Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2022 6:35:03 PM EDT
We use to get these free at gas stations  when I was a kid. Yes that was a long time ago.

are there any sources that still provide state paper maps??

I know about the printable ones.  Im making Get Home kits   Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Last one I got was from the Welcome Center at the state line but that was about 10 years ago so I'm not really sure what's up now.

I know that as recently as 2020 you can contact the State tourism department to get free printed Maps sent to your home.

If you're a AAA member they can provide you with free maps
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I make a point to buy Rand McNally atlases for every country we travel through. They aren’t free, and they take up a bit more space, but they get a pretty  comprehensive look at the major highways and some travel information as well.

Something else I like to have is Gaia GPS and it’s downloadable Topographic maps on my phone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome centers and AAA are the only free ones I know of any more.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact the state-of-interest's tourism board. I know all the states out here will send out free road/recreation maps.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We use to get these free at gas stations  when I was a kid. Yes that was a long time ago.

are there any sources that still provide state paper maps??

I know about the printable ones.  Im making Get Home kits   Thanks
View Quote

Check out this website https://www.heyitsfree.net/free-state-maps/
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome centers on interstates.  Presumably, a states department of tourism or the like might mail you one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome centers still have them. The Delhorme map books are far and away the best maps you can get. I have them for my state and any state I spend time in. They show every small cow trail in the state , Not cheap and have Long. Lat overlays as well. I have used them to avoid accidents and holiday traffic and they work
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome centers still have them. The Delhorme map books are far and away the best maps you can get. I have them for my state and any state I spend time in. They show every small cow trail in the state , Not cheap and have Long. Lat overlays as well. I have used them to avoid accidents and holiday traffic and they work
View Quote

Same same.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I found some $4 ones at theBLM but they only individually show a small section of the state
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to your local state DOT office.  TxDOT district offices around the state have them out for free handouts usually along with the local city maps as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
PA and VA put them out at rest stops every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered one online from MODoT. Free and they mailed it to me. Other state's departments of transportation probably will too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Rest stops and welcome centers.

We travel a bit in our camper and I make a point to get a map from every state we go to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#14]
In NY most county tourism departments will have free maps.  Also, welcome centers.  Not great maps and exactly worth the price you pay
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I ordered one online from MODoT. Free and they mailed it to me. Other state's departments of transportation probably will too.
View Quote

Correct, contact your state DOT.

HERE'S YOURS

I have a calendar reminder to request a couple every year.  I get them for MO, each surrounding state, and some states out west I visit regularly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Download, print and laminate whatever map you want with whatever detail : https://caltopo.com/map.html
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#17]
80% of states will send you one with Vacation information.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#18]
That website is great.   Started receiving my free paper maps.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That website is great.   Started receiving my free paper maps.
View Quote
Yep my travel guides is approaching a stack 2 feet tall! So much fun looking at places I have never been. Makes you realize how little time you have to explore America.

Link Posted: 10/29/2022 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]
City and County offices have them sometimes.

Any one sell street and road level county maps in atlas form by state? Looking for a truckers atlas type map but with all the roads in the state. The Rand McNally  motor carriers road atlas has some of the major city's like Chicago but would like a map of the roads for the hole state.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]
We always get an atlas from our state farm agent every year.

Edit:  I see the state atlas with all the county roads in Walmart sometimes. It's red I think.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We always get an atlas from our state farm agent every year.

Edit:  I see the state atlas with all the county roads in Walmart sometimes. It's red I think.
View Quote

Here is what we used to use on Mototrcycles Delorme Red Atlas
Now we  use Avenza .  Download any Geospatial map and you are good to go.

Check DOT for all your county maps by road number.

We found the Delorme Gazetteer is outdated with roads and road names.  The UTM Grid would always keep you on the map with a little extra effort.

This is a trout map from NC Wildlife downloaded into Avenza.  It not only shows you on the trout map but will tell you how to get there with an offline map App like MAPME.
Attachment Attached File

Here is a DOT map of the same county. Tax dollars at work.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome centers have them
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#24]
You should download QGIS and learn to use it. You can make nearly any map you might want with freely available information.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I made a small spreadsheet to keep track of maps requested.  So far, New Mexico, Washington, and Pennsylvania do not provide maps.  The Google sheet is here if you want to use it (link left cold)  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nMp9RA2slUm_U5BMIV7X2TC2Ff46s4TZHqW_YfSf9wc/edit?usp=sharing

mm
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#27]
North Carolina offers free state road maps every year. I always one for each vehicle, just order from the DOT and they mail it to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top