Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2022 2:26:55 PM EDT
Newlywed here and as a wedding gift the new wife is tossing me $2500 to spend on a new rifle. I have a bunch of 6.5CM brass, already have 2 .308 auto loaders so I figure now is the time to get my first 6.5CM.

So if you had $2500 for the rifle (I’ll buy glass separately) what would you be looking at?  This is just for fun, not competition but want all the rifle I can get for the money.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MSC182:
Masterpiece Arms PMR Pro

GA Precision PPR
View Quote

Another vote for the MPA
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
same as previously stated, or build an aero precision M5 receiver set with a JP supermatch barrel if you want to go the AR route
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
To be honest, a stock RPR with a solid scope is pretty tough to beat
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#5]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
To be honest, a stock RPR with a solid scope is pretty tough to beat
View Quote
RPR is a good choice.  I've got a few now.

- Reliable.
- Takes SR25 magazines, including 25rnd pmags and even D50 drums.
- Barrels are available from most precision barrel makers after you burn out the factory barrel. 6.5creed 2k-3k rounds.
- Barrel swap involves savage style barrel nut so it can be done with hand tools in your garage, no lathe required.
- 20 or 30MOA picatinny scope rail.
- Can mount any AR stock based on carbine buffer tube.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd go MPA, they build really nice stuff, full custom for production price...You have several choices in chassis from them from the ultra lite 2.5 pd chassis to the prc comp BA chassis and several in between...
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Seekins HIT or HIT PRO ,  $2100 and $2400.   Haven't handled one yet but the features shown in their video really impressed me,    main thing was the barrel changes, remove one screw and spin the barrel out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#9]
What about building one from the ground up?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ellenripley:
What about building one from the ground up?
View Quote

I’m not opposed, especially looking at lead times on these rifles, but how hard is it to do the right way?  I feel like I’d manage to screw it up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Kelbly Koda
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By adawg:

I’m not opposed, especially looking at lead times on these rifles, but how hard is it to do the right way?  I feel like I’d manage to screw it up.
View Quote

Not hard, I did mine, its a Defiance tenacity action, bartlein barrel, that my smith threaded and chambered than shipped it to me, I screwed it on and checked it with go/no go gauges...pretty simple...You don't have to use a nut to lock down the barrel on all of them..Defiance(and others I bet) have their clearances down to where any competent smith can shoulder and chamber a barrel and it will fit perfectly...

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MSC182:
Masterpiece Arms PMR Pro

GA Precision PPR
View Quote
This or buy a zermatt origin, Proof prefit, trigger of your choice, and stock/chassis of your choice.

Only specialized tools you will need are a barrel vise and action wrench.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Tikka T3x TAC1 in 6.5CM.

It shoots very well 0.3 MOA.  I would have likely bought the Sako TRG had I known Tikkas are budget Sakos—but I really don’t know how Sako could improve on the Tikka.  It’s smooth as glass action & accuracy are amazing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a Tikka and spend the rest on good glass.  If going CTR get a nice chassis for it.  Can't beat a Tikka action.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By adawg:
Newlywed here and as a wedding gift the new wife is tossing me $2500 to spend on a new rifle. I have a bunch of 6.5CM brass, already have 2 .308 auto loaders so I figure now is the time to get my first 6.5CM.

So if you had $2500 for the rifle (I’ll buy glass separately) what would you be looking at?  This is just for fun, not competition but want all the rifle I can get for the money.

Thanks!
View Quote

A tikka ctr in a new chassis of your choice. Shoot barrel out buy a pre fit. Repeat indefinitely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I would assemble on one your own or order the parts from altus and they’ll do it for 35 dollars.

Action - Zermat origin
Barrel - proof profit
Trigger tech diamond
Break - area 419 Hellfire
Try a chassis or stock you think you’ll like. If you do end up not liking it sell it and buy something else.

I would recommend the gap ppr too. If you want a 60 degree bolt throw then look at the Curtis pmr. I think the bolt lift is to heavy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:50:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kcobean] [#20]
Just a suggestion while you're rifle shopping....6CM is about 25-30% cheaper per round than 6.5CM if you're shooting factory ammo.  IMO, while barrel life is not as long on a 6CM, it's a better cartridge.  It's softer shooting, it doesn't go subsonic until around 1400 yards, it's cheaper to shoot, and it's got a flatter trajectory.  Yes, the wind will push a 108gr 6mm bullet more than a 140gr 6.5 but the 6mm will get there faster.  

Now, with that said, I can't strongly enough praise the MPA guns regardless of what caliber you get.  I have an MPA BA PMR Pro in 6CM, it's $2500 to meet the PRS production price cap.  I added a weight kit to get the weight up to 22.5 lbs, an Atlas bipod and a good scope and I can go to my local 1000 yard range and ring steel targets from 600 to 1000 yards all day long with Hornady ELD-m factory ammo.  

Here's a pic of a 3 shot group at 1000 yards at just over .5 MOA off of a bench rest (we were getting chrono data for it). My ES was 9 FPS, with the middle being right at 3000 FPS.  Second pic is a .5 moa 5 shot group at 600.  I love this gun

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just a quick ETA:  The guy who was shooting my gun for this 1000 yard group (it was his chrono at his bench), had never shot a 6CM before.  He loved the way it shot so much he went out and bought at least a 6CM barrel and maybe a whole gun I'm not sure.  But he LOVED the way it shot compared to his 6.5.  It really is different.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ll go third on the MPA rifle

American Rifle Company has this in your price range.
https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/nucleus-gen2-rifle-1200?category=15#attr=86,146

Seekins Havak Hit Pro

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Bergera or tikka with an accuracy international chassis
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Darkamek:
I’ll go third on the MPA rifle

American Rifle Company has this in your price range.
https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/nucleus-gen2-rifle-1200?category=15#attr=86,146

Seekins Havak Hit Pro

View Quote

My American Rifle Company Nucleus rifle in 6cm will be here Wednesday. It came down to this and the MPA, and decided to go with the ARC cause actual build time was only around 4 weeks and for the action itself. Shot a buddy’s MPA yesterday and still plan on getting one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:36:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#24]
Originally Posted By bayoumk114:

My American Rifle Company Nucleus rifle in 6cm will be here Wednesday. It came down to this and the MPA, and decided to go with the ARC cause actual build time was only around 4 weeks and for the action itself. Shot a buddy’s MPA yesterday and still plan on getting one.
View Quote

This day and age any custom action and 99.9% of barrels will be amazing. I would literally have no qualms about taking any of them to a match or buying one long as it takes a pre fit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I lusted after a SAKO TRG-22 for years. For the money I'll probably end up buying a Takka Tac A1 myself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Tikka T3x Tac A1 + Vortex Viper PST GenII 3-15  plus some rings.  That should land right around your budget or a little less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top