Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2015 4:44:17 PM EDT
Your experience with any of the rifles in the subject line?

Getting the .308 bug.

Uses - Target / Hog / Fun
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
OR Bushmaster, DPMS, JP Rifles, LWRC, POF, Rock River, Sig Sauer. Didn't want to leave any out for you!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/121_AR_Variants.html

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
KAC
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Haven't we gone down this path before?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By awmp:

Getting the .308 bug.

View Quote

I recently bought an RRA LAR-8 X1.  Cool looking, and has a great barrel.  Also, it shoots well under 1 MOA (close to 1/2MOA) using FGMM, which is pretty impressive for a semi.  $1500-1600 range.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JayC:

I recently bought an RRA LAR-8 X1.  Cool looking, and has a great barrel.  Also, it shoots well under 1 MOA (close to 1/2MOA) using FGMM, which is pretty impressive for a semi.  $1500-1600 range.

http://rockriverarms.com/images/products/pur8xs1.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JayC:

Getting the .308 bug.

http://rockriverarms.com/images/products/pur8xs1.gif

Shoot the challenge to prove it.     I added you to the Wall of Claim.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are in in MO? I have an OBR and tOBR I can let you shoot.  Once you go Larue you never go back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a lot of great rifles for you to chose from. I own a DPMS and love shooting it. If the above poster shows his RRA groups in the one moa challenge and they are anywhere close to .5 moa I would look at that one.

Until then, I am really interested in the Wilson and the LaRue Tobr. I give the Tobr the edge due to the forthcoming sparrels, quick caliber change barrels. This one feature really adds some versatility to these guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
There are a lot of great rifles for you to chose from. I own a DPMS and love shooting it. If the above poster shows his RRA groups in the one moa challenge and they are anywhere close to .5 moa I would look at that one.

Until then, I am really interested in the Wilson and the LaRue Tobr. I give the Tobr the edge due to the forthcoming sparrels, quick caliber change barrels. This one feature really adds some versatility to these guns.
View Quote

We have several of the "sharpshooter" LMT MRP packages at work, and they shoot nickel sized groups at 100y. And they have a well established quick barrel change.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smithbusiness] [#10]
Larue (only if you are willing to wait some time)

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By smithbusiness:

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/3522/orQj4h.jpg
View Quote

Why I just read that the wait was 30 days.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a MWS. It's accurate, well built and so far 100% reliable.

I don't use the barrel swap out feature because I only have the one barrel. But I plan to get a .338 barrel in the future.

The 2-stage trigger to me is not quite as crisp as my SSA but nice enough I won't be swapping it out.

LMT now sells a DMR stock that you don't have to install a new buffer tube for.

I've only shot 149g ball ammo so far and it's been roughly  2MOA but I know that's a limit of the ammo, myself and the optic. I just put a NF 5.5-22x56 on it and have some match ammo (2 things I haven't had until now). If I can get out to the range in the next week I'll post the results. My suspicion is it will be subMOA if I don't suck.

If I had to do it again, I'd still get the MWS, maybe the slick side though. The biggest downside is it's heavy as shit an very front heavy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
This!!! My brother and I both have them.  Ours love 168 gr FGMM.  Sub moa all day.  

Originally Posted By FlyNavy75:
I have a MWS. It's accurate, well built and so far 100% reliable.

I don't use the barrel swap out feature because I only have the one barrel. But I plan to get a .338 barrel in the future.

The 2-stage trigger to me is not quite as crisp as my SSA but nice enough I won't be swapping it out.

LMT now sells a DMR stock that you don't have to install a new buffer tube for.

I've only shot 149g ball ammo so far and it's been roughly  2MOA but I know that's a limit of the ammo, myself and the optic. I just put a NF 5.5-22x56 on it and have some match ammo (2 things I haven't had until now). If I can get out to the range in the next week I'll post the results. My suspicion is it will be subMOA if I don't suck.

If I had to do it again, I'd still get the MWS, maybe the slick side though. The biggest downside is it's heavy as shit an very front heavy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:04:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Space-One275] [#15]
FWIW, my LT pOBR just came with a .389 test target....

Just saying.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Rhino Arms
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
LaRue and JP are the only two I would consider.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#19]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

Careful, Akethan will show up to hand you a 1 MOA dance card.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fps:

This!!! My brother and I both have them.  Ours love 168 gr FGMM.  Sub moa all day.

<snip>

Added to The Wall of Claim.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys can stop now. OP is going to get his hands on a tOBR this weekend...but I am bringing a crowbar to get it out so after that it's all on Mark.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Yeah, plus or minus a little.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nicholasgentges:
Originally Posted By smithbusiness:

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/3522/orQj4h.jpg

Why I just read that the wait was 30 days.

