so I know it's possible, do you recommend a billet upper? I know that's pushing towards the edge of the rounds performance envelope and I don't want my build to hold me back to save $60. I'm new to this aspect of shooting so forgive me if it's a dumb question.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By clausewitz8:
LRRP

For long range shooting 1k plus, I've seen where you and others have used the round effectively so I know it's possible, do you recommend a billet upper? I know that's pushing towards the edge of the rounds performance envelope and I don't want my build to hold me back to save $60. I'm new to this aspect of shooting so forgive me if it's a dumb question.
View Quote

Where I'm at most of the year, up here in the high desert and Rockies/Uintahs, the air is a lot thinner, so even my little 16" surprised me with predictable ELR reach well past 1000yds, but it has the AA 1/7.5" twist, which I suspect is a big factor in that.

My personal approach to the heavier, thicker-walled billet receivers is that they are good for when you go with a more bull profile barrel, to balance out some of the resonant harmonics of the barrel whip when the waveform translates back through the upper.  You can see what I'm talking about on high speed camera, slow-motion video of the AR15 firing.

Many people will respond with the fact that the AMU and service rifle shooters use M16A2 upper receivers, and that is correct.  They also have the integral rib/rear sight housing that looks like a carry handle (was really the original design's charge handle protection), which adds a lot of reinforcement to the upper receiver that you simply don't have with the M4 upper.

For my 23" Lilja build I currently have sitting on the backburner, I'm using a Seekins billet upper with billet lower, because that barrel is pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Where I'm at most of the year, up here in the high desert and Rockies/Uintahs, the air is a lot thinner, so even my little 16" surprised me with predictable ELR reach well past 1000yds, but it has the AA 1/7.5" twist, which I suspect is a big factor in that.

My personal approach to the heavier, thicker-walled billet receivers is that they are good for when you go with a more bull profile barrel, to balance out some of the resonant harmonics of the barrel whip when the waveform translates back through the upper.  You can see what I'm talking about on high speed camera, slow-motion video of the AR15 firing.

Many people will respond with the fact that the AMU and service rifle shooters use M16A2 upper receivers, and that is correct.  They also have the integral rib/rear sight housing that looks like a carry handle (was really the original design's charge handle protection), which adds a lot of reinforcement to the upper receiver that you simply don't have with the M4 upper.

For my 23" Lilja build I currently have sitting on the backburner, I'm using a Seekins billet upper with billet lower, because that barrel is pretty heavy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By clausewitz8:

LRRP

Thanks!

I got a 20" hbar shilen ss barrel. I don't know what the exact weight is but the shipping weight is over 4lbs so I went with a billet. That's what I was worried about the more I thought on it, weight is not the be all end all of accuracy of course but I was concerned the weapon would be out of balance with a light anodized upper/lower and the reasons you mentioned above is putting my worries much more scientifically.

Anyways, keep up the good work spreading the grendel gospel. I'll have access to a 1k+ range soon and this thread convinced me to go 6.5, so congrats on earning a new convert
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
LRRP,
What subtensions do you think would more replicate 6.5G?

Looking at the Leupold MK6 CMR...they have a 7.62 and 5.56 reticle. Wondering which one would mimic the drop better. Perhaps 5.56 close in but 7.62 further?

Not sure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:
LRRP,

Looking at the Leupold MK6 CMR...they have a 7.62 and 5.56 reticle. Wondering which one would mimic the drop better. Perhaps 5.56 close in but 7.62 further?

Not sure.
View Quote

All you have to do is look at a ballistic calculator for your round, gun etc and match the the drop to the hash mark.  So say maybe 1 mill is 210 yards 3 mills is 430 etc etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:
LRRP,

Not sure.
View Quote

Some of the 123gr loads mimic M118LR pretty well (175gr SMK), but most 7.62 NATO reticles are calibrated for M80, which falls off really quick as distance increases.

I don't use ballistic reticles much beyond 400yds anyway, since the conditions will be variable enough to throw them off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I am curious to see results with the new Federal Gold Medal 130gr Berger Hybrid OTM
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I now have 2 6.5 grendels and started reloading thanks to LRRP.

