Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 2:32:29 PM EDT
For the first time in a few weeks QRZ's Solar-Terrestrial Data is showing "Good" for 80-40 meters tonight and "Fair" for 20-80 during the day.  MUF is at 15.92 mHz in Boulder, CO and the geomagnetic field is "Quiet" instead of the "Unsettled" I've seen almost every day recently.  If you're playing with your radio tonight keep your ears open for odd callsigns on the lower bands since there may be some sprinkled around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been on the air for 3 weeks. Since that time my 40/20/10 has been terrible on 10m with lots of static and no signals. On a whim, I went to check my noise level and to my surprise the 10m band was quiet with lots of signals for the first time ever!  Called CQ and immediately made a contact with Melbourne, FL on my first call. Maybe the tide is changing for 10m!  Hopefully the net is clear tonight!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve been on the air for 3 weeks. Since that time my 40/20/10 has been terrible on 10m with lots of static and no signals. On a whim, I went to check my noise level and to my surprise the 10m band was quiet with lots of signals for the first time ever!  Called CQ and immediately made a contact with Melbourne, FL on my first call. Maybe the tide is changing for 10m!  Hopefully the net is clear tonight!
View Quote

10 has been pretty open the last few days, at least through the middle of the day. I've heard the Falklands through Sweden on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

10 has been pretty open the last few days, at least through the middle of the day. I've heard the Falklands through Sweden on it.
View Quote

Roger that. Over the weekend it was South America today it was North America on 10 meter. Made lots of contacts to the east and north from the Gulf Coast. 10 was very busy today. Hope it hangs in there for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I have worked and confirmed 100 DXCC entities since January 1st. I believe 2021 is going to be a much better year for DX than last year.  

As you can see most of my contacts have been digital since 2017 as the result of FT8, but thankfully things are improving.

For me 10m and 12m were hopping this morning and I made quite of few Stateside contacts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have worked and confirmed 100 DXCC entities since January 1st. I believe 2021 is going to be a much better year for DX than last year.  

As you can see most of my contacts have been digital since 2017 as the result of FT8, but thankfully things are improving.

For me 10m and 12m were hopping this morning and I made quite of few Stateside contacts.
View Quote

About the same for me.  A few more and I only got back on the air in February.  Most of mine are digital as well since it's easier than running up and down the band looking for things.  FT8 is getting crowded though so I'm about ready to start hunting up and down the band again.  Luckily if I'm not running digital I'm normally on CW so the band is smaller ;)

Edit ... 40m FT8 is hopping right now (0250Z).  I see several callsigns from Europe (Italy, Greece, Romania, Croatia, Euro Russia, Finland), I see one from Turkey, one from South Africa, several from South America and the Caribbean.  The waterfall is packed from one side to the other.  There are even several stations on FT4 which is unusual for this time of day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Local guys were talking about 6 and 10m contacts tonight. Said things were pretty open and they were making contacts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/Dxcc_png-1912609.JPG

View Quote

But...But...that says Data.  Everyone knows that doesnt count...
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I just... well... I spent basically most of the 90s, and from there until just a few years ago either making small software tools, or tweaking software, or managing software development and deployment, or documenting software. This meant I was basically doing "high tech computer sh*t" all the time, every day, in my work life. I was never really a lover of computers. Not a fan, but it paid the bills. Oh sure, I like what you can DO with them, but the computers themselves don't interest me at all. So, as I feel my way around as I get started in my new hobby of ham radio, doing computer stuff is simply not even remotely appealing to me. It is shaped far too much like what I used to do for work for me to ever enjoy it.

"Phone" is where it's at for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But...But...that says Data.  Everyone knows that doesnt count...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I have 267 confirmed on CW since 2010....but sadly unless there is a DXpedition or a rare entity OTA, I haven't worked much CW since 2017. Hopefully Cycle 25 will change that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/DXCC_jpg-1914197.JPG

I have 267 confirmed on CW since 2010....but sadly unless there is a DXpedition or a rare entity OTA, I haven't worked much CW since 2017. Hopefully Cycle 25 will change that.
View Quote

I was just messing around.  I'd love to be able to do digital.  I'm just to dumb to be able to figure it out.  Seriously..I have tried on and off for 15 years.  Finally go frustrated enough that I sold my signalink and other stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Today was a good day. I worked Italy and Louisiana for the first time, plus Florida again. 100W and MFJ cobweb on 20m.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just... well... I spent basically most of the 90s, and from there until just a few years ago either making small software tools, or tweaking software, or managing software development and deployment, or documenting software. This meant I was basically doing "high tech computer sh*t" all the time, every day, in my work life. I was never really a lover of computers. Not a fan, but it paid the bills. Oh sure, I like what you can DO with them, but the computers themselves don't interest me at all. So, as I feel my way around as I get started in my new hobby of ham radio, doing computer stuff is simply not even remotely appealing to me. It is shaped far too much like what I used to do for work for me to ever enjoy it.

View Quote

You are not alone. I've spent 20+ years working with industrial automation, industrial networks, programming PLCs and interfaces. I have zero interest in having any automation in my house and ham shack.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are not alone. I've spent 20+ years working with industrial automation, industrial networks, programming PLCs and interfaces. I have zero interest in having any automation in my house and ham shack.
View Quote

I’m with you guys. My only computer is a 9 year old laptop that sits in my safe until I need to print something.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird how that works.

I have been flying professionally my entire adult life since 1983, first in the .mil and then in the airlines.

When I have vacation, the very last thing I want to do is go to an airport and sit in an airplane even though it is free to fly, or even sleep in a hotel. I hate it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Weird how that works.

I have been flying professionally my entire adult life since 1983, first in the .mil and then in the airlines.

When I have vacation, the very last thing I want to do is go to an airport and sit in an airplane even though it is free to fly, or even sleep in a hotel. I hate it.
View Quote

Kinda the same here.  I have been licensed for 60 years, from age 12.  I was hot on ham radio through high school, then I went to college to study EE I kinda slacked off, too busy, I guess.  Then in 1970 went into the Army as a Signal Officer.  I spent the next 40 years (active duty and as a Dept of the Army Civilian engineer) doing commo, intel work, EW, ECM/ECCM and weapons system RDT&E.  My interest in ham radio waxed and waned.  I almost always had a mobile rig of some type in my vehicle, but not at home.  In the late 80's I was all hot on satellite work and the then new packet stuff.  Did a lot of DX during that sunspot peak.  Then interest waned again until I retired in 2010.  Now I'm back in the game!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Weird how that works.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird how that works.

I totally get that.....I worked fish and game for 25 years.  The last thing I want to do is go sit in a boat on my day off fishing.   Maybe in a few years after I retire (which is damn soon and could have gone a couple months ago)
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I can relate, I spent many years as a bench tech, during that time I did little electronic kit/ project building.
Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top