Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/29/2020 9:05:06 PM EDT
So seeing new stories that stores will be running out of stuff made in China starting in April.

What kind of stuff are we talking about?  I imagine the cheap electronics that are on Amazon will be an item, but not sure what else.  Most everything is made in china, so most everything might be short?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Socks
Underwear
Kids school clothes for next year

Whatever Walmart sells not on the grocery side.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Reports coming in from Hawaii that toilet paper is first.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of electronics. LED bulbs are mostly made in China. Batteries, too. We should be okay for things like food and basic supply needs. As for medicines, it's anybody's guess.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about the supply line side but based on what I saw at Walmart, bleach and Lysol will be in short supply for a while.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reports coming in from Hawaii that toilet paper is first.
View Quote
Bought two bulk packs at Costco today, got that covered!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So something to be aware of is pre-mixed infant formula of the type we use for our son is in short supply.  It is not made in China, but in the USA.  We noticed earlier this week as my wife typically orders it a case at a time, but our regular supplier and the manufacturer's own website showed out of stock.  I picked up a few extra bottles at a walmart on my way back from a job, but you could tell the shelf had been raided.

All I can attribute it to is people stocking up ahead of time.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know about the supply line side but based on what I saw at Walmart, bleach and Lysol will be in short supply for a while.
View Quote
Lysol was all gone at my walmart yesterday. A couple cans of the offbrand were left.

The toilet paper aisle was a bit more bare than usual.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget Big Lots. I scored 4 big bottles of hand sanitizer today at one. There were about 20 left on the top shelf out of sight.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Many but not all medicines are made in China, and many of the components for medicines made in Packistan and other countries, including the US, are made in China.  I've had to change blood pressure pills twice because the Chinese ingredients were contaminated with carcinogens.

A lot of plumbing and electrical supplies found in Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes - may impact new home construction?  Want a new extension cord, LED light bulb, air hose or water hose - may have to wait awhile.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot will dry up. More than people realize. Food will be an issue. We ship a lot of meat to China to be processed and shipped back. 1/3 of the world's pork production is rotting in unplugged reefer containers in quarentined Chinese ports.

So many "components" of things come from China. A part of everything we use, eat and wear. Auto, Firearms, Agricultural, Clothing, Packaging... The list goes on. I am a Senior Supply Chain Associate for a large publicly traded company. We are seeing problems already. Pucker up fellas, this one is gonna hurt.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
GD told me not to panic

I'm confident the longer this shit lingers the more people will recognize 'our' dependency on China
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
GD told me not to panic

I'm confident the longer this shit lingers the more people will recognize 'our' dependency on China
View Quote
I imagine that would take a long time and most likely not happen.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#13]
All the toilet paper and batteries I looked at today were made in the USA

I tried to find things made in China that i used and may come in short supply.....I bought 200 straws, and ordered filament for my 3d printer.

I buy stuff from China, yeh, and I'm sure at some point I'll pout because I cant get something. But I didn't feel the need to stock up on cell phones and junk appliances.  Most of the things I use aren't Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Diet Coke.
Artificial sweeteners come from China.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#15]
In Hong Kong, toilet paper is gone.

I stocked up a few days ago at BJ’s with TP and Bounty. I have a few face masks, we have plenty of bottled water and food, ammo.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]
From my experience this weekend, it's going to get really bad in a month.

Walmart was out of bottled water, bleach and hand sanitizer.
Costco was out of chicken, ground beef and rice.
My girlfriend finally realized I'm not crazy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Stores around me in Texas Gulf Coast area are starting to look like people are prepping for a Hurricane as water, toilet paper, paper towels, and cleaning supplies are very low. Big difference is there are plenty of generators compared to a hurricane. Houston did have a main water line break last week that caused a lot of places to sell more bottle water than normal adding to the shortage. Sams today was out of Spam, their house brand canned chicken, and their house brand tuna.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Some other items I've seen people talking about to stock up on....