I've had great results loading 123gr SMKS, and now have some 123gr Scenars arriving today so I can  start loading some ladders for them.

Has anyone tried shooting the Berger 130gr VLDs from a 1/9 twist barrel? Mine are both 20". I'm wondering if 130gr might be too heavy for that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dbrad197:
I now have 2 6.5 grendels and started reloading thanks to LRRP.

I've had great results loading 123gr SMKS, and now have some 123gr Scenars arriving today so I can  start loading some ladders for them.

Has anyone tried shooting the Berger 130gr VLDs from a 1/9 twist barrel? Mine are both 20". I'm wondering if 130gr might be too heavy for that.
View Quote

I think you'll need to test them to know for sure.  The ballistic twist calculator shows low end for stability which will adversely affect accuracy at extended range near the transonic zone.   I think this is a similar situation where some 1:9 twist 5.56/223 barrels are accurate with 70+ grain bullets and some are not.   I have two 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel barrels and would be interested to see results with 130 grain VLD bullets.  My Son in Law has a 22" Lothar Walther 6.5 CSS and he shoots 129 grain SST's accurately.   I think the longer 1:9 twist barrels might prove to stabalize better than my 1:9 16" or 20" 6.5 Grendels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#14]
This thread gives me wood.

Thanks for writing it up!!!

For those needing some convincing here are some rough visual comparisons:

The goodness of 6.5G in the physical and gravity footprint of a legacy M4/SPR outweighs a .260 Rem in an AR-10/SR-25/ HK CSASS.  The 260 also takes some gas tube length monkeying (2 more inches usually solves it, according to Tubb and his three NRA National Match wins with an SR-25).

Bravo, Paul.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:

I think you'll need to test them to know for sure.  The ballistic twist calculator shows low end for stability which will adversely affect accuracy at extended range near the transonic zone.   I think this is a similar situation where some 1:9 twist 5.56/223 barrels are accurate with 70+ grain bullets and some are not.   I have two 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel barrels and would be interested to see results with 130 grain VLD bullets.  My Son in Law has a 22" Lothar Walther 6.5 CSS and he shoots 129 grain SST's accurately.   I think the longer 1:9 twist barrels might prove to stabalize better than my 1:9 16" or 20" 6.5 Grendels.
View Quote

That seems to be the conclusion I was coming to from reading in a few other forums. AssumING I find a good 123gr Scenar load, I'm not too sure how much I would gain using the 130's.

It still may be worth it for fun, just to see what I come up with. My biggest concern is the time investment, that's what impedes me the most with reloading and shooting, Work is always getting in the way.

From what I understand you are absolutely right about the longer barrels stabilizing the 130s. If I had a 22 or 24" barrel the VLDs may be a little more realistic.

I think my next Barrel will be something in the 18" range with a tighter twist.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]
130gr Hybrids will do better with an 8 twist in 6.5 Grendel.

Main advantage to them over the 123gr target pills is extended supersonic reach.

The drop and drift is really close with a 123gr SMK or Scenar because of the speed difference.

From 18" guns, you can get over 2400fps with CFE and LVR.

20" guns will give you 2450-2500fps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey LRRPF52, I had a question. When i was at the gun shop a few months back they didnt have any more CFE223 or 8208XBR(which they usually have a bunch of) but a few canisters of Leverevolution. So i Picked one up with some N140(for the M39). About what velocities should i expect with this powder compared to CFE223 or 8208XBR with a 18 inch barrel with the 123gr secenrs or 129gr noslers?  I have seen it mentioned that leverevolution is a powder you can use, but i cant find much on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
Hey LRRPF52, I had a question. When i was at the gun shop a few months back they didnt have any more CFE223 or 8208XBR(which they usually have a bunch of) but a few canisters of Leverevolution. So i Picked one up with some N140(for the M39). About what velocities should i expect with this powder compared to CFE223 or 8208XBR with a 18 inch barrel with the 123gr secenrs or 129gr noslers?  I have seen it mentioned that leverevolution is a powder you can use, but i cant find much on it.
View Quote

There is data for it in Volume II of the Handbooks we published.

It's probably the fastest powder for 123-130gr.

