Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2024 4:39:02 PM EDT
Wife is recovering from 2 surgeries, we're having a wind and ice storm.  No power for 2 days.  Generator dying, heading to town to get a new one.

Question:  My fridge shows a power rating of 120v/6A, = 720W.  Is this likely the starting surge rating, or the running rating?  It's a samsung side by side with bottom freezer for reference.  Want to get a small genny but big enough to run that fridge and maybe one other.  (not necessarily at the same time)
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually rated for running. Starting will be higher, usually.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
get at least an 8kw and you should be fine. for summer put a soft start on your air conditioning then you wont need to worry about start up current.
Im also recommending without knowing your loads.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mrrick:
get at least an 8kw and you should be fine. for summer put a soft start on your air conditioning then you wont need to worry about start up current.
Im also recommending without knowing your loads.
View Quote

I've got a 6KW generac I use for my well pump, but hauling it all over the property for the various fridges/freezers isn't working well for me.  It much better suited to staying in the well house and running 30 min/day
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Ended up getting a predator 1400w before I'd seen the responses here.  Thankfully it runs both of my fridges, though I haven't tested both at once yet.  We'll see.  It uses ~12% the fuel of the old generac, so that's a bonus
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#6]
That is definitely not running watts of the compressor. Most modern fridge compressors draw less than 100 watts and they are inverter driven so no starting surge. 720 watts is the total power consumption of the entire system when everything is powered up including defrost heaters and door seal heaters. Heaters don't have a starting surge. I would plan on a running watt of 150 with occasional jumps to 400-500 with defrost heaters on. Very rarely would both heat sources be on at the same time as the compressor so it's very unlikely you would ever see a full 720 watts.

ETA, I'm not surprised it's running 2 fridges.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Wind and ice storm? Any possible better options for food storage? Ice chests?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
That is definitely not running watts of the compressor. Most modern fridge compressors draw less than 100 watts and they are inverter driven so no starting surge. 720 watts is the total power consumption of the entire system when everything is powered up including defrost heaters and door seal heaters. Heaters don't have a starting surge. I would plan on a running watt of 150 with occasional jumps to 400-500 with defrost heaters on. Very rarely would both heat sources be on at the same time as the compressor so it's very unlikely you would ever see a full 720 watts.

ETA, I'm not surprised it's running 2 fridges.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for this response
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By VoodooChile:
Wind and ice storm? Any possible better options for food storage? Ice chests?
View Quote

Yes, but also no.  I can transfer more stuff to the outdoor fridge and some ice chests, but I'm also taking care of my wife just a little removed from 2 major surgeries and our 3 kids so the less labor added to my day, the better.

Not to mention that this is a somewhat recurring issue (we're living somewhat remote, power grid reliability wise anyways) so I want to have a long term solution that doesn't involve me wrenching on or dragging this aging generac all over the homestead
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Hope everything non-generator works out for you, OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top