Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2018 2:52:12 PM EDT
I know that Quikclot used to be the "in product" for stopping traumatic blood loss. Is it still a good product or are there other products out there that are better?

I am a former LEO and hooking up a small department of 12-14 officers with trauma kits. The kit I have settled on has gauze, a tourniquet and a few other things that are vacuum sealed and fit in a BDU pocket or small pouch but, nothing to help with traumatic blood loss. I am trying to keep this affordable since I am paying for it and I will need 12-14 of whatever I get.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't know anything when it comes to these kinds of products.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The preferred IFAK component is "combat gauze"; gauze (which you'll probably need anyway) that has been impregnated with the clotting agent.

While the packaging is a bit cumbersome, it can be folded around the gauze itself to about 1"x2"x0.5".

Our medics make sealed "pocket IFAKs" for us as well.  Great idea; everyone knows everyone else has the basics in their * pocket.

Throw in at least one (preferably 2) CAT or equivalent and that should do it.

* = as per SOP.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Personal preference here is Celox gauze.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Israeli bandage if you don't have anything else to hold the gauze in place
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Combat Gauze is still the standard. Celox Gauze and Chito Gauze are just as effective in studies. Celox Rapid looks good but not a lot of studies for it. X-Stat just had a third party study showing fantastic results, but it is still Rx only and quite expensive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys. It gives me some things to look at that I did not have before.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Combat gauze. Celox gauze is GTG too. You can read my prior posts if your interested in my background and rationale.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quikclot is a gauze or bandage that is infused with kaolin clay.  There have been numerous studies involving the differences between using bandages with and without kaolin clay, and it turns out the kaolin clay bandages work significantly faster to help blood clot and stop bleeding.

You may want to know how to clot blood quickly in case you don't have emergency supplies on hand! Here's how!
Remedies to Stop Bleeding: Use Kaolin Clay, Cayenne Pepper, and/or Yarrow

1)  Kaolin Clay:

Kaolin Clay is a commonly used clay that comes from China.  It is used in the cosmetic industry as well as helping to detoxify the body.  It turns out that Kaolin Clay contains a substance that causes one of the clotting factors to occur quickly.  Applying it to a wound or onto the bandage you use on the wound helps clotting occur more quickly.

2) Cayenne Pepper:

Cayenne Pepper has long been touted as an amazing medicinal herb that no household should be without.  Cayenne Pepper does all kinds of things to help the body, and it also can help stop bleeding quickly.  Cayenne Pepper has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties as well, so it can actually  help disinfect a wound.  Various sources note that the use of Cayenne Pepper can stop bleeding within about 15 seconds.  This is because of the styptic found in this pepper.

For heavy bleeding, you should drink an 8 ounce glass of water with about 1/2 tsp. of Cayenne Pepper mixed in.  This helps to regulate blood pressure, decreasing the pressure at the wound site.

You can also use a tincture of Cayenne Pepper to drop or dab onto the wound site.

Doesn't putting Cayenne Pepper into a wound hurt?

We all know how hot Cayenne Pepper is.  Placing Cayenne Pepper in a bleeding wound does not hurt all that much as the bleeding stops.   I have personally tried this and it is no worse than my mother pouring Iodinem Macureachrome or Matholite tinctures into my childhood wounds.  Frankly, if Cayenne Pepper can help stop bleeding, and I am looking at a heavily bleeding wound, the pain is probably not going to matter too much, because there will already be quite a bit of pain and you're already worrying about bleeding to death, a bit of stinging and burning doesn't matter.

3) Yarrow:

Yarrow is a common herb that grows wild all over the country.   Known as the Battlefield Plant, it was (and l bet it still may be) used on battlefields to help stop bleeding.  It was definitely used during the Civil War, where it got its nickname.

Yarrow is a known hemostatic herb, which means it contains compounds that help stop bleeding and speed the clotting process.  You can use the leaves as a poultice---just mash them first.  Or, if you have powdered Yarrow or can powder some dried yarrow quickly, combine with the above powders.   If all you have is fresh Yarrow, that will work fine! grate it and pack it into the bleeder.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I've gone to Celox!

