Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2019 2:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pauperis]
I'm looking for recommendations on cast net brands. I want net 6-10 foot in radius. I'm just now learning how to throw one. I have 2 cheap ones that I've been playing with and I think if I get something with a little more quality it will be easier to throw. I'm trying to catch bait in a deep lake with a rocky bottom if that matters.

Edited to add that I'm specifically looking for recommendations on cast net brands. IE is Fitec or Barracuda with the extra money over a Betts Old Salt.?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:57:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#1]
Deep lake... leans toward bigger diameter net with more weight.

But being new, as you write, I’d recommend an eight footer, maybe ten footer, with heavy weights and some YouTube and on the water practice.

Edit: pick a reasonable mesh size. If 1/2” will work, don’t get 3/8”.... the larger the mesh for diameter and weight, the faster the net will sink. Catching bait in deep water , especially bait holding deep, requires a fast sinking net (with the largest diameter you can actually get to expand when you throw it.)
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Betts Super Pro
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't have a pocket knife clipped to your pocket when throwing a cast net.  
Somewhere just off the Melbourne Beach Pier sits my first Benchmade knife.

I have a Betts
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:12:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KeepTheChnge] [#5]
Just replaced my old stiff net with a 6ft betts with 3/8" mesh. I believe it's the old salts premium. Pretty soft and opens great. Mesh depends on what bait your trying to get. I went 3/8" because I plan to use it for smaller mullet, pilchards, mojarra etc all of which are close to surface most of the time. Previous net was 1/2" and would cause the smaller fish to get caught by the gills.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Fitec 10 foot net with 3/8 mesh. I threw it perfect on the first cast. I learned the hard way that there are different techniques for throwing larger nets and smaller ones. The videos I had been watching were all using large nets and I had smaller ones (6 foot). Now if I could figure out how to keep these  alewives alive that would be great.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a cheap 8 footer from Wal Mart. Catches plenty of ballyhoo and mullet no problem.

If it your first time, I would wait until dropping more money on a better one
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, I can’t help you with brands because the last two nets I owned I tied myself.
Many years ago I bought a booklet titled How To Make and Mend Cast Nets at a local tackle shop & decided to go for it. Between the book and a friend who also tied his own to help me get through a few glitches, I tied two nets. A small mesh bait net that ended up about five feet long and an eight foot mullet net.
The mullet net was the first one and it took a long time to tie. The bait net took a really long time. Tying your own is very tedious and boring. I couldn’t stay with it for more than an hour or so at a time and I had  to be in the right mood. I took me about two years to complete them. It was worth it though. They opened up with just the flick of the wrist. I had them for many years before I gave them to a friend when I left Florida.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top