Staying at 50ksi with CFE under a 123gr will give you 2410fps from an 18" barrel on average.

With LVR, you might get 2525fps with an 18" shooting 123gr Scenar, which is more like 20" speeds.

With the 129gr ABLR, you should be in the 2450-2480fps range, depending on the barrel.  

We included 10 different loads for LEVERevolution in Volume II, including:

120gr NBT
123gr AMAX
123gr SST
129gr SST
130gr Sierra Game King
130gr Swift Scirocco
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:51:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#19]

There is data for it in Volume II of the Handbooks we published.

It's probably the fastest powder for 123-130gr.

Staying at 50ksi with CFE under a 123gr will give you 2410fps from an 18" barrel on average.

With LVR, you might get 2525fps with an 18" shooting 123gr Scenar, which is more like 20" speeds.

With the 129gr ABLR, you should be in the 2450-2480fps range, depending on the barrel.  

We included 10 different loads for LEVERevolution in Volume II, including:

120gr NBT
123gr AMAX
123gr SST
129gr SST
130gr Sierra Game King
130gr Swift Scirocco
View Quote

Thanks! I am going to have to purchase that book. That is good to know, I just hope i now can work up an accurate load with it then as the LEVERevolution is some of the cheapest powder they sell since they generally sell alot of lever gun reloading supplies. I think i paid around $18 or $19 for the 1lbs keg.

But i have always wanted to know, how is the temperature sensitivity with LEVERevolution? Since i live in Virginia I wont have the extremes on either end that some members here experience, but the weather here is still very varied.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I suspect LVR is sensitive, being a ball powder.

CFE is sensitive too, over 1fps / degree F.

8208XBR isn't as sensitive, since it is extruded, but you really need to keep a lid on it with 123gr to 28.5gr.

It's one of the most accurate powders with 6.5 Grendel though, as is AR Comp.

I get 10rd ragged holes at 100yds, and sub-MOA rapid-fired 6rd groups at 1000yds with my CFE223 load of 31.2gr under 123gr AMAX.

I think I would load higher for a colder season load though to push back into the speed I get.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I suspect LVR is sensitive, being a ball powder.

CFE is sensitive too, over 1fps / degree F.

8208XBR isn't as sensitive, since it is extruded, but you really need to keep a lid on it with 123gr to 28.5gr.

It's one of the most accurate powders with 6.5 Grendel though, as is AR Comp.

I get 10rd ragged holes at 100yds, and sub-MOA rapid-fired 6rd groups at 1000yds with my CFE223 load of 31.2gr under 123gr AMAX.

I think I would load higher for a colder season load though to push back into the speed I get.
View Quote

Thanks for your help. I am not the most experienced reloading wise. So thank you for the all the help. I am just glad that my local gun shop stocks all of those powders.

In the summer i will be visiting a friend in Washington and there is shootable land that stretches all the way out to 2000 yards easily. So i cant wait to be able to stretch the Grendels legs out and see what it can do. I dont expect to hit at 2000 but i still what to see how far i can go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I've stretched my 16" to 1500yds and change on 20" gongs.

Didn't have 20 MOA cant on my base, so I only buy 20 MOA bases from now on for Grendel.

It was scary at 1200yds how predictable the impacts were the first time I shot that distance.

It was at this location, left of the Field of View here.  This is just 400yds, which is boring to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I've stretched my 16" to 1500yds and change on 20" gongs.

Didn't have 20 MOA cant on my base, so I only buy 20 MOA bases from now on for Grendel.

It was scary at 1200yds how predictable the impacts were the first time I shot that distance.

It was at this location, left of the Field of View here.  This is just 400yds, which is boring to shoot.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/2012-10-20154212.jpg
View Quote

I know the grendel has some legs on it. It was what drew me to it. I was on the grendel the day it you could have it, but never had my own gun in it. So i am pretty excited about it and cant wait untill my Precision firearms barrel gets here.

What 20 MOA bases do you use on your AR15?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like the NightForce Unimount, after years of using many different types of mounts.

I would use that or Geissele.  At SHOT last week, some of the biggest names in the optics industry even admitted that the Geissele mounts are the ones to beat.

