Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2022 11:34:07 AM EDT
not sure why, but this idea popped into my head over the weekend. I am looking to add a bit of stuff to my EDC for when I go hiking, screwing around in a wooded area here in the suburbs. I always prep more significantly for wooded adventures but was thinking it would probably be smarter to carry more stuff when out in the world. I always carry a gun/knife/phone, but was thinking an emergency blanket, spare knife, means to make fire, that kind of thing.

I was thinking about how many spare mag holders I have from carrying for years. Would be really easy to throw a small kit into the second spot on a double carrier to keep these small items out of the way until needed.

Am I crazy? not anticipating a sustained firefight that gets me to my 3rd mag, but needing a lighter or band aid could certainly come up.

Anybody have anything like this set up?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No, but I have been wanting to purchase/an Altoids kit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s a great place for a good light if you don’t already have that in EDC.  I’m scared of the dark.

I’d also support a TQ, multi-tool, or other kit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s a great place for a good light if you don’t already have that in EDC.  I’m scared of the dark.

I’d also support a TQ, multi-tool, or other kit.
View Quote

I do carry a small keychain light always and something more substantial if I'll be out after dark.

Reading up on some "DIY Altoid kits" now and it seems like fun to build one. I believe I have most of the stuff floating around the house, would be cool to streamline it in one place.

I did see an AR mag that had a 10 round mag that actually worked and a bottom part that detached and held gear. $50 though, full of crap tools, and the company has gone out of business. So that's out
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're talking Glock or some others, it would be pretty easy to add a bulbous end and a cap to any of the 3d-printed magazine files, to get a little more space than a normal magazine size only.

I'd still prefer an Altoids tin or similar.  Would suck to reload your pistol with your woods kit when under stress.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I do carry a small keychain light always and something more substantial if I'll be out after dark.

Reading up on some "DIY Altoid kits" now and it seems like fun to build one. I believe I have most of the stuff floating around the house, would be cool to streamline it in one place.

I did see an AR mag that had a 10 round mag that actually worked and a bottom part that detached and held gear. $50 though, full of crap tools, and the company has gone out of business. So that's out
View Quote

Hmmmm, I have some M9 mags I could donate for you to build a kit in…forget those weaka$$ altoid tins
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're talking Glock or some others, it would be pretty easy to add a bulbous end and a cap to any of the 3d-printed magazine files, to get a little more space than a normal magazine size only.

I'd still prefer an Altoids tin or similar.  Would suck to reload your pistol with your woods kit when under stress.
View Quote

Dang, here I thought I had an original idea
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
It is nice to always carry a decent flashlight, just in the event that you get held up somehow and it gets dark.
Throw one of those emergency ponchos in there in case of rapid weather change, it can also double as a second blanket.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're looking for a container to fit in a pistol mag pouch, pill bottle.
I started using them to hold a butane lighter to prevent accidental discharge, make it easier to find in a bag and provide some protection against getting wet.. There's usually room left over to add a cube or two of your favorite prepackaged tinder.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I went the soft side route when putting together a lightweight woods kit, and stretched the pouch for my Gerber multi tool to accept a flat pack with some chlorine dioxide tablets, a ferro steel rod, section of hack saw blade (with split ring) tweezers, needle and plastic straw packed with vaseline coated cotton ball... pack was vacuum sealed flat in a food saver... extra layer of clear packing tape to sides for added abrasion protection
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went the soft side route when putting together a lightweight woods kit, and stretched the pouch for my Gerber multi tool to accept a flat pack with some chlorine dioxide tablets, a ferro steel rod, section of hack saw blade (with split ring) tweezers, needle and plastic straw packed with vaseline coated cotton ball... pack was vacuum sealed flat in a food saver... extra layer of clear packing tape to sides for added abrasion protection
View Quote

@lasnyder that sounds like a cool set up. I get everything but the split rings with the hack saw blade?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Steve... I wanted to add a steel cutting ability to the Gerber multi tool... with a split ring through the blade hole, my ring is about .8" ID... position the split ring on top of the saw blade... grab the blade from the bottom, through the ring... extend the nose if the pliers through the ring....roll the pliers forward to tighten up
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
i would suggest the ten Cs in a wide mouth Nalgene or s/s bottle.
Especially if you are carrying a backpack.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

@blueheeler426 that sounds like a good idea too. Do you have a good broken down list of the stuff that goes with the 10 Cs?

I like the bottle idea, could use the same bag for edc and hiking.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a really good idea.

I make small kits packaged in heavy duty plastic bags holding things like iodine tablets, fire starter, emergency blanket, lighter, spare batteries, etc. They fold down really small. Trauma supplies are in a separate, slightly larger heavy duty bag, smaller med items are in an IFAK. Compass, knife and cordage are in all my adventure packs and if I am going somewhere where I'll need to increase hydration I'll carry a sawyer squeeze and some liquid IVs.

Some of that can fit conveniently in a magazine pouch, some of it not, but all of it together is still fairly small and light if well packed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm short on time right now so I can't go into great detail.  
A basic start would be the 10 Cs from Dave Canterbury's website.  He carries some pretty good gear also.

I can't take any credit from what I have listed below.  
I've been watching a lot of Mike Glover's Fieldcraft Survival videos over the past year or so.  A lot of good stuff to be found there.  As his company grows, he picks up some good people.  One video featured Kevin Estela.  I thought it was extremely well done.  

