Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2021 1:16:09 AM EDT
I put together my stove today because my son wants to take it on a camping trip. When I pumped it up turned the gas on the fuel began filling that small dish at the bottom of the stove.

Can anyone help me find out what the problem is? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it is working fine.
  The Whisperlite needs to be pre heated, to vaporize the fuel.
  Turn it on for just a second, allowing a little fuel to fill the pan. Light this, which will pre heat the coil of the stove, and then, slowly re open the valve.
  An easier way, is to use a small squirt bottle and pour a little fuel in the pan from that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
  Turn it on for just a second, allowing a little fuel to fill the pan. Light this, which will pre heat the coil of the stove, and then, slowly re open the valve.
  An easier way, is to use a small squirt bottle and pour a little fuel in the pan from that.
View Quote

Problem was that a fire started and they whole stove was up in flames.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That really is sort of normal. A product of a little too much fuel in the cup.
 I just turn mine on for a second, then turn it completly off.
   The squeeze bottle method is the way to go. The valve opening method tends to allow too much fuel in the cup, no matter how quickly you turn it off.
   The flames will eventually begin to die down, which is when you want to, very slowly, begin to open the valve back up.
  The gas should be vaporized at that point and to stove will begin to work as needed.
  When the stove flames up, as it did in your case. I will generally grab it by the fuel tank, and tip it on its side, to God rid of the excess fuel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why you make sure son knows to never use it inside the tent.

It sounds like you released too much gas into the bowl.  You can also use fire paste.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
MSR sells rebuild kits.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what it's supposed to do.  Just don't overfill the priming pan.

The metal fuel tube needs to be heated in order to vaporize the fuel for normal stove operation.  To this end, you prime it by allowing for a small amount of fuel to enter the priming dish, light the dish, warm the fuel feed tube, let the fire extinguish, then open the fuel valve an hopefully hear vapor movement and light it for normal operation.  The soot that accumulates during the incomplete combustion during priming is just a bonus feature.  Setting fire to everything around you in the priming process?  Super bonus mega unlock.

You can see my hanging Whisperlite rig hanging from the straps of my portaledge in the first photo.  Even if you manage to avoid death by flame, you still have a big pot of boiling water precariously suspended above your lap.

It's a good thing nylon is flame proof.  Oh.  Wait.

As problematic as they are in comparison to isobutane canister stoves, Whisperlite-type stoves are the most efficient thing going for long periods in cold weather, especially if melting snow for water.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]
tayous1

As others have said, that is totally normal operation. I use a little plastic squirt bottle full of denatured alcohol for priming. The Al does not leave any soot on the stove.

Priming the stove.....

BTW - the whisperlight is my carry 90% of the time. I bought my first one back in the 80's and never looked back. It has never failed me. I had one of the old gray pumps ears break off but still finished the trip no problem cooking every day.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also don't have your head directly over it when you light it
View Quote
Oh, this is very crucial information.  Very.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing says camp out like a whisper lite engulfed in flames.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s fine and is as designed. The heat pressurizes the tube.  Once the flame burns for a bit you light the stove and prep that mountain house.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My old Svea 123 sounded like an F-16 in afterburner past warming phase.

My cadets watched me on an exercise trying to make coffee when it went critical during warm-up.  I guess the O-rings were just too damn old.  Made for some entertainment.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My old Svea 123 sounded like an F-16 in afterburner past warming phase.

My cadets watched me on an exercise trying to make coffee when it went critical during warm-up.  I guess the O-rings were just too damn old.  Made for some entertainment.  
View Quote

I have a bit of a stove collection.  There are several Sveas on my shelf.  That's a cool little stove.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#14]
yep nothing wrong with it and the 4 alarm blaze didn't hurt it at all.

When you are able to light the cup, have a little fire for a minute or so and then turn the gas back on and get the blue flame to cook without having to relight it or create another flash fire is when you have mastered the whisperlite

have fun camping, you have IMO one of the best stoves on the market. I have had mine for somewhere around 30 years or more. Get a rebuild kit for the stove and for the pump so you can fix it in the field when required. If it is brand new, you can probably wait a few years before you need it, but get them anyway just in case.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, squirt or pour a teaspoon of fuel into the dish, light it, and let it cook off. When the flame's out, reopen the valve and light the stove. You should have a blue flame.

Great stove, mine's been burning without a hitch for eight years now, on Coleman white gas.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My old hiking buddy ran unleaded gasoline in his, it worked OK but IIRC it caused the jets or something to clog, or wear. I always just sprung the few extra bucks for coleman fuel.

