Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2020 12:43:37 PM EDT
I am going to begin building, elevated 6'-8', blinds and what is the minimum floor space needed to two adults to hunt together?

I've researched on youtube and pre-built and the square footage is all over the place.

I'd like to fit to average adults, sitting in chairs, each with a rifle and a pack pack.

Also want to make is as small as possible and consider standard building supply sizes for lumber.

A buddy of mine has built both using plywood and metal siding and he says all of his will be metal sided in the future.

What has your experience been?

What has worked and what would you do differently?

Did you need a porch of sorts at the door or just have the ladder meet the bottom of the door?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some that are 4x4.  2 fits but not real well.  I would say 4x6 would be min.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Depth is an important factor. Need to be able to scoot back and get down on the rifle without hitting the back of the blind.

Every time I’ve had 2 in a blind or seen others doing so, it’s one person taking a second one (guest, girlfriend/wife, kid, grandkid) hunting, so really needs to be optimized toward a single shooter.

More width means more shooting arc.  I’d recommend windows/ports on all 4 sides with the ability to hang a curtain (no backlighting) on the back (door) side. Shooting out a side port sucks on a lot of blinds, but it is better than having no option and watching a deer walk because it’s at an awkward angle. You set up facing your most likely angle of approach, but critters don’t always cooperate.

If you have opening ports/windows, make sure they open and close quietly.

A low shelf for binos, water bottles etc is never a bad idea.

A blind for 2 needs a way to rack rifles where you don’t knock them over or make noise moving them to get a shot, especially if there’s really one shooter but two rifles. I can’t tell you how many times the “guide” looks through binos or is looking around while the shooter is setting up a shot and his knee or something hits a rifle propped up against a wall/corner and makes noise, but it happens a lot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I've made two 6x8's; way too big, way too much time, way too much materials.  

My third one is 4x6.  Going to be much simpler and smaller than the other two.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I should be out working on this 4x4 right now.  Lord, it's taking forever...  

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vatopa:
I have some that are 4x4.  2 fits but not real well.  I would say 4x6 would be min.
View Quote

4x6 minimum.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
so what would be the minimum height from the ground?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is 6'X8'  interior dimensions. It's up there, overall height is about 24'.
I have 2 leather office chairs inside. It does get a bit tight when 2 people are hunting, and a bow shot is about to be taken...but I'm very happy with it. Ceiling height is just short of 8'.
Will be at camp this weekend to set up the feeder, satellite game cameras, and put new tires on the ATV.
Might do some coyote hunting while there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so what would be the minimum height from the ground?
View Quote

I put mine between 9' and 10'.  It's the highest (without modifications) that I can lift the shooting house with my tractor and forks.

You can see one 10' 4x4 here that go into those elevator brackets at each corner.

In the air and temporarily braced.  We might have to cut half a foot off the corner 4x4s to level it out.

Fully braced with two 2x4x12' diagonally front and back and two 2x4x10' on the sides, plus a 2x4 along the bottom just above the concrete deck blocks.  Makes for a very sturdy and solid house!

It's worth it though - a couple days later.  Note how the lead doe is paying no attention to the house:

Another group.  The lead deer is not looking at the house, it's looking at my Kubota RTV, which is parked just to the right of the house, right where she is looking.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top