Below is a rough synopsis of what I picked up from the video.  
I would choose what size bottle you want to carry and place whatever items you think you would want; personally, I chose a wide mouth Klean Canteen so I would have something to boil water in.  
Some of the items weren't in the video; just suggestions added to my notes.

72 Hour Bug Out Challenge - Fieldcraft Survival          
Fieldcraft Survival Presents: 72 Hour Survival Challenge with a quart size bag!  - YouTube

Survival Kit – (72 hr. “Zip lock” kit- one quart bag)
The Minimalist Survival Kit Includes the following:
•High visibility Mylar emergency blanket 60”x90”  
•Knife – Morakniv Companion, Swiss Army Knife-Farmer, Gerber Dime, or Byrd Meadowlark 2
•Bank line    
•550 Cordage
•.5 Liter collapsible water bottle with Snap link
•Reynolds Oven bags for water storage 2+ (replaces the former condom use for water carrier)      
•Duct tape, flat pack
•Aqua Mira tabs and/or Sawyer Mini water filter  
•Small diameter tubing 3-5 ft.  
•4.5” X 6.5” water-resistant case and/or nylon bag (or dry bag)  
•One quart zip lock freezer bag    
•Ferro rod  
•Bic lighter  
•Double sided stainless steel signaling mirror    
•Emergency signal Floating whistle    
•Suunto button Compass    
•Weatherproof magnesium fire starter    
•Tinder    
•Notebook    
•Pencil    
•Petzl Head lamp    
•North American Rescue Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) Gen 7 (Orange)    
•NAR S-Rolled Gauze    
•QuikClot EMS Hemostatic Dressing    
•4 in. Mini Emergency Trauma Dressing        
•2 in. Surgical Tape, Flat Pack    
•1 pair Bear Claw Nitrile Gloves, Large        

Added to kit as space allows:
•SOL emergency bivy
•ESEE Izula II (in a duct tape sheath) or ESEE 3 knife  
•electrolyte tablets for water bottle
•Small fishhooks, fishing line  
•Small sauce packs; Cholula, lemon juice, honey, ghee,
•Wolf 21 supplement (sleep aid gummies for secure locations)  
•Edible plant knowledge cards
•Slingshot banding  

*   Find a shelter area. Use the emergency blanket as a tarp shelter. Build a tarp shelter using bank line, duct tape, knife.
*   Find good water source.  Use your long sleeve shirt as a carrier for the Reynolds oven bags being used as a bulk water bag (double the bags and use your shirt as a carrier).  Fill the bags and tie off with bank line. Put the filled bag in the long sleeve shirt that has been tied into a backpack for the filled water bags.
Once at basecamp dig a hole into a bowl shape to hold and support the Reynolds oven bag (your bulk water source) from spilling your water supply.  Use the clear tubing into the water bag to keep from handling it (risking spillage).  Use the tubing as a straw or to use as a siphon to get raw water to your treatment bag or cup.  
*  Enhance your shelter.  Use 18”-24” of greenery as bedding (winter); 4”-6” (summer desert).  Use the SOL bivy to sleep in.    
*   decided to make a fish trap out of willows; went fishing, built a cage trap with figure 4 trigger,
*   added fresh bedding to shelter daily  
*   foraged for natural edibles  
*   built a small cooking fire to cook fish or crawfish  
*   tried to get quality sleep  
*   forage for edibles, hydrate, try to stay cool (cool off in shallow water)

Wearing on person:
Long sleeve shirt
Long sleeve under shirt
Wide brim hat
Sunglasses
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
edited to add : I don't know if these links are working or not?

The 10 Essentials (or 14 essentials)
The Ten Cs      

formally known as the 10 essentials for backpacking
The TEN ESSENTIALS + Four - Backpacking Gear List      
1-detailed map of the area you will be visiting
2-compass  
3-headlamp or flashlight  
4-extra food – snack bars or sandwich
5-extra clothing  
6-eye protection – eye glasses, contacts, sun glasses, clear safety glasses (if you have to travel the woods at night, a branch in the eye can end a good time)
7-first aid kit  
8-pocket knife or multitool  
9-Bic lighter or waterproof/windproof matches  
10- Firestarter / tinder  
11- Water  
12- Whistle  
13- Insect protection – insect spray, clothing, head net / netting
14- Sunscreen  

Survival Gear | Self Reliance Outfitters™                
The Ten Cs    
Cutting tool – something with a cutting edge                                                        
Combustion – Bic lighter, Waterproof storm matches, ferro rods, fire steels, blast matches; tinder                                      
Cover – items that will help you keep your core temperature around 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit; proper clothing, emergency blanket, tarp, 55 gallon contractor bag,  
Container – a metal container, unlined, uncoated that is suitable for boiling water such as a 32 oz. steel bottle. Bonus points if it has volume markings.
Cordage – bank line, 550 paracord, dental floss, etc.      
Candlelight – headlamp, flashlight, chem light, etc. extra batteries
Cotton bandana @36”x36” – used as an improvised first aid packing and wound treatment dressing, a coarse first stage filter for water treatment, potholder, extra insulation, kindling  
Compass – compass with a built-in mirror and bezel    
Cargo tape – duct tape        
Canvas needle – #10  or #14 canvas sail needle  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top