Yeah, plus or minus a little.

Wow that's awesome. Quite the chop in the wait times!
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
You guys can stop now. OP is going to get his hands on a tOBR this weekend...but I am bringing a crowbar to get it out so after that it's all on Mark.
View Quote

You are a wise man.  So how hard did you have to pry on that bar to get your rifle back?  And is the smile still on OP's face?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:13:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sea2summit] [#23]
Originally Posted By mezzkat:

You are a wise man.  So how hard did you have to pry on that bar to get your rifle back?  And is the smile still on OP's face?  
View All Quotes

I had to distract him with an OBR to get him to let go.  Said something about wife and trouble and needing a place to sleep tonight if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I was one of only two designated Police Snipers on my old high-crime-area city PD.  Even back then I was pushing for a semi-auto with  a 3x-9x scope considering that platform to be much more versatile than the bolt-actions with 10x scopes we were issued.  

My experience with 7.62 (.308) semi-autos is limited = two HK's and a Ruger.  All three were <1MOA with the best loads, which is all the accuracy city PD snipers need considering they hardly ever have to take shots at over 100y.

The best of the three IMO is the Ruger SR-762.  It is accurate, strong, handy, soft recoiling, has good BUIS and all the rails you need.  Just add a good 1x-4x or 1x-6x scope, white light and laser and you are ready for anything from house clearing to +/- 300 yard 1MOA precision shots.  Street price = $1500 + tax & shipping.  You can certainly spend more for other 7.62's, but how much difference is there between 1 MOA and 1/2 MOA?  The difference between a 1" group and a 1/2" group measured center to center is only 1/4".
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:47:45 AM EDT
[#25]
What's your budget?  At the Larue price point don't discount some of the demo SR.-25 EMC's that were just released.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fps:

<snip>

Yup! I got called out.  I was talking about the rifle being a sub moa rifle all day.  I am a sub moa shooter some of the time but I am up to the challenge!  I just need some time to get to the range.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Dang !  After shooting with sea2summit (which by the way is a very good shot and knows his stuff) I find myself wanting and saving for a LaRue.

Well should I say saving for a LaRue PredatOBR in 7.62, the only reason saving for the 7.62 is a I bought a LaRue PredatOBR in 5.56 last night!

Got home after shooting and my wife said how was it, I started talking and she said oh no, here we go again! LOL. Yeap, hold on baby!

I had to distract him with an OBR to get him to let go.  Said something about wife and trouble and needing a place to sleep tonight if I remember correctly
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Shucks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Dang !  After shooting with sea2summit (which by the way is a very good shot and knows his stuff) I find myself wanting and saving for a LaRue.

Well should I say saving for a LaRue PredatOBR in 7.62, the only reason saving for the 7.62 is a I bought a LaRue PredatOBR in 5.56 last night!

Got home after shooting and my wife said how was it, I started talking and she said oh no, here we go again! LOL. Yeap, hold on baby!

View Quote

You will not be disuhpoint
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:24:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#30]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

You won't be disappointed.  I've had 3 from Larue. once I saw I literally could shoot as well with an obr as I could with full custom bolt guns I got rid of the bolt guns.

Only downside is semi autos chew up my brass a little worse.

I have a 762 tObr now,  simply am amazing piece of technology/fabrication. You're gonna love it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: awmp] [#32]
What load are you shooting? Curious about bullet weight.

I have an Aimpoint M4 I'm going to put on my rifle and maybe a 1-8 scope I would like to find.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zpsa2b250f7.jpg

There's a 14.5" PredatOBR with a Bushnell HDMR  rolled up in that box,  I just assembled it a bit ago and shot one shot at a 100 yards, demoing to a gentleman capabilities.

I then broke it down and put it back in the box.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
I have an Aimpoint M4 I'm going to put on my rifle and maybe a 1-8 scope I would like to find.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zpsa2b250f7.jpg
There's a 14.5" PredatOBR with a Bushnell HDMR  rolled up in that box,  I just assembled it a bit ago and shot one shot at a 100 yards, demoing to a gentleman capabilities.

Federal Gold Medal Match 7.62/175 gr.

Mark,

Did you stop using FGMM 168 gr. ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#36]

We go back and forth, depending on what we found last.  Spotty supply of it still.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SHSUCB33:

Federal Gold Medal Match 7.62/175 gr.

Mark,

Did you stop using FGMM 168 gr. ?

We go back and forth, depending on what we found last.  Spotty supply of it still.

Mark...