NF Uni has Titanium cross bolts and jaws, and the fasteners have not shown a hint of corrosion after multiple winter Sniper and DM courses that I have used them in, unlike others out there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I really like the NightForce Unimount, after years of using many different types of mounts.

I would use that or Geissele.  At SHOT last week, some of the biggest names in the optics industry even admitted that the Geissele mounts are the ones to beat.

NF Uni has Titanium cross bolts and jaws, and the fasteners have not shown a hint of corrosion after multiple winter Sniper and DM courses that I have used them in, unlike others out there.
View Quote

Dont think i will be affording a Geissele mount any time soon. Would love one, but $300+ in a single scope mount is a bit much, especially since the most glass this thing will probably get s a SWFA 3-15x44 FFP.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I have ammo, bullets, brass, dies, an upper receiver, Reloading Handbook vol 1 & 2..  Just waiting on a barrel.  I have a PF Criterion barrel on order but in the meantime I ordered an Odin Works barrel that should be here next week.  Only accurate rifles are interesting.  I have a feeling that if I like the 6.5 Grendel as much as I think I will, my 5.56, 6x45 and .308 rifles will turn into safe queens..
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
Well I have ammo, bullets, brass, dies, an upper receiver, Reloading Handbook vol 1 & 2..  Just waiting on a barrel.  I have a PF Criterion barrel on order but in the meantime I ordered an Odin Works barrel that should be here next week.  Only accurate rifles are interesting.  I have a feeling that if I like the 6.5 Grendel as much as I think I will, my 5.56, 6x45 and .308 rifles will turn into safe queens..
View Quote

It got me out of .308 Win. and my .260 Rem is in pieces still.

I only use 5.56 for CQM now and back-ups for DM courses.

More Grendel builds planned in addition to the 4 I have.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Ordered volume 1 & 2 of the handbook although it will still be a few months till I start reloading for this caliber.

Still need a dedicated scope for the rifle as well as brass, bullets, dies, and trimmer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#29]

My 18 inch Criterion melonited 6.5 grendel barrel from Precision Firearms is being delivered today!!!!!!!

Bad thing is i will be at college until 10pm today.

I didnt even see that i got a shipping notification on the 31st. I am actually surprised it only took one day to ship.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I got out and shot my Grendel which I purchased after reading LRRP's threads here and on 65grendel.com. This was my first time shooting the Grendel other than a functions check and my first time shooting any gun passed 100 yrds.  I was able to successfully hit targets from 250 out to 800, which I found amazing.  I think I have found a new area of interest in the firearms world.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#31]
18 inch odin works barrel and bcg came in yesterday, upper and rail coming in today. Looking forward to putting together my upper and getting out to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#32]
First time out with the Grendel. 18" Odin Works kit. Did a little work on the extractor before getting to the range because I could already tell cases were going to get hung up. Used Hornady brass with 123AMax bullets and CFE 223. Not going to show the groups because I was all over the place using a basic mil-spec trigger and they won't do the barrel justice. I have a LaRue MBT on order to drop in to the lower. Attached are a few pictures of the chamber and bolt after the first 70 rounds. No cleaning or barrel break-in procedure was used. Just went out and shot. Used AE 120gr OTMs for sight-in at 50 yds. By the end, I was able to use them to hit clays at 200yds (longest my local range goes to). Topped with a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP RGrid scope I got from Optics Planet. They offered me a discount while I was looking at them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#33]
After reading tons of stuff on here and the rest of arfcom as well as elsewhere on the net, I am thinking of selling off all my .308 stuff and moving to 6.5 Grendel overall.  My .308 stuff is a Ruger GSR and a Ruger American in .308 with my ammo stash of mostly hunting ammo, dies, and brass.  I really love the AR platform and there is nothing that I can see that 6.5 Grendel could not do in place of the .308 bolt guns, plus I would have more commonality of parts and platform.  Seems like the 6.5 Grendel would be a great long range round and hunting round for deer and yotes.  I have 556/223 well covered.  I frankly don't shoot my 308s much except for hunting anyway.

