Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2017 11:30:00 AM EDT
Needing a few reference books and I am leaning to these three.

-The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping, Gathering, and Cooking in the Wild
-Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
-Advanced Bushcraft: An Expert Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival

I am hoping these three will give me a good reference guide to what I will need, because in the next montu or so my life will be depending on them and if they are crap Id like to know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked Dave's book, had some good info in it. Best thing to do imo is to collect several. A lot of it will be the same info but some go into to detail that others don't. I'd also suggest an edible wild foods book.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe Dave's books are a very good read.  He moves right through the material and doesn't "candy coat" anything.  He speaks from real life experience.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
My sense of Dave Canterbury is that he's a genuinely good dude and a good instructor. I own three of his books and there's a lot of overlap with other established knowledge. The BSA Handbook, Field Books and guys like Kephart and Nessmuk were both around long before Dave Canterbury, but he generally does credit them when it's due.

To a fairly seasoned outdoorsman, some of his material will seem outdated. For example, I'm pretty sure he produced his entire series of hammock videos without mentioning underquilts or structural ridgelines. He's an incredible resource for areas I'm new at, like blacksmithing and trapping.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have advanced bushcraft. Definitely worth purchasing. I'll pick up his others eventually.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read Bushcraft 101 and Advanced Bushcraft. They provide a good foundation of written information to learn from and reference. Not sure if it's still available, but I read Advanced Bushcraft for free with a Kindle Unlimited subscription.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Dave also has a YouTube channel.

Wilderness Outfitters
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Good read

As he states his experience comes from a specific part of the country

But the information he provides easily branches off. Myself i branched into getting edible plants book specific from my area.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Dave Canteburry has a huge library of Youtube videos if you prefer that rout.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a fan of Dave's teachings. I have only one of his books, the trapping/ cooking book.  from what I understand his 101 is pretty basic. I have Mors book Bushcraft, and it's a textbook of wilderness living.
Kepharts books are available online and are also a great read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top