Do you guys buy it from Federal or from distributors? I bet you get it by the pallet! Can you post up a picture of your ammo stash/pallet and one of the fired brass? I'd love to see it!

ZA
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I have the LMT mws  and find it to be an outstanding rifle. Fitted with the Geissele trigger it shoots .60-.75 MOA with match ammo, sometimes better with the suppressor installed. You can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I went with LaRue. I had a LMT before and liked it ok but as soon as I picked up a LaRue the quality workmanship was there for me.

Shooting both 5.56 and .308 in the PredatOBR was a mistake (wifes take on it). Very smooth operation, great triggers, very accurate and great company reputation. (same reason I use Dillion, Wilson, Springfield Armory and S&W). I will pay more if I know the company stands behind their product. I can finally afford to buy and choose what I really want. (well almost).

I talked to several friends that also own LaRue products and all had nothing but good things to say. (not easy in this day and age).

I plan on shooting my rifles suppressed as well. I was able to shoot both 5.56 and .308 suppressed with a Surefire can, was a ton of fun.

I called LaRue before I purchased the rifles. Actually I think I called several times and asked a ton of questions. I actually got a person on the phone and the humans I talked  too could answer my question and they were not in another country talking in a dialect of English I could not understand. I was not put on hold for 30 mins, I did not have to repeat my questions four or five times in my Texas Native accent.

So I choose the rifles based on feel, performance, reputation, quality of the product and the companies dedication to customer service and making a good rifle.

So if your looking for something good, I would recommend LaRue. I'm know there are other Rifles out there. They may be cheaper or more expensive, shoot just as well or even better, but I like my choice. I have some good rifles, a good wife, good family, live in the U.S.A.end even have a good dog, I don't think it gets any better than that.

BTW, I don't get anything for the above, don't work for LaRue and recently retired from 27 years in the Army and these were my retirement gifts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#39]
May seem stupid.  But I am looking also.. Is the a reason the LaRue 7.62 do not have a forward assist?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Not really needed in a 7.62, or really in modern high quality 5.56's IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#41]
OP
It is all in what you want to pay I've owned the $1700 sig 716 to the $5300 ECC and while you get more features as you move up in price they all can outshoot me so the accuracy is not that noticeable **for me**.
I wanted a duel role carbine something I could clear rooms with or stretch out to 800 and the ECC does this the best. If you have the $8k to spend get a kac ECC with leupold CQBSS it truly doesn't get better for this platform of rifle.
But if you are on a budget take a serious look at the sig 716 my only complaint was the rail length and that has been resolved, it was also BY FAR the most reliable of all 308 guns I've owned. Both my larues and kac have had problems ejecting.
SIG(top rifle)

OBR

TOBR

KAC ECC
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:08:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#42]
My LMT MWS is really outstanding, it is less than 1 MOA with FGMM. My best group was 5/8".

It is heavy, but I will add, if the 7.62 OBR is anything like my 5.56 OBR, you will be very, very happy.  

This 5.56 is built like no other rifle, not even my LMTs.  I have shot a friends LWRC REPR a lot and though it is built and finished very well, I was not impressed, compared to my MWS.  The only other I have shot, in .308 caliber, was the Armalite, iron sights, so I could not get a judge on precision accuracy.  Cycled very well.  If I do purchase another 7.62 it will be the OBR, not now though, I have a 12" OBR in my sights, so to speak.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:55:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#43]
SR-25 ECR

$3552

https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/sr-25-ecr-special-release/

Or a OBR

If you don't have that kinda $$$ LMT MWS $2200-2600

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I have two MWS's. They are built like tanks and are battle proven.  OBR's are very nicely built guns, but I prefer a tank over a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By dnguyen747:
I have two MWS's. They are built like tanks and are battle proven.  OBR's are very nicely built guns, but I prefer a tank over a Ferrari.
View Quote

...and the OBR isn't?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I love my 16" LWRC REPR Leonidas, it's nice not having blowback in your face all day. Shot it out to a grand last weekend for the first time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hk33] [#47]
Originally Posted By orpheus762x51:

...and the OBR isn't?  
View All Quotes

...and the OBR isn't?  

lol... no
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#49]
tOBR is what I want.

LMT MWS is what I can afford.

ramen noodles every day gets old.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Tanks breakdown a lot, so I get your angle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m4hk33:

...and the OBR isn't?  

lol... no

Tanks breakdown a lot, so I get your angle.

LoL, so you are a tanker now, I thought you were a machinist...

a simple we do not pursue contracts that place our weapon systems on the modern battlefield as we are dedicated to providing top notch precision weapons systems to organizations that are more focused on enforcing laws and regulations
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top