Any reason not to make that kind of switch?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:32:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saryan] [#34]
Does anyone have any experience with these Christensen barrels? I have read a few tales of undersized gas ports in the past but the recent reviews I have read seem good. The price for a Carbon Fiber is not bad at all.https://www.rainierarms.com/christensen-arms-ca-15-carbon-barrel-assembly-6-5-grendel-18
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
After reading tons of stuff on here and the rest of arfcom as well as elsewhere on the net, I am thinking of selling off all my .308 stuff and moving to 6.5 Grendel overall.  My .308 stuff is a Ruger GSR and a Ruger American in .308 with my ammo stash of mostly hunting ammo, dies, and brass.  I really love the AR platform and there is nothing that I can see that 6.5 Grendel could not do in place of the .308 bolt guns, plus I would have more commonality of parts and platform.  Seems like the 6.5 Grendel would be a great long range round and hunting round for deer and yotes.  I have 556/223 well covered.  I frankly don't shoot my 308s much except for hunting anyway.

Any reason not to make that kind of switch?
View Quote

This is what I ended up doing.  

I had 3 different AR10s/LR-308s and got out of them entirely because of 6.5mm.

The biggest arguments in favor of .308 are:

1. Those who rely on Wal Mart for ammo, (something I haven't done in well over a decade).
2. Brass price for hand loaders

With the proliferation of 6.5 Grendel factory ammo, and lowering price of brass and ammo, those arguments are slowly disappearing.

When you get behind a 6.5 Grendel AR15 and shoot it, then get behind a .308 AR10 or even a SCAR-H, the .308s lose appeal very quickly.

There is so much more ability to focus on actually shooting and what happens to the target, due to only having 50% of the recoil, and less muzzle blast to distract you.

Additionally, the small frame of the AR15 is very easy to handle and manipulate, whereas the larger frame guns feel like dealing with a brick set.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Saryan:
Does anyone have any experience with these Christensen barrels? I have read a few tales of undersized gas ports in the past but the recent reviews I have read seem good. The price for a Carbon Fiber is not bad at all.https://www.rainierarms.com/christensen-arms-ca-15-carbon-barrel-assembly-6-5-grendel-18
View Quote

They make awesome barrels. If I was building a new grendel thats the barrel I would go with.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I think "Precision Firearms" makes the best L R match barrels.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By silver-duck:
View Quote

Hopefully I'll find out in 2-4 weeks..
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saryan] [#39]
View Quote

I have heard they do and based on the results others have posted I would have to agree. However I have a dealer account with Rainier so my cost on the barrel was too good to pass up plus the fact that i'ts carbon fiber and weighs only 1lb 14 ounces seals the deal. My goal is a lightweight LR hunting rig that shoots 3/4 MOA or better. I think it will do that easily.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

They make make the best but they leave alot to be desired in their communications and customer service.  My barrel was sent back for a huge burr probably 1/8 of an inch and knocked down to maybe little more then half that after I patched the bore. Took over a week to get the return label even though they were supposed to get it to me the next day.

Multiple emails never answered and they got the barrel back last Thursday and not a word from them.  No phone call saying it's fixed no emails nothing. I can tell you as the owner of some decent higher end gear such as pvs14 and other things they have been the absolute worst to deal with. 12-14 week order turned into over 20 weeks and that was before the barrel was sent back.

If I could do it over I would get the JP barrel or the linked one above at Rainer, the carbon fiber one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#41]

This is what I ended up doing.  

I had 3 different AR10s/LR-308s and got out of them entirely because of 6.5mm.

The biggest arguments in favor of .308 are:

1. Those who rely on Wal Mart for ammo, (something I haven't done in well over a decade).
2. Brass price for hand loaders

With the proliferation of 6.5 Grendel factory ammo, and lowering price of brass and ammo, those arguments are slowly disappearing.

When you get behind a 6.5 Grendel AR15 and shoot it, then get behind a .308 AR10 or even a SCAR-H, the .308s lose appeal very quickly.

There is so much more ability to focus on actually shooting and what happens to the target, due to only having 50% of the recoil, and less muzzle blast to distract you.