Contact solution
Eyeglasses screwdriver kit
Birth control/condoms
Things to do at home (board games, crossword puzzles, coloring books, etc)
Lighters
Charcoal/propane
Food for your pets
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of my regular use items/ preps are good but I am thinking this is going to be a lingering long term thing so I am going to wally world tomorrow and grab the following:

Batteries: AA, AAA, D - (used in my LED lantern)
Few things of peanut butter
extra crackers
rice sides
pasta sides
some extra small propane cylinders
some pain killer and fever reducing meds.  Maybe some cold and flu stuff.
extra TP and paper towels
some cheap DVDs if there are any movies I like.
few extra power plug to usb

Already gassed up.  I other then some blips, I don't think we are in for it just yet.  I am guessing two months before we are hit hard, if at all.  Supply chain disruption is a given.  Steady as we go & be safe out there!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#20]
It appears like all the generic OTC drugs are selling out, with national brands not far off I'm sure.  The one thing I do bbn it understand is the stocking up on bottled water.  I don't think coronavirus is going to infect the water supply
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Went to target today because I had an unused $50 gift card from Xmas so I used that to add a few small consumables to the preps.  They are things we already we have plenty of on hand but figured it wouldn't hurt to add a bit extra while its still easy to get.  Other than no hand sanitizer and a few various cold/ flu meds there was plenty of everything on the shelves of target in my AO.

Pic for fun:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#22]
our local(south of seattle 45mins, in a small town) Costco was out of TP(Lysol and the like) by 10:15am today(from what I hear)

I was there last thursday at 9:45am(same time I always go) and besides xmas never seen so many people that early........I got the last of the Snack Packs.....[img]/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img

Quoted:
In Hong Kong, toilet paper is gone.

I stocked up a few days ago at BJ’s with TP and Bounty. I have a few face masks, we have plenty of bottled water and food, ammo.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Stopped by Sams today to get stuff we needed.  They had plenty of TP in stock but it was lower than in times past.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#24]
The origin of a product ( USA-China) doesn't really matter.  Once the shortages from one source sets in, items from another source will become scarce also as the limited available supply will not keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have a link on hand sanitizer?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Not worried, but as an "elderly" person, I am at serious risk.

Am "self-isolating", as they say.  YMMV

Prior preps are becoming worthwhile.

Suggest buying Unscented, basic bleach.

No sweat--I hope!
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't forget the knock-on effects when more than a trivial amount of a certain good are from China or using Chinese components, packaging, etc.

Your...   example, laundry detergent may be made in the US.   But the raw plastic used to blow the jugs for 2/3 of brands may come from China, 1/3 of the brands in your local store are imported from Taiwan, etc.

Also substitution effects.   If paper towels are short, people may hit up dish towels.

-

Auto stuff.   Consider the routine maint. items that you expect to go through in the next 2 years.   Stuff scheduled for replacement.  You normally buy nice US made stuff... guess what, now so do all the people that used to get Chinese parts, filters, belts, etc.

Batteries could be huge for unexpected effects.   Metals, components, PCB's for protected circuits.    Chargers.

Solar anything.

It's not just China, India just implemented export restrictions on certain medications.   Acetominophen and anything containing it is on the list.

Just go down the list:

- What do you normally need and consume
- List out various things going sideways.  What are the odds of each, what do you need, what of that do you lack, and what are the consequences of lacking them.

What you need to do should stand out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#28]
The only thing left in the cleaning aisle at walmart was bleach....lol.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#29]
No hand sanitizer anywhere around here.

You can make your own with 70-90% isopropyl alcohol and aloe vera gel, which are relatively easy to find, in a 2 parts to 1 ratio.

Soon these will be gone, too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It appears like all the generic OTC drugs are selling out, with national brands not far off I'm sure.  The one thing I do bbn it understand is the stocking up on bottled water.  I don't think coronavirus is going to infect the water supply
View Quote
I think it's a combination of:
- it's pretty much the first thing that instinctively comes to mind when people think "prepare"
- it's cheap and easy to do
- it's the one thing you really, really don't want to be out of, ever

I've got a half-pallet of bottled water and I'm on a well.    (water lines can freeze, etc.)

What *I* don't understand is why everybody doesn't maintain a small stockpile in the corner of a closet or garage somewhere all the time, instead of running to the store at the last minute before every upcoming emergency.  Same mentality as those folks who buy a generator before a storm, then return it as soon as the sun comes out, I guess.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#31]
A lot of paper products come from China.

That could have an impact mattering how much boxes, wrapings, sleeves and such come from there.

