Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2018 2:55:26 PM EDT
I'm swapping out the radio in my truck which is a two din model stock, and I'd like to put in a single din stereo and a single din UHF/VHF radio as well.  Bonus points if it can do CB as well, but I'm really looking for UHF/VHF.  I've tried internet searching off and on for awhile, but I've always come up short.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The US standard for a DIN radio is 6.83" x 2" (although the actual 180 mm width converts to something like 7-3/32" so most people use 7-1/8" to allow for clearance)
View Quote
sitting here in my shack and measured the following:

Kenwood TMV-71a
Alinco DR 135MkIII
TYT 8600

all were less than 2" tall and 7" wide

CB and UHF/VHF Ham Radios are different beast.

ETA: these rigs need to breathe and installing inside a dash with a heat generating head unit may not be the best idea.  Consider a detach-face dual-bander and mount the display in/on your blank.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
YaesuFT-7900
Yaesu FTM-100DR
Kenwood TMV71A

all have detachable displays that make it easy to mount in a DIN

mounting an entire radio in a DIN housing will quickly overheat it at 50watts

CB is mostly dead....thank God.

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
We used to put a lot of Motorola CDM series mobiles in DIN mount applications for things like airport shuttle buses. They worked fine but we are talking about radios that might be transmitting 60 seconds out of every 15 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top