Last year I saw a dude running his on kerosene, and pre heating it with kerosene. Everything about that stove was completely black, and anything it touched turned black. 0/10 do not recommend unless it's your only option.
View Quote

The international version comes with 2 different jets, one for white gas, the other for kerosene. I have the international version but have never used kerosene in it, but yeah, I would expect it to be more sooty I would expect it to be much worse if the gas jet is used due to incomplete combustion of the kerosene.

Was that dude using the kerosene jet?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I made this a few years back for a FB backpacking group.. seems appropriate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I made this a few years back for a FB backpacking group.. seems appropriate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/70224489_10220619751148821_7605807672947-1902325.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember being in awe of the Whisperlite inferno after dicking around with finicky Peak 1's for years.

I use my Pocket Rocket 95% of the time, but my Whisperlite's always ready to roll. I also miss those Peak 1's.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I remember being in awe of the Whisperlite inferno after dicking around with finicky Peak 1's for years.

I use my Pocket Rocket 95% of the time, but my Whisperlite's always ready to roll. I also miss those Peak 1's.
View Quote

I still have and like my Peak 1 Apex. Bought it in the late 90s. It’s getting to where it’s going to need some replacement parts and they are all but impossible to find. I went to see about buying a few new ones and they are no longer made. I was sad. So I got 3 Coleman 553 stoves (one in each ATV and RZR) and I like them but would still prefer the Peak 1 Apex.

That said, as I get older I like light weight....so I use a Pocket Rocket for backpacking.

I’ll have a Wrangler in a year or so for “over landing” and I’ll probably bring a couple 553 stoves for cooking. They are smaller and lighter than propane stoves. That said, Jetboil makes a really neat and high quality two burner folding propane stove but the price is steep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks! I have not used this stove since 2015 so I was not sure if something was wrong or as you all stated I forgot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a normal whisperlite. I have a video on one of the 3-4 that I have.

Great stove for boiling water. Actual cooking not so much.

Make sure your using the correct fuel and orifice.

Video.
MSR International Whisperlite Stove
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I still have and like my Peak 1 Apex. Bought it in the late 90s. It’s getting to where it’s going to need some replacement parts and they are all but impossible to find. I went to see about buying a few new ones and they are no longer made. I was sad. So I got 3 Coleman 553 stoves (one in each ATV and RZR) and I like them but would still prefer the Peak 1 Apex.

That said, as I get older I like light weight....so I use a Pocket Rocket for backpacking.

I’ll have a Wrangler in a year or so for “over landing” and I’ll probably bring a couple 553 stoves for cooking. They are smaller and lighter than propane stoves. That said, Jetboil makes a really neat and high quality two burner folding propane stove but the price is steep.
View Quote

The peak 1s are my favorite single burner white gas stove. I have 2 of them.

Video on it .
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The peak 1s are my favorite single burner white gas stove. I have 2 of them.

Video on it .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Dk6bVwlPU
View Quote

I used the Peak 1 stoves in the military. The one I own is the Peak 1 Apex which is the same top/burner as the Peak 1 but with a detachable fuel bottle like the Whisperlite. I did like the Peak 1 stoves we were issued and I would have bought them instead of the 533 if they were available new.  The 533 is a tank but I think the Peak 1 was a better stove.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sounds like a normal whisperlite. I have a video on one of the 3-4 that I have.

Great stove for boiling water. Actual cooking not so much.

Make sure your using the correct fuel and orifice.

Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ZQecaGK_g
View Quote

It works much better if you have just a small flame and as it goes out or letting it go out, turn the gas on and then lite the burner. uses a lot less gas.

When i was solo minimalist backpacking, if I took a stove it was with very little fuel and a small flame for about 10 secs was enough to gasify the liquid gas and make a blue flame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I had the Peak 1 ( still have it ) before it was called the Peak 1, good stove, but I prefer the separate bottle like the Whisperlite has. easier to change bottles than wait for the stove to cool down to fill  the tank and above tree line in the wind, the wind screen around the Whisperlite works well
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It works much better if you have just a small flame and as it goes out or letting it go out, turn the gas on and then lite the burner. uses a lot less gas.

When i was solo minimalist backpacking, if I took a stove it was with very little fuel and a small flame for about 10 secs was enough to gasify the liquid gas and make a blue flame.
View Quote

I usually use a small bottle of heet to preheat mine. Burns clean , hot and doesn’t soot up. In the video you can see the bottle in the grass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Despite the whole priming thing with white gas stoves, there is nothing better in cold weather camping.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Despite the whole priming thing with white gas stoves, there is nothing better in cold weather camping.
View Quote

yep, when I was doing a lot of winter backpacking and mountaineering, I usually only brought it in the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top