IE- Kelloggs made in US but where do their boxes, plastic bags, and glue come from?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#32]
The 1lb propane cylinders in the camping section is a good grab while the sheep are buying TP and water

Can cook with it,heat,light,etc.At some point it will be hit hard
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Whatever the news overlords tell the lemming society to "have on hand".
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#34]
CR123a batteries for lights and optics.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The 1lb propane cylinders in the camping section is a good grab while the sheep are buying TP and water

View Quote
Its a good idea to grab one of those $20 adapters so you can refill these 1# tanks from the bigger 20# ones.  I makes zero sense to throw these things away when you can refil them on the cheap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I say its time to stock up on Stocks.  You know what they say, buy low / sell high.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Its a good idea to grab one of those $20 adapters so you can refill these 1# tanks from the bigger 20# ones.  I makes zero sense to throw these things away when you can refil them on the cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
It also makes sense to buy a 20lb to 1lb conversion hose so you can just run your propane devices straight from a large tank
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#38]
For anyone saying batteries, if you're using standard types of cells (AA, etc) and you're not using Eneloops and a charger already: get with the program.

2032s and 123s etc are understandable as there's no common rechargable equivalent. (Even there, it's an argument for alternate equipment, e.g. rechargable 18650 lights or whatever.)

Sadly even my little grocery store in my small town that was seemingly unaffected by the hoarding nonsense now has a bare shelf where bleach and santizers are. I'm about 90% sure that was done by people grabbing stock to resell as that's happened before when folks roll in from the city looking for the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Walmarts was sold out of cheap dish soap, getting low on the cheap bleach, still plenty of name brand.

Feed stores are running out of whole corn.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Local stores are pretty much out of any TP that isn’t Charmin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I just hopped into our local Family Dollar and got most of the items mentioned in this thread. Shelves were FULL of all I needed. We already have a large stash of "stuff" and have had for a long time. Probably $2-3000 worth of consumables. We add as we use generally speaking and now we are just adding a few things that we hadn't thought of. Eyeglass repair kits was on my list along with some other things you guys reminded me of.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grabbed one from Cabelas last year.

Great little tool to have
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't forget shoes and boots. Most are made in China or South East Asia. Even those made in the US have components made there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#44]
China can't afford to have a long term shutdown of factories.

If you look in the news they are showing hospitals that are empty of patients and are planning to shut said hospitals down

IMHO. This is a get back to work move. The Chicoms will get the factories up and running if they have to do it at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
China can't afford to have a long term shutdown of factories.

If you look in the news they are showing hospitals that are empty of patients and are planning to shut said hospitals down

IMHO. This is a get back to work move. The Chicoms will get the factories up and running if they have to do it at gunpoint.
View Quote
This an interesting topic.  Red China is in a bit of a bind, because it is the epicenter of the virus, and many Chinese subjects seem reluctant to go back into the factories.  Not sure if it is possible for even the Chicoms, to compel workers, at gunpoint, back into the factories.  Red China, so far, has been able to contain the virus because of stringent quarantine measures.  All that will go overboard when, and if, Chicom workers are compelled to go back to the factories, where they run increased risk of being exposed to the virus.

Red China is truly between a rock and a hard place.

Red China desperately needs foreign funds in payment for their products.  If such funds are not forthcoming, the Chicom economy comes to a halt.  The collapse of the ChiCom economy is something to consider, as well as the Chicom Gov't.

"Interesting times" as the old Chinese saying goes.

Of course, and to keep things in context, the usual Flu kills a considerable number of people in the US, per year:  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

So get your Flu shot, get your Pneumonia shot, and whatever other shots seem needful.  Keep your other inoculations up-to-date, and avoid crowds.  Wash your hands often.  Stay away from crowds, and avoid touching other people.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not worried, but as an "elderly" person, I am at serious risk.

Am "self-isolating", as they say.  YMMV

Prior preps are becoming worthwhile.

Suggest buying Unscented, basic bleach.

No sweat--I hope!
View Quote
Ha.
Us pre preppers..are all " elderly " it seems lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ha.
Us pre preppers..are all " elderly " it seems lol
View Quote
Yeah. The people that didn't prep are dead--or likely to be dead, due to their ignorance.  Never got a chance to get old.  Not surprising, all things considered.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So seeing new stories that stores will be running out of stuff made in China starting in April.

What kind of stuff are we talking about?  I imagine the cheap electronics that are on Amazon will be an item, but not sure what else.  Most everything is made in china, so most everything might be short?
View Quote
That repop-ed Chi-Com shit you find on gun show tables these days will, mercifully, be completely absent (best case) or be in short supply (worst case).

Gun-related stuff aside, the biggest corporate suffers will be Walmart, Harbor Freight, and Dollar Stores.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That repop-ed Chi-Com shit you find on gun show tables these days will, mercifully, be completely absent (best case) or be in short supply (worst case).

Gun-related stuff aside, the biggest corporate suffers will be Walmart, Harbor Freight, and Dollar Stores.
View Quote
You have not begun to list the possibilities.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top