Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 3:56:17 PM EDT
I own a Kubota B3200 and Kubota RTV 1100 both bought this year, used, in good shape and low hours.  The 3200 has a FEL but doesn't have a QA at this point [but I plan on retro-fitting one next spring].

I am putting in a drive that will be 1/4 mile long, gravel.  It is up a hill, average steady incline for about half the distance.  It is through a field so plenty of space to push snow to the side.

I'd like to use one or the other piece of equipment I already own to move the occasional snow fall.  According to research 5" snow falls don't occur every year and 10" or more are exceptional, happening about every 10 years.  Google presents:  Avg. snowfall in St Louis

Days    InchesCenti­metres
4.7January5.614.2
3.4February4.310.9
1.7March2.35.8
0.3April0.41.0
0.7November0.71.8
3.7December4.411.2
14.5Year

I'm thinking that a snow plow on the front of one or the other should be sufficient 99% of the time and I can just deal with the 1% on that rare occasion.  This is a weekend and hunting place.  I own a business so if I get snowed up there for a day or two it isn't the end of the world, I can rearrange my schedule.

My Questions:

Is my thinking sound?

Is a snow plow the most practical, simple, frugal solution or is there a better attachment solution?

Which would be better to use as snow removal equipment, the utv or the tractor?

Since this is all new to me, what don't I know I don't know?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I suspect you have a bucket on your 3200?
Just use that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Snow plow on the RTV is the most reasonable solution given the constraints you expressed above.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I used my BX25 to take care of a 12” dump one time, just took a while. All I had was a FEL and box blade.

I’d say just get a rear blade, 5” of snow is nothing and you can drag it to where you want with the blade then stack it with the FEL as needed. I’d look for a 6’ blade on CL in my AO you can find one for $2-300 in usable shape.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used my BX25 to take care of a 12” dump one time, just took a while. All I had was a FEL and box blade.

I’d say just get a rear blade, 5” of snow is nothing and you can drag it to where you want with the blade then stack it with the FEL as needed. I’d look for a 6’ blade on CL in my AO you can find one for $2-300 in usable shape.
View Quote
So a rear blade would be better than using the FEL as another suggested above?

Between a snow blade on front or a rear blade on back, which would function better?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry for the garbled table of average snow falls by month.

It didn't look like that in drafts....

Bottom line is about 17" a year and, on average, no more than 5" in any month.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Rear blade on the back. You angle it and move the snow to the side. When you have a big pile to move, use the loader.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So a rear blade would be better than using the FEL as another suggested above?

Between a snow blade on front or a rear blade on back, which would function better?

Thanks
View Quote
The FEL arms are not made for pushing or digging, they are made to lift things up and down. When you plow you put a lot of lateral stress on the FEL arms and you can prematurely wear them down or just bend them. It wouldn’t be my first choice to use the FEL, probably says the same in your owners manual.

As far as which would function better that’s hard to say. Front mounted is probably going to be easier to use but rear mounted will probably move a lot more material easier.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
FEL will do it but will take awhile.  Third point snow blower is a better option if you don't mind spending the money.  Front mounted snow blower is an even better option if your B3200 will support it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I suspect you have a bucket on your 3200?
Just use that.
View Quote
snow removal with a FEL sucks bigly, and is really hard on the tractor/FEL as well since there are no springs like a proper snowplow has.

see
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Clearing-heavy-snow-from-500-driveway/19-693247/#i11864055
and
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Snow_Removal___Compact_vs_Subcompact__Kubota__Deere__Massey/19-678123/#i11596108

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
There's an area on my road that I have very limited room to push snow...it's a road in-between two fields about 2 feet deep. The wind blows and fills it up with snow. I normally use my bucket to push the snow into a big pile. I "curl" the bucket up a bit so as not to bite into the gravel. The back of the bucket rides on the snow/gravel. I take my time. If it's just a few inches of snow or it's suppose to warm up the next day, I don't bother with it. I also have a 7' front blade I use sometimes. If the ground isn't froze it's hard to do a good job plowing. You get more gravel than snow if you're not careful. I take a little at a time and I don't plow down to the gravel unless it's in an area where I need traction. It's hard on your neck if you have to drive backwards to plow/push snow a lot. A four-wheeler or utv is good for smaller snows. A front mounted blade will push you if the snow is heavy or if you're messing with drifts, if you have limited space (or a drop-off) you have to be careful. Rear chains with filled tires helps as does 4 wheel drive. Some cut a slot into a piece of plastic pipe and put it on their front blade to keep it from digging into the gravel/dirt...usually the center of the road is always higher since you're not driving on it, so you usually can't get all the snow off unless you plow away a bunch of gravel. My experience for what it's worth. Also, many of the front mounted plows are spring loaded, so you have a margin of error if you hit something. Know your road and take your time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top