Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2021 9:17:01 AM EDT
I went to AES Milwaukee before HRO bought them out

it was a really nice store. they let me test and compare HF radios.

Ham Station in Evansville Indiana was a cluster fuck

roof leaking

shit piled everywhere

tower sections laying on the floor

it was awesome

I’ve never been to an HRO, associated,  or R&L

what have you seen ?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have only been to the HRO close to my house. VERY well organized and you must be a HAM to work there. The guys there ranged from 30's to 70's and seemed to know what they were talking about. The prices seemed a little high compared to what I could find online but the knowledge base is worth something.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I miss having Universal in my backyard. Now I have to drive all the to Akron and hit up DX.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of the ones around here have gone bust.

I have had good luck doing business with HRO in NH, but have never been to the store.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in R&L yesterday.  They are back open.  They are nice and have a good used selection.

Memphis used to have a store.  Memphis Amateur Electronics?  It was decent.  I went to Texas Towers in Dallas once and wasnt impressed.  They are shut down now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
AES was my local till they closed it down…solid selection of equipment and knowledgeable guys behind the counter…also sponsered the Orlando hamcation…I even got 2 of my licenses there…Pitt they closed up shop…now I’m relegated to mail order from gigsparts or dx engineering
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
There used to be a radio store in Oak Park outside Chicago. I can't remember the name of the place, it was right alongside the Eisenhower.

When I first got my license I made many a journey to that place.

I used to use AES in Milwaukee when I was active years ago, but never made it to the store.

As far as I know, there are NO radio stores in IL these days.

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
HRO is the only one I've been inside within the past 30 years, the Phoenix store seems really
well run and I've done online orders through them where they've done near real-time followup
on issues that came up.

In the 80s we had a few hole-in-the-wall type places that catered to electronics hobbyists and
did a little ham stuff on the side, but that business model is long gone. I'm just happy I have
the option of driving for an hour or two and be able to touch radios, even though I seldom do that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in R&L yesterday.  They are back open.  They are nice and have a good used selection.

Memphis used to have a store.  Memphis Amateur Electronics?  It was decent.  I went to Texas Towers in Dallas once and wasnt impressed.  They are shut down now.
View Quote

Oh man that is cool, I love those guys!  Have gotten 2 radios from them so far.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HRO is the only one I've been inside within the past 30 years, the Phoenix store seems really
well run and I've done online orders through them where they've done near real-time followup
on issues that came up.

In the 80s we had a few hole-in-the-wall type places that catered to electronics hobbyists and
did a little ham stuff on the side, but that business model is long gone. I'm just happy I have
the option of driving for an hour or two and be able to touch radios, even though I seldom do that.
View Quote

I live 5 miles from the current Phoenix HRO location & avoid it. Too many issues with them over the years going all the way back to their Camelback Rd location.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most of the ones around here have gone bust.

I have had good luck doing business with HRO in NH, but have never been to the store.
View Quote

I became licensed in early 2017 and a month later we were heading from MA (our home at the time) to ME for vacation, so I stopped at HRO in NH and bought some radios. I received a lot of good advice from Cal at that store. I've also bought from them at Near Fest and Boxboro (now HamXposition). I've only been to the store one other time, but will likely head there in the near future now that I live mere miles from their location and they are back allowing customers in the store. The NH store is rather small but jam-packed with gear. I've never been to any other store, so I can't compare it to anything else.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Associated Radio in Overland Park. Kansas
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you saying its the best ?

we went to KC a few years ago, and I forgot to check it out.

the WWI museum was amazing

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ham Station in Evansville Indiana was a cluster fuck

roof leaking

shit piled everywhere

tower sections laying on the floor

it was awesome
View Quote

Ham radio paradise.

Amateur radio will never be the same without Hara.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are a family run independent store not a big HRO type which I've been to in the past and wasn't as impressed in comparison. They have a pretty extensive stock of just about everything and a good used section too with all sorts of used antennas, radios and other stuff. They will make custom cables on the spot too. I'm biased because I've shopped there since 1993 so...
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are a family run independent store not a big HRO type which I've been to in the past and wasn't as impressed in comparison. They have a pretty extensive stock of just about everything and a good used section too with all sorts of used antennas, radios and other stuff. They will make custom cables on the spot too. I'm biased because I've shopped there since 1993 so...
View Quote

@mancow

that sounds great.

