Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2022 7:47:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jitterbug]
I'm trying to find some data for this load, my most recent Hornady manual is the 7th Edition and it has 23.2 grains as a max load. I've read that the VMAX has a different ogive than most other 55 grain bullets requiring a lower charge weight. I found this out while searching for data with TAC and wondering why the loads appeared to be so much lower than other 55's.

I'm not able to find any "corroborating" data in the 23.2 grain max charge weight range or much data at all for what I would think is a popular bullet and powder. Hodgdon's reloading center wasn't helpful.

I have loaddata.com, Lyman 49th, a few Hornady manuals, and I searched the internet without much luck. The Lyman 49th has 25.8 grains as max load for a 60 grain VMAX but I don't' know if it's the same bullet type as the 55.

Anyone have any luck with this combo?

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:04:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#1]
Nm, Sry you said v max.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The 60 gr V-max is listed as 24 grain max charge in the Hodgdon manual.   I have used that one with success  in the past, but not with the 55gr V-max.  I actually didn't realize there was a 55 v-max.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/reloading-data-center
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
everything you need is right here

https://shootersreference.com/

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hornady
22 caliber V-Max
35gr
40gr
50gr
53gr
55gr
60gr
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read that the VMAX has a different ogive than most other 55 grain bullets requiring a lower charge weight. I found this out while searching for data with TAC and wondering why the loads appeared to be so much lower than other 55's.
View Quote

So does every-other bullet out there?
This has nothing do with charge weights unless a person was working with Solid Copper bullets which would be longer and require a different COAL etc.

I think IF you do a proper load work up using Hodgdon web data you will be just fine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The 55 Hornady V Max or 55 Nosler varmageddon over 25.0 H335 has been my prairie dog load of choice for many years. Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
If you look at the 55gr V-Max and their 55gr "traditional" FMJ-BT bullet, you'll see a big difference.  The V-Max has a very long, cylindrical body with a fairly short, almost conical ogive.  The FMJ bullet has a relatively short body with a longer, curved ogive.

The important difference is the length of the full diameter body of each.  There's a lot more barrel contact with the V-Max, which means more bullet resistance, higher pressure, etc.  That's where the "lower max charge" comes from.  It's almost like it's a 60+grain bullet in length...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top