The reason being is that there are tests to support the theory that the Chitosan (from shellfish) may be more effective to stop bleeding in those who may be taking "blood thinners."

If you think about it, in the military, most times the Quick Clot would be used on young, otherwise healthy and well conditioned troops who are not afflicted by extensive pre-existing medical problems or on blood thinners. Whereas the LEO may very well encounter civilians or other LEO's who are!

Just something to consider OP. I'd talk with your local EMS director and see what is recommended and stocked by the medics and approved by the medical director.

Prayers sent that none of the kits will need to be used my friend!
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The reason being is that there are tests to support the theory that the Chitosan (from shellfish) may be more effective to stop bleeding in those who may be taking "blood thinners."

If you think about it, in the military, most times the Quick Clot would be used on young, otherwise healthy and well conditioned troops who are not afflicted by extensive pre-existing medical problems or on blood thinners. Whereas the LEO may very well encounter civilians or other LEO's who are!

Just something to consider OP. I'd talk with your local EMS director and see what is recommended and stocked by the medics and approved by the medical director.

View Quote
That is interesting, i did not know that it is derived from shellfish. I have a deathly allergic reaction to shellfish, I am not sure how that would work if any of the LEO's have the same allergy.
I had not considered consulting my local EMS. I have a friend that used to do EMS work, i can check with her to see if she has any contacts for me.

All of the replies here have been very helpful, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
No worries about shell fish. They have studied it and its GTG!  (Paramedic, TCCC, TECC, instructor)
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No worries about shell fish. They have studied it and its GTG!  (Paramedic, TCCC, TECC, instructor)
View Quote
Thank you very much. The last thing i want to do is give a LEO a product that will kill him/her in a critical situation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Israeli bandage if you don't have anything else to hold the gauze in place
View Quote
OLAES bandage is much better. Does everything the Israeli can and more. Much more versatile option in practically the same form factor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
This!
As Civi Police they will not encounter only in shape young males in good health, they will run into every shit case the world has to offer.

I have been switching all the kits over to celox rapid as well.
Another upside is it takes one minute of pressure compared to three of the C/G. By the time you are done packing rapid and pressure dress it, you can move on, no holding pressure for another two minutes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I would model it off one of the Dark Angel Medical kits, if possible.
Generally, you would want a hemostatic gauze, compression bandage, tourniquet, chest seal, gloves, and an NPA. (assuming the people are trained to use all of that)  A CPR mask might be good too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Since this is coming out of my pocket and I am on limited funds, I found a kit I can afford that has a tourniquet, a rapid clotting agent(not quickclot) and bandages. The department can upgrade the kits as they can, I figure this is better then nothing at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Personal preference here is Celox gauze.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would model it off one of the Dark Angel Medical kits, if possible.
Generally, you would want a hemostatic gauze, compression bandage, tourniquet, chest seal, gloves, and an NPA. (assuming the people are trained to use all of that)  A CPR mask might be good too.
View Quote
Came to post this
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone heard negative feedback from trauma teams regarding the use of clotting agents in the field, in that it complicates wound care later?

I saw a post years ago that these agents can be a mess to clean up, and there were complaints that they were being used for non-life threatening hemorrhage, or bleeding better addressed with direct or vascular compression alone.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard negative feedback from trauma teams regarding the use of clotting agents in the field, in that it complicates wound care later?

I saw a post years ago that these agents can be a mess to clean up, and there were complaints that they were being used for non-life threatening hemorrhage, or bleeding better addressed with direct or vascular compression alone.
View Quote
IIRC it was the powder type early versions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
stay away from the pouches of quick clot.  IB and qc gauze are the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#21]
LEO medic, use Celox Z-fold gauze.  Works good without burning.  Used it on myself the other week and I had bleeding controlled within 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Puffball mushrooms were used by the Indians. I've never tried them for that (hemostat), but I've eaten lots of them (fried in butter or oil).

https://ethnobiology.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/JoE/3-1/Burk1983.pdf
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:21:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top