Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2021 8:59:01 PM EDT
always have a handgun with me.  thinking about a folding rifle (sub 2k, PC carbine or ar pistol or shotgun) to put in truck for longer overnight trips.

thoughts?  have ar's but not sure where I would put them in my SUV.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
always have a handgun with me.  thinking about a folding rifle (sub 2k, PC carbine or ar pistol or shotgun) to put in truck for longer overnight trips.

thoughts?  have ar's but not sure where I would put them in my SUV.

View Quote

Why not? You use your pistol to fight to your long gun right?

What you should get that depends on what you have and what your looking for is weapon to do.

You could get a pistol carbine or a pistol that uses rifle rounds. How much space do you have or want to use also?

I have both a 223 and 300 blk pistol with a brace along with a Shockwave with brace and I'd be happy to have any of these in my truck.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you predict what is going to happen when? Can't hurt to keep a rifle in the SUV IMO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep a flux brace glock 17 in mine for trips. Reach out further and with more ammo than a pistol, and I can easily hit at 100 yards. Still fits in the glove box
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a few packages, but a Glock with a FLUX or Recover Tactical brace does extend your ccw range significantly with likely greater capacity, much better accuracy, and much better range.

I have a couple travel packages.  Usually an AR pistol:

Currently using a more compact package right now:

As long as it can be reasonably secured and you're comfortable with it in your truck and having done your own risk assessment, why not?  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Lot's of variables here....Distance traveled from home, city, rural, flat open, mountainous open, wooded, state/local laws etc., etc.

Short answer: YES.

Either way. Please DO NOT leave a pistol or a rifle in the vehicle unaccompanied overnight whether home or away.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
No, you probably don't NEED one.

Statistically speaking that is.

Statistically speaking, armed encounters are fast. Several seconds and over. You likely WILL NOT have time to get back to your vehicle and retrieve a long gun in a typical gun fight. Sure there is the off chance situation where you are in the area of an active shooter and say "shit! I still don't hear sirens and this guy is offing people". It HAS happened. But the odds it'll happen to you are very very slim.

That being said, my work vehicle has a lock box with an 10.5" M4 and Glock 21, and full load out. My personal has an old chest rig, and when I go out of town I usually have a broken down AR in a duffel bag.

The gear in my work car gets used regularly. My personal does not, and probably never will. I recognize that, and if I happen to not have it or take it, I'm not concerned.

I'd argue that you are FAR more likely to need a IFAK/TQs/Fire ext before you need a long gun .

You can argue Kyle Rittenhouse, and I see your point. But he was not just out and about. He went into a WarZone. If I were in his position.....

ETA, really liking that Sig MPX.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Amazon Product
  • Zippered compartment holds up to 2 racquets
  • Zippered accessory compartment
  • Adjustable shoulder strap with pad

Look at the comments.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless its deer season and I am going hunting: no.

I used to keep a survival type 22lr in my SUV just because years ago but not any more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Do I need a long gun in my truck?
View Quote

Smart money sez, ... Only if you intend to drive into places or locations where a long gun might be needed, in preference to your EDC handgun.

My daily 5-min commute to the drive-thru of a suburban Starbucks, for example, is unlikely to ever be one of those.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I think one of the things we do that hurts the 2A community is feed stats to the anti gunners. Leaving any gun in a vehicle is just less than smart and is the leading reasons guns are stolen by criminals. "My Truck" needs nothing and had no ability to fire a weapon, thus needs no firearm I can't carry. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I think one of the things we do that hurts the 2A community is feed stats to the anti gunners. Leaving any gun in a vehicle is just less than smart and is the leading reasons guns are stolen by criminals. "My Truck" needs nothing and had no ability to fire a weapon, thus needs no firearm I can't carry. Just my 2 cents.
View Quote

There requires some common sense, but blanket statement that having your car broken into and firearm or any item stolen is the victims fault is just as counter productive.  Yes, doing so requires a personal risk assessment and much depends on where one lives and works.  For me to have a gun as part of my get home kit, I have to leave it in my vehicle; however it's more secure than where we live and I could leave my home and vehicle unlocked 24x7.  Read the reports; guns are stolen from vehicles because they are in high crime areas, sitting in plain sight, and are not even locked in a small storage container or cable-locked.

There are measures you can take, just like at home...the big keys are not to leave them overnight where car thefts are a common occurrence.  

At the end of the day, one's self defense measures are entirely dependent on their own situation, their individual risk assessment, and the prudent control measures to mitigate theft.  

