Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 4:26:09 PM EDT
Is there any way to get rid of ants that will not poison me?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Boiling hot water poured in the mound.  You might have to do it a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer Extinguish Plus bait but you could mix up a few gallons of liquid seven and drench the mound. Will work better if poke a hole as deep into the mound as you can before drenching.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick your garden hose in the mound and run water till you drive them away.
Once clear of the edibles nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a tomato pot fully occupied as an ant mound last year over the winter. A full coat of diatomaceous earth over all of the soil killed them all, and the jalapeño plant i put in there with the mixed up dead ant and dtme soil grew REALLY well
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Search up products with spinosad that are labeled for garden use.   Some are even on the registry for organic farms.

You are correct to find something for garden use as many of the normal ant baits and killers should not be used in the garden.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Diatomaceous earth

https://g.co/kgs/KdBiKi

We've used this in the past.  Works ok
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Sevin dust will do just fine
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Diamataceous earth has worked for us.

Youre trying to preserve the plant and kill the ants, correct?  Wouldn’t boiling water cook the plant too?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Diamataceous earth has worked for us.

Youre trying to preserve the plant and kill the ants, correct?  Wouldn’t boiling water cook the plant too?
View Quote

It's all going to depend on where the mound is in relation to the plant.If t's 8 or 9 inches away, you would probably be fine.  If you have a bunch of tomato plants, and only one ant mound, losing one plant is not as big of a deal as poisoning the entire bed with something nasty.  

It's just one more tool in the tool box, and probably the most "organic" outside of owning an anteater.  

How does diatomaceous earth do with "good" insects?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the replies...i poked a couple holes in the mound and stuck a water hose in - i guess they didnt like it and left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top