Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2023 7:41:00 PM EDT
there was a year or two where every camper was sold and every campground at max capacity.   i'm curious what it's like now.   i haven't driven around the country since '21 but thinking about a trip this year.    curious if the economy is having an affect on occupancy.   national parks expected to be packed this summer?  or will crowds be down?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
RV sales lots seem to have tons of inventory and the ones I drive by aren’t turning it over quickly.

In 21 I would count the number of motor homes and travel trailers I would see per mile, usually around 7.  The last trip I counted an average of 4.  That said, campgrounds still seem to be doing well and are mostly full.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was at Crater Lake, OR in September 22, they said the first available site was May 23

No idea if that is still true
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
When you mention national parks, I can only assume that you mean out west. That I can not help you with.

If you have an intention to roll thru SC, I can tell you that most state parks and other campgrounds are still booked up months in advance

Good luck in scheduling your trip.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a fella could just from Arfcom members house to Arfcom members house for a year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I had no trouble booking a campground outside Yosemite NP in August.

Book now, if you can. THings might get busy once all the snow starts melting out here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently booked a week at Yellowstone and a week at Glacier in August.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Been camping for over 10yrs with Toyhaulers.  Bought a class A diesel pusher March of '19 before the Covaids.

Before the great rv surge, I could go wherever I wanted with little to no notice.  Now it's gotta be planned and prices went up at campgrounds.  Spots we had just canceled for this year were taken within 24hrs

I just sold my Class A last week and I am done with the whole scene.  Pay a fortune to live like a gypsy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HKH:
I recently booked a week at Yellowstone and a week at Glacier in August.
View Quote

I got a week-long stay at a park right outside the entrance to Yosemite for early August. No problem at all  making the reservation, plenty of spaces available this early.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Last summer I traveled from Minnesota to Eugene Oregon and back. We didn't have a set itinerary outside of a few days in a hotel while we attended the World Track and Field Championships.  We were going to drive each day and setup camp whenever we felt like it. Some nights were boondocking, some were in campgrounds.  No real problem  at all.

We got there earlier(Eugene) than expected so we had to find a campground.
Getting a hotel room for a reasonable price was impossible, same as the campgrounds. We stayed a couple of days at an RV park which was not a great stop, it was the worst place we stayed on the trip. It was almost like camping in a parking lot. But it was safe, and it did fill up daily.
We got in without any prior reservation. Just the nicer campground locations were full.
That was fairly typical on the trip, if we pulled in before 4PM, we had to problem. We did pull into a campground outside of Wallace Idaho about 6PM and got the last spot available.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 1:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're traveling the west and are able to do so dispersed camping in the way. Traveled all over Montana in 2021 rarely staying in a designated site. It was easy to find places to camp without people. The only thing that sucked about that trip was how fucked NPS' management of Glacier was. National Parks have become so crowded you need to get reservations in advance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top