I have ordered from them before, but will stop by next time we visit KS

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I became licensed in early 2017 and a month later we were heading from MA (our home at the time) to ME for vacation, so I stopped at HRO in NH and bought some radios. I received a lot of good advice from Cal at that store. I've also bought from them at Near Fest and Boxboro (now HamXposition). I've only been to the store one other time, but will likely head there in the near future now that I live mere miles from their location and they are back allowing customers in the store. The NH store is rather small but jam-packed with gear. I've never been to any other store, so I can't compare it to anything else.
View Quote

Ah! A familiar "name" from gun-related email lists and forums. I didn't realize that you had escaped the people's republic. Another couple of years for me, I think. Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ah! A familiar "name" from gun-related email lists and forums. I didn't realize that you had escaped the people's republic. Another couple of years for me, I think. Congrats!
View Quote

Hi. Thank you. It's been a long haul getting out of MA and COVID delayed us for a year. Back on subject: It's also delayed my getting antennas up for an HF station. I'm a member of Nashua Area Radio Society, but they hunkered down due to COVID so I can't get the advice I need on antenna placement (in trees, no towers), etc. Hopefully by the Fall.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hi. Thank you. It's been a long haul getting out of MA and COVID delayed us for a year. Back on subject: It's also delayed my getting antennas up for an HF station. I'm a member of Nashua Area Radio Society, but they hunkered down due to COVID so I can't get the advice I need on antenna placement (in trees, no towers), etc. Hopefully by the Fall.
View Quote

In terms of brick and mortar, I have spoken with "Rich" at the NH HRO store and he seemed pretty well informed.

What kind of advice are you looking for? A lot of knowledgeable people here. I started this thread to ask questions prior to setting up my first (and so far only) antenna, that has a fair amount of info in it from the experienced guys.

I have only been a ham since March, so don't have much experience or knowledge to share, but I can tell you that I am having good results with a horizontal wire antenna strung up between 2 trees with a third tree holding up the center - all with ropes on pullies. Am using an MFJ-2012 (in stock at NH HRO) at about 60' up, that is good on 40, 20, 10, and 6. There is also a less expensive version if you're not running or don't plan to run higher wattage, the MFJ-2010.

These antennas are inexpensive enough that it isn't a nightmare if they don't work for you. Using mine and 100w, I have hit as far west as CA and as far east as Moscow, and I am not aggressive about pursuing DX contacts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In terms of brick and mortar, I have spoken with "Rich" at the NH HRO store and he seemed pretty well informed.

What kind of advice are you looking for? A lot of knowledgeable people here. I started this thread to ask questions prior to setting up my first (and so far only) antenna, that has a fair amount of info in it from the experienced guys.

I have only been a ham since March, so don't have much experience or knowledge to share, but I can tell you that I am having good results with a horizontal wire antenna strung up between 2 trees with a third tree holding up the center - all with ropes on pullies. Am using an MFJ-2012 (in stock at NH HRO) at about 60' up, that is good on 40, 20, 10, and 6. There is also a less expensive version if you're not running or don't plan to run higher wattage, the MFJ-2010.

These antennas are inexpensive enough that it isn't a nightmare if they don't work for you. Using mine and 100w, I have hit as far west as CA and as far east as Moscow, and I am not aggressive about pursuing DX contacts.
View Quote

Having "attended" (virtual & in-person) a few Ham Bootcamps, I know what antennas (Buckmaster DX-OCF 7 Band & Diamond X50A) I want. I have tons of trees (some not in the best shape) surrounding my house, I need someone with expertise eye-balling the tree situation to ID where to hang them and what needs to be trimmed back, etc. NARS president gave me the name of the tree company he uses and I'll have them hang pulleys and rope for me when they trim out the trees. I already had my electrician run ground rods around the house to the entry point and where I assume the balun will be located.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Having "attended" (virtual & in-person) a few Ham Bootcamps, I know what antennas (Buckmaster DX-OCF 7 Band & Diamond X50A) I want. I have tons of trees (some not in the best shape) surrounding my house, I need someone with expertise eye-balling the tree situation to ID where to hang them and what needs to be trimmed back, etc. NARS president gave me the name of the tree company he uses and I'll have them hang pulleys and rope for me when they trim out the trees. I already had my electrician run ground rods around the house to the entry point and where I assume the balun will be located.
View Quote

Moving my response to the Antenna thread here.

Let me know if you object to me duplicating your post in that thread, and I will delete it. I just think that you will get more people offering advice when the thread subject matches the discussion. I don't think as many folks are interested in which brick and mortar store is best, so won't be in here reading.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
If I want to go to a retail store R&L is my go to store.

Have bought radios from them, HRO and DX engineering online.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
They are opening a HRO about 25 min from my QTH.  I actually applied for, and was offered a job as their shipping coordinator, but declined it due to the low pay.  It’s in a nice building, hopefully will be nice inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top