Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2018 10:44:02 AM EDT
Have you had more success deer hunting in the mornings or in the evenings?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a deer after 10 am during hunting season.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the time of the year.

Early season bow, I don't even bother hunting in the morning.  You're just asking to spook deer on the way in and most of the time, they're in bed before shooting time anyway.

Early Pre-Rut - I still prefer afternoon slightly, but I do start seeing more deer in the morning, so on mornings when a cold front has come through and there's a big drop in temp from the day previous, I'll hunt the morning through about 11.

real pre-Rut - morning and evening are both great.

Rut - all day long baby, I shot the biggest buck of my life thus far(unfortunately didn't recover it) at 11:30 am on a fairly warm day November 11, which is late rut around  here.

Post rut - Morning and evening are good....depends on the day and how close you can get to bedding/food that's close together.

Late season, back to evenings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
During bow I won’t go out in the am, most of the time the deer are moving back to beds before lights good enough

I’ve come across many deer in the evening on their way to feed and water.

During gun. I just walk the woods up north and shoot what I bump
Most of my gun season success comes around mid day or early afternoon
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had more luck hunting in the morning, but killed my biggest buck in the evening. My main spot has more activity between 10-12 than it does sunrise-10. I hardly ever see a deer there before 8.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
During bow I won’t go out in the am, most of the time the deer are moving back to beds before lights good enough

I’ve come across many deer in the evening on their way to feed and water.

During gun. I just walk the woods up north and shoot what I bump
Most of my gun season success comes around mid day or early afternoon
View Quote
Is this a northern thing? I've been a pretty serious hunter for almost 30 years and never heard that but there's two posts in a row about it. I routinely bow hunt in the morning and don't have any more of a problem bumping deer than I do during rifle season.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is this a northern thing? I've been a pretty serious hunter for almost 30 years and never heard that but there's two posts in a row about it. I routinely bow hunt in the morning and don't have any more of a problem bumping deer than I do during rifle season.
View Quote
I’m convinced local deer herds vary in their habits from one herd to another due to all sorts of factors. On some public land I uses to hunt in north central Florida I’d always bump deer before daylight. They would be in the act of retreating into the deep swamp before hunters poured in for hunts. On my farm in the far north of Florida I never bump deer that I know of before daylight. They get very active late morning.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes. Some spots are better in the morning, some in the evening.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Rarely hunt the mornings.. last thing u wanna do is bump deer away from there bedding habits.. I see more deer and keep more deer on my land by only hunting at night/mid day.. deer are used to moving at night and encountering dangers and weird smells as they are leaving the safety of their bedrooms, but if your stomping around killing deer on their way to their bedrooms they will wise up, and find a safer space.. During peak rut, I’ll get in my stand around 9-10 am and sit till dark.. I see lots of mid day action..
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rarely hunt the mornings.. last thing u wanna do is bump deer away from there bedding habits.. I see more deer and keep more deer on my land by only hunting at night/mid day.. deer are used to moving at night and encountering dangers and weird smells as they are leaving the safety of their bedrooms, but if your stomping around killing deer on their way to their bedrooms they will wise up, and find a safer space.. During peak rut, I'll get in my stand around 9-10 am and sit till dark.. I see lots of mid day action..
View Quote
Very similar story here. So many deer at the places I hunt that it's impossible to sneak in before daylight without every deer in the area snorting and wheezing you out. Afternoon hunts are a pleasure. Get into the blind and wait for them to emerge from the tree lines. Sometimes it takes all of 10 minutes for that to happen.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I kill more bucks in morning, does in evening
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Between 10 AM and 2 PM.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of my success has been from 11am to 3:30 pm.
That Said I've killed deer at every hour of the daylight time, but most have been in the mid day block.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That Said I've killed deer at every hour of the daylight time, but most have been in the mid day block.
View Quote
I will wholeheartedly second the trusty 3:30 deer. Have plenty of them in the freezer.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will wholeheartedly second the trusty 3:30 deer. Have plenty of them in the freezer.

-Stooxie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Stooxie
This rings true during the rut
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I kill more bucks in morning, does in evening
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't pick one over the other based on my experience and the places I hunt. One exception is during gun season. I'll always pick a location where other hunters are likely to move deer my way from adjacent property, especially in the morning. Plenty of Willie Walkers during gun season here moving deer. During bow season I have noticed that on very cold mornings deer movement in general is less early on after first shooting light. Not to the point I'm not going to be on stand at first light though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Mornings for me.  I’d say overwhelmingly so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top