Additionally, the small frame of the AR15 is very easy to handle and manipulate, whereas the larger frame guns feel like dealing with a brick set.
View Quote
Follow up shots Are a breeze with the Grendel.  My first hunting season using the Grendel netted me a deer and a coyote, both were moving targets and I didn't lose the target in the scope during recoil.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#42]
FUSION MSR 6.5 GRENDEL

Fusion is Federal’s affordable brand of hunting ammunition. For the new year, the company added the 6.5 Grendel to the MSR line. Part of the goal of the MSR line is to ensure optimum performance from the shorter barrels typically found on AR style rifles (as compared to a traditional bolt-action hunting rifle.) The Grendel load will use a 120 grain bullet, though no additional information is available yet.
View Quote

Federal Fusion

To start, four calibers will be offered in the new lineup. First, a .223 Rem. target load features a 73-grain Berger BT Target bullet and retails at a suggested price of $32.95. Next, the company offers a 6.5 Grendel load featuring a 130-grain Berger Hybrid OTM bullet and retails at a suggested price of $34.95. Federal also offers a 6.5 Creedmoor load that also uses a 130-grain Hybrid OTM bullet, and that also retails at a suggested price of $34.95. Finally, the company offers a .308 Win. option that features a 185-grain Berger Juggernaut OTM bullet. The suggested retail price on the .308 Win. is also $34.95.
View Quote

New Federal Gold Medal Match Loads

This brings the number of factory loads for 6.5 Grendel up to 40 41 by my count, in addition to Hornady's new 123gr ELD-M Black load.

UPDATE:  Looks like they also have 90gr TNT 6.5 Grendel American Eagle Brand, and I didn't see anything about this at SHOT 2 weeks ago.

These are 50rd boxes
Midway Federal American Eagle 90gr TNT 50rd Box 6.5 Grendel

Joe Bob's
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#43]
LRRP what mags do you suggest getting?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I am sorry you are having trouble with Precision Firearms. Mark built a 24" Krieger, 6.5 G for me a couple of years ago. I have won a couple of 600Y, F class matches with it[ it shoots .30 moa with his 123 scenar ammo, as long as I do my part] It held "water line" at 1000Y in a match but my bad wind calls caused a problem.
Maybe because 6.5G is so popular now he is overwhelmed with business? I had no trouble reaching him.
I have several precision rifles but my two 6.5 G are the most fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RePp:

They make awesome barrels. If I was building a new grendel thats the barrel I would go with.
View Quote

Anyone know if CA uses SAAMI spec chambers? Good price or not, non-SAAMI chambers are a dealbreaker.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I just asked them on their website. Mine shows up tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By naverno:

Anyone know if CA uses SAAMI spec chambers? Good price or not, non-SAAMI chambers are a dealbreaker.
View Quote

They said they (Christensen Arms) use SAAMI chambers in their Grendel's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Swanson405:
LRRP what mags do you suggest getting?
View Quote

I really like the Elander 17rd mags.

I've had solid performance from CProducts, but one of my CProducts mags doesn't lock back on the last round for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Are these any good?
http://www.44mag.com/product/6_5_grendel_25_magazine/6_5_grendel_ar15_magazines

I remember something a while back about "someone" making mags for AA, AA not liking them, then "someone" selling the mags themselves.  But I can't remember who "someone" was.  Their 15 rounder is a straight body, so it kind of makes me think these could be them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Okay, got all the .308 stuff sold off, so looking for Grendel uppers.  I was thinking two different ones, but I am kind of wanting the Sig P320 Tacops with threaded barrel too, so might do one first.  Kind of want to test the waters first before a pricey upper/build.

It will get used for whitetail and coyotes and on the range a lot, wanting something somewhat precision as I do enjoy that, not great at it though.  I was thinking also of something that can handle Wolf steel case for just shooting cheaply, like the Hardened Arms ones.  Don't really want to shoot steel cased in a match barrel.  The upper will be suppressed, most likely with a Griffen Armament Recce 7 and/or YHM Phantom Ti QD 762.  So, I was thinking of starting with a 16 or 18 inch.

Uppers I had looked at:

Hardened Arms 16" upper

or

Hardened Arm 20" upper

Hardened Arms also said they are coming out with an 18" upper soon, not sure of the barrel type.

Or Radical Arms 20" match
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top