Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2018 11:13:48 AM EDT
Recommendations on magazines for a "precision" AR in .223/5.56???

Only need 5 rounds, as I will likely just be doing 5 round groups (bench or prone).  Can't seem to find any that seem reputable.

Do most people use 10 round mags?  Magpul or Lancer (don't see any good metal 10 rounders, Brownells has them but with a big plastic thing on the bottom).

I'd like something good quality, and prefer a low profile so I can get my arm under mag well for sling use.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:41:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StraightMiataMan] [#1]
AR Stoner

ASC Steel

ASC Aluminum

Originally Posted By soulman:
Do most people use 10 round mags?  Magpul or Lancer (don't see any good metal 10 rounders, Brownells has them but with a big plastic thing on the bottom).
View Quote
Yup. Given the AR magwell, a 5rd mag is going to be the same size as a 10rd anyways. Personal favorites are the Lancer mags. I haven't ran their 10rds, but their 20 and 30rds have been fully good to go for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soulman] [#2]
Thanks.  Hadn't seen the ASC.  I saw the AR SToner on Midway but have seen some mixed reviews on the AR Stoner products (although 4.3 stars on Midway for the magazines).  I recall BCG's or something that people were disappointed in Stoner so didn't have a lot of faith.

Hoping to get metal mags to paint to match the gun, but also want to do the modifications to feed lips etc in the precision AR sticky (just more stuff to tinker with )

Anyone have experience with the ASC's or Stoners??

ETA: don't see any information on if the Stoners are made in USA (?)  anyone know if they are?  The ASC's are US made....
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By soulman:
Thanks.  Hadn't seen the ASC.  I saw the AR SToner on Midway but have seen some mixed reviews on the AR Stoner products (although 4.3 stars on Midway for the magazines).  I recall BCG's or something that people were disappointed in Stoner so didn't have a lot of faith.

Hoping to get metal mags to paint to match the gun, but also want to do the modifications to feed lips etc in the precision AR sticky (just more stuff to tinker with )

Anyone have experience with the ASC's or Stoners??

ETA: don't see any information on if the Stoners are made in USA (?)  anyone know if they are?  The ASC's are US made....
View Quote
I haven't used their mags, but I've a few thousand into their buffer assembly with absolutely 0 complaints. Their 5rd mags were getting good marks on a quick google search for 5 round mags. I've no idea if they're US made or not, it's just Midway's in-house brand.

I'd honestly recommend lancers. I love mine so much. You can rit-dye or paint them, and they give you the advantages of polymer mags with the advantages of steel feed lips. Really the only downside I've ever been able to find for Lancers is the cost.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Magpul and MFT 10 rounders.  Both are GTG.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
20 round magazines don't interfere at all with bench or prone shooting.

Lancer
NHMTG
OKAY
Magpul
D&H
PRI.

All are quality products and widely available.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CajunRebel] [#6]
Precision?  https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-pri-mod-5.56.htm

I bought two,, never had any issues whatso ever.

These are new PRI 10 round .223/5.56 SPC magazines that have been modified to load longer than standard magazine length.

They have been professionally modified to allow loading up to 10 cartridges to an over all length of 2.36 inches in a standard AR15 lower magazine well. This will allow the reloader to load his projectiles longer than standard magazine length. Allowing for adjusting the projectile closer to the lands for accuracy or increased performance. Bench-rest shooters single load to take advantage of the benefits. Now you can get the same in an AR15 without the hassle of single loading.
We chose PRI to use as they are the most reliable and strongest magazines made. Due to this they are also costly to acquire.

They will work with any calibers based on the .223/5.56 parent case. .223, 5.56, 300 Blackout or any other cartridges based on the .223/5.56 case.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AcidGambit] [#7]
USGI. OKay industries and the new Brownell’s.

I don’t recommend MP because of sketchy fit in some lowers. Great mag, if they fit, and the batch is equal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AcidGambit:
USGI. OKay industries and the new Brownell's.

I don't recommend MP because of sketchy fit in some lowers. Great mag, if they fit, and the batch is equal.
View Quote
How recent are "new" Brownell's? My '09s are okay, '15s were junk.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I've switched over to new Okay Surefeed 20 rounders for precision 5.56 mags.   Got a few to try them out, liked them, bought twice as many.

They work, not much else to say about it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I use mainly 10rnd. Magpul mags, but sometimes I'll use 20rnd'ers. Either way, either one will not be a problem from the bench or prone. 10RING
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have several lancer 10 rounders but Found I prefer a 20 rnd better as it hangs down further but still doesn't interfere with shooting off a bench or prone
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CajunRebel:
Precision?  https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-pri-mod-5.56.htm

I bought two,, never had any issues whatso ever.

These are new PRI 10 round .223/5.56 SPC magazines that have been modified to load longer than standard magazine length.

They have been professionally modified to allow loading up to 10 cartridges to an over all length of 2.36 inches in a standard AR15 lower magazine well. This will allow the reloader to load his projectiles longer than standard magazine length. Allowing for adjusting the projectile closer to the lands for accuracy or increased performance. Bench-rest shooters single load to take advantage of the benefits. Now you can get the same in an AR15 without the hassle of single loading.
We chose PRI to use as they are the most reliable and strongest magazines made. Due to this they are also costly to acquire.

They will work with any calibers based on the .223/5.56 parent case. .223, 5.56, 300 Blackout or any other cartridges based on the .223/5.56 case.
View Quote
Now those are very interesting; thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
E-Lander makes an excellent all steel magazine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
20 round magazines don't interfere at all with bench or prone shooting.

Lancer
NHMTG
OKAY
Magpul
D&H
PRI.

All are quality products and widely available.
View Quote
Out of stock.  I will likely order some when they come in.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#15]
20’s or lower work perfect, while shooting low from prone or the bench with them it’s always the grip that interferes before the mags. If you insist on 5’s, I went with some 5rd lancers for use back when OK had <7rd mag cap laws for deer season (they’ve since changed this), and they worked great...aside from only holding 5 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top