Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2020 1:08:09 AM EDT
Ok guys back in 2002 around 30 wild hogs from Texas were let loose in around this area the guy that allegedly did it was acquitted of said charged in 2008. Between 02 and 2015 approx 300 hogs were killed between hunters and the DNR/USDA(according to WDNR) in about a 10mile radius of this area per most public reports most are north and east of this area. They announced in 2015 that they killed what they thought was the last descendant of those original hogs. The DNR guy that was tracking it said it disappeared for a couple months with no sign of it before it showed up again. Anyway I don't buy that the hogs are all gone as since then there have been reports of hogs in the surrounding counties to the east south north and across the border a little more north in Minn. I want to find some kill some and grill some

The current google maps and google earth satellite images are from Sept 2020 from what I can find.

Back in 05/06 my buddy kicked up a small pig while we were out deer hunting. he kicked it up about here. we chased it down the ridge to around here before it went up over the next ridge and over into the marsh area. This is the approx area my buddy took a shot at it. He missed and it and we lost it after that. We never saw another one and never heard of anyone seeing one after that. I last hunted deer out that way about 2010. I've been back in the area a few time over the last few years and have been out there twice this past year last time in June. While looking at these google maps and google earth images i noticed some things in the farm fields east of this area that don't look like things I'm used to seeing in the satellite images from past years. And it doesn't look consistent with things I see while out there normally while hunting. And in one spot in a driveway turn around area I see something that definitely wasn't there back in June.

spot one

Spot Two

spot three

spot four

This little clear area this is normal for not planted areas around here close to the fields. Those other four spots are not normal to what i'm used to seeing so I'm Courious if that might be hog damage. Back in June those 4 spots did not look like that.

Now on to the weird thing. What am i seeing here

Hard to tell in google maps but in google earth you can zoom in closer and if you use the 3d mode and look around it looks like it could be several smallish animals. When i went past here in June this year I turned around in this little turn around. You could drive right on it through it and turn around whatever these things are they were not there in June and are not normally there.

Could those spots possibly be piggy damage? Could those things in the turn around be piggies?
Since you guys know what pig damage looks like from the ground and I'm sure some of you know what it looks like from the air I'm hoping maybe y'all can help he out. what do y'all think?

ETA hope all the links work right

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Does not look like hog damage I have seen.

Looks like low lying wet areas that were avoided.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Pigs tear up the ground, but I have never seen them clear large areas like that.  they tend to be a lot more random and erratic.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pigs tear up the ground, but I have never seen them clear large areas like that.  they tend to be a lot more random and erratic.
View Quote
One is about 50 or so feet long. I didnt do a measurements on the others.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does not look like hog damage I have seen.

Looks like low lying wet areas that were avoided.
View Quote

The areas where the fields come up to the woods slope off in the direction of the woods. These are on top of ridges. When i was out that way last those areas were grown in with corn. That's why I was wondering what could have caused it. The first about 10ft or so of planted area from the woods is lower then the area above it I would assume most of the water would drain out twords the woods. Again just an assumption on my part but yeah it could very well be bad drainage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:02:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Also I'm planning to go out that way some time in January or February for a weekend. I was thinking of setting up a couple cameras in a couple areas down in the marsh area where my buddy took a shot at the one we chased. If anyone has advice on things to look for or type of areas that may give some indication of potential spots to put a temporary game camera  or two or three im all ears.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Look for mud rubbed on trees. Forget about the satellite imagery certain vegetation can appear to be damage or feeding round bales to cattle can appear as possible damage. Trail cameras are your best tool along with plain old scouting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes OP, I too wanted to hunt pigs. Until I saw overnight damage on the internet, caused by feral pigs.

I'm glad we don't have that problem around here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes OP, I too wanted to hunt pigs. Until I saw overnight damage on the internet, caused by feral pigs.

I'm glad we don't have that problem around here.
View Quote

Depends where in WI you are at. You very well Could have them around and while not a problem yet they could eventually be.
this map shows where they were at in Wisconsin in 2007 based on hunting reports, dnr reports ect.
According to https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/wildlifedamage/operational-activities/feral-swine/sa-fs-history from USDA  show that 2017 was the last year they are saying we had any type of population of wild piggies, though there have been several confirmed reports over the last few years with the most recent that I can find publicly coming in 2019 in Washburn County.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top