Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2021 1:04:42 PM EDT
I am making some changes to my 700 in .308 (stock and scope).  It will see a little duty hunting in the coming years (deer and elk in CO).  I can reload for it so I am looking to see what bullets you like that might translate b/w target shooting and hunting.  Ideally I would have a round for shooting and a round for hunting that performed the same so that wind calls can stay the same and I don't have to tinker with re-zeroing one day to the next.  Historically I have shot Sierra Matchking 175 Gr HPBT.  I don't see anything that is a perfect match from them in their hunting options.  I guess the other option would be just switching to the hunting round for everything.  The price difference isn't crazy and and the small variation in accuracy between their tipped gameking and what I have been shooting would probably be moot if I shot it all of the time.

Anyone have thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By kchustle:
I guess the other option would be just switching to the hunting round for everything...  Anyone have thoughts?
View Quote
I like this option and the 180 grain Berger Elite Hunter.

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I guess the other option would be just switching to the hunting round for everything...  Anyone have thoughts?
I like this option and the 180 grain Berger Elite Hunter.

https://bergerbullets.com/images/products/vertical/30-Caliber-180-Grain-Elite-Hunter-Rifle-Bullet.png

Nice.  I appreciate the recommendation and I will check those out.  I also found the Hornady ELD-X in a 178, 200, 212 and 220.  They appear to be about $.25 a round cheaper which could add up over time.  I may have to roll some of each just to see how they shoot.  I also need to research how they perform hunting since that is a critical factor.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/30-cal-308-178-gr-eld-x#!/
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
My favorite "budget" precision bullet is the Nosler CC 175 grain.  If I wait for a sale (in non-pandemic times), I can get them for about 25¢ each.  I have never seen Berger bullets on sale and the cost (street price) for the 180 grain elite hunter is about 50¢ each (double the (best) NCC price but about equal to the NCC MSRP).

NCC 175s are also sold @ Midsouth as Match Monster 30 cal 175 grain @ 37¢ each in bulk.  Street price for NCC 175s is 40-ish¢ each and full bore MSRP is about 52¢ each.

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve always been fond of the hornady 178 grn HPBT, they used to be under .30 a piece.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I run the Hornady 178 AMAX over Varget in mine because I bought a ton of them years ago. It will put 5 shots within a dime at 100 yards.
Also works great on game. Out of my 20" barrel they are running a little over 2500 FPS.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:23:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrotherJackToo] [#6]
Back before I became a 7x57 addict, I used to run 150 Nosler Accubonds over Varget at approx 2800fps in my 308s.  Knocks over critters with authority, and would run sub MOA in any 308 rifle I ever owned that was worth a crap, and 1/2 MOA in a good rifle.   I would assume the heavier accubonds would likewise be fairly accurate, but I never tried any but the 150s.

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Nice.  I appreciate the recommendation and I will check those out.  I also found the Hornady ELD-X in a 178, 200, 212 and 220.  They appear to be about $.25 a round cheaper which could add up over time.  I may have to roll some of each just to see how they shoot.  I also need to research how they perform hunting since that is a critical factor.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/30-cal-308-178-gr-eld-x#!/
View Quote

178 eldx is what I load for my tikka ctr. I’ve taken 2 coues deer with them. One I hit high and shocked the spine and hit a lung. 300 yards DRT. Other double lung and ran 40 yards or so and died. 360 yards. Accuracy is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top