Eventually, people will accept home theft as normal and question why any gun owner doesn't have their guns locked up in an expensive gun club with limited access...calling them irresponsible gun owners....sorry if I refuse to accept the victim of car theft as the one at fault.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
YES.. & Take it out when you leave the truck ..Put it in your holster & go about your life.
We now live in a crazy world where wrong is right & vice verse  
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I always take a long gun camping or on road trips, where I'd be in close proximity to the truck, or we're somewhere remote. I don't, as a matter of course leave one in there, though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're going to keep a rifle in your truck, you should legitimately secure it. It takes a little workmanship and problem solving, but you can lock it down so that it is nearly as secure as it would be in your home. I have a Cadillac ATS-V, which is a relatively small car, yet I was able to install a safe in my trunk which secures my rifle. With a pickup, you have far better options. So, should you carry a rifle? Yes, but do so responsibly by locking it the heck down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a few packages, but a Glock with a FLUX or Recover Tactical brace does extend your ccw range significantly with likely greater capacity, much better accuracy, and much better range.

I have a couple travel packages.  Usually an AR pistol:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2353/DDM4V7_Travel_Kit-1-1959417.jpg

Currently using a more compact package right now:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2353/20210529_093908-1959335.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2353/20210529_093959-1959338.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2353/20210529_094236-1959341.jpg

As long as it can be reasonably secured and you're comfortable with it in your truck and having done your own risk assessment, why not?  

ROCK6
View Quote

Nice setup. I wonder if a 10.5" AR with a Law Tactical folder would fit in that bag.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nice setup. I wonder if a 10.5" AR with a Law Tactical folder would fit in that bag.
View Quote

Man, mine won't (F5 Switchback).  I have DDM4V7 10.5" with LAW folder and it's just about an inch too much.  The slightly larger S27 from Eberlestock has a drop down area that would give it enough room for a folding pistol or SBR.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Man, mine won't (F5 Switchback).  I have DDM4V7 10.5" with LAW folder and it's just about an inch too much.  The slightly larger S27 from Eberlestock has a drop down area that would give it enough room for a folding pistol or SBR.

ROCK6
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
If I still lived in a rural farm area my long gun would be a shotgun. They just seem more practical for those smaller game situations. My truck gun is a AR pistol. It is just to easy to build a cheap and reliable
AR pistol not to have one. I agree about taking action to prevent it from being stolen from your truck. You also have to be able to access it quickly so to that end I rely on my Glock and then the AR if things are out of control.

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

This is my go to loadout when I have to make trips to Denver, or Colorado for that matter. Only difference now is the pistol (300blk) has an inforce light instead of the scout.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep a 16" AR-10 in my truck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I still lived in a rural farm area my long gun would be a shotgun.
View Quote

My situation was different, but I kept a shotgun in my truck for a few years.  CCW and unregistered firearms are prohibited in most military bases.  While I wasn't lower ranking, I had to accept some level of risk.  The base I was on had (still does) a real nice range for rifles, pistols, and even doing some skeet shooting.  I don't shoot skeet, but kept a "registered" Mossberg 500 combo in my truck.  I kept the 26" barrel on it with the 18" in a sleeve with both birdshot, buckshot, and slugs.  I would just have to explain I was going to the range or I forgot to remove it...after a year, I just said fuck it and kept something more feasible in my truck.  Theft was never a concern, but vehicle searches were.  Even the searches were pathetic which reinforced my decision to be prepared.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a week goes by without someone posting a “had valuables stolen out of my car” on my neighborhood board. Usually accompanied with a worthless doorbell camera video.
If you decide to have a long gun live in your vehicle, please be thoughtful about balancing the various risks.

Saw a couple of those tennis racket bags at the protests last summer. Not nearly as stealthy as their owners believed they were being. Almost as bad as a shoot-me-first vest.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Saw a couple of those tennis racket bags at the protests last summer. Not nearly as stealthy as their owners believed they were being. Almost as bad as a shoot-me-first vest.
View Quote

Anyone carrying a racket bag other than going from the parking lot to the court is suspect. Now, most members of the general public are not terribly observant, but enough are. I find it hilarious that people think carrying like that will fly under the radar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Anyone carrying a racket bag other than going from the parking lot to the court is suspect. Now, most members of the general public are not terribly observant, but enough are. I find it hilarious that people think carrying like that will fly under the radar.
View Quote

yeah that's pretty much only a good option for putting in and out of your car or into a hotel room. And only if you're in reasonable shape. Would be pretty suspect just walking around with it.

that's why I'm liking stuff that fits in normal backpacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top