Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/4/2021 7:17:36 PM EDT
I am not sure whether this is:

1. compacted as crap Georgia clay. (needs aeration).
2.what ever the turfcare guy is spot spraying for weeds is killing the turf. (i doubt it.)
3.some kind of grubs.

Any ideas? It is spreading.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Fungus maybe?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fungus maybe?
View Quote
i dont see any spots or anything on the blades.

i water 3x a week, 10 on 15 off with a total zone time of 40 minutes each. 4 zones.

same watering schedule last year and didnt have this problem.

i am leaning towards needing core areation. ive done the humeric acid areation thing once and I'm not sure how much of a difference it made.

the thatch level isn't bad. but it probably needs dethatching this fall as it has never been done. the lawn is not even 2 years old yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, OP, I hope I did not overstep. I took one of your photos and showed it to my friends who treat warm-season turf down south.

I said, "Is this in fact Dollar Spot?"

And to a one, they said, "Yep. Dollar Spot."

Then they went on to say, " apply a fungicide."
So.....there you go.

You have Dollar Spot.

HOWEVER, your 10-on, 15-off water pattern is interesting. Why do you do that?  What time of day do you water?

That may be contributing to the problem.
View Quote
Thanks! With the clay soil here, and the way my lot slops, I am trying to maximize absorption and not create a ton of run off. I think I have it set to run starting at 1:00.

Thanks for taking the time to research and respond. I'll being my turf guy (not Trugreen) a call.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of the more bare spots have black sludgey type surface soil to them.

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#7]
not an expert, but I would agree with "dollar spot"

watering too frequently is often the cause

dethatching and aerating can help prevent it
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
not an expert, but I would agree with "dollar spot"

watering too frequently is often the cause

dethatching and aerating can help prevent it
View Quote
i might back it down to twice a week. I am keeping the grass cut longer to retain more water so this might help.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You need to be watering in the early morning, right at daylight, to wash off the dew, and allow maximum leaf dry time before the worst of the heat hits the grass.   Day watering is a no-no, as is evening watering.

Now then.   Would I water in the daytime rather than not water at all?  Certainly.

But the watering needs to be done before the sun hits it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks! With the clay soil here, and the way my lot slops, I am trying to maximize absorption and not create a ton of run off. I think I have it set to run starting at 1:00.

Thanks for taking the time to research and respond. I'll being my turf guy (not Trugreen) a call.

You need to be watering in the early morning, right at daylight, to wash off the dew, and allow maximum leaf dry time before the worst of the heat hits the grass.   Day watering is a no-no, as is evening watering.

Now then.   Would I water in the daytime rather than not water at all?  Certainly.

But the watering needs to be done before the sun hits it.  
for clarification 01:00. the run time is done around 0500 or so. so yes, definitly understand not watering during the day.

i backed the watering down to twice a week.  I never thought I would care this much about my lawn, but its kind of fun.

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
You're making perfect sense

This is the "liquid aeration" aka humeric acid treatment I had done in May. Sup r Soil

How often should I apply the Air-8? This lawn has only been established since September 2019, and has not been core aerated.  

In regards to the soil sample, the clay is tough to get a clean section out of. I'm in a new construction neighborhood, and have watched all the lawns put in the same way, which lines up with my crappy core attempt below. The lot is graded down to pure clay, then the house is built. After the construction debris is removed, the final bare clay around the house part of the lot is rolled and flattened by the lawn installation crew after sprinklers are put in. Hybrid bermuda on those big premade mesh sod rolls is rolled out onto the clay with only the gray soil holding the grass together as the soil going on top of the clay. No topsoil, nutrients, etc. The rolls of bermuda are rolled out, flattened, and stitiched with a turf machine.

Crumbly pieces. you can see its all clay with maybe an uneven 1/4 inch of gray crappy dirt no black.

there is no top soil / thatch line. just straight clay.

this is what I was considering "thatch". i have large areas of this dead grass lying down among the straggly bermuda striolons:

I think obviously I don't have a good soil base to hold nutrients. Is there a way to have a load of top soil or etc. that can be distributed over the top with out looking like dirt is dumped everywhere?

Actual core aeration. I read to do this in early fall (september- next month). Ive also read in mid spribg before lawn season starts. Which is correct?

Turf service was here and put down of sort of 30-10 etc nitrogen mix in what I am assuming is to help burn the dollar spot out versus using Banner max etc fungicide to kill it.

Thanks for the help.

eta: There are several lawns where the bermuda is perfectly dark green and even from the base of the blade all the way to the top and no sparse spots. These lawns are the same age as mine with similiar watering schedules. I'll grab a pic. The owners do the chemicals themselves. I am assuming that they are turbo charging the crap out of the bermuda with lots of nitrogen, more and more often then my service does. From what ive read it seems hybrid bermuda luuuvvves nitrogen and it almost cant get enough.

Link Posted: 8/14/2021 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
If that was my yard, I would back down to one watering per week to get the equivalent of 1" of water applied.  I'd also put out humic acid (liquid aerator) and chelated iron.  From what I understand, you can't really overdo humic acid.  Your wallet may hurt more than the soil.  The chelated iron helped me out with some fungus issues a month or two ago and gave the grass a nice deep green color.  

Also get a soil test done.  This year had me going with higher nitrogen and very little else.  The soil test should tell you the pH, nutrient levels and possibly some recommendations for other things.  You've got a pretty good start.  You might also consider top dressing the lawn if you're up for a day of sweating your ass off and moving lots of soil/sand mix.  I did mine last year with a 50/50 mix of topsoil and sand.  I've probably got one or two more top dressings to get my front yard right.  It's going to take several to get the back yard even close to smooth.  It might not be necessary but it makes the grass more enjoyable to walk on.

Definitely aerate the yard and rake up the plugs to use elsewhere or dispose of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Okay this helps a LOT.

I know that horrible soil.   The most expensive development in our region has exactly that.   It's the worst soil I've ever seen, and it seems that's what all builders are doing now.   I think they should all be fined for that crap.

First....if the homeowners are getting gorgeous grass, and your service is not, it's time to ask the homeowners what they're doing.  

Unless there is something keeping you from asking, you should ask.

Second....your lawn care company...what are you paying them and what exactly are they doing? (how many treatments, what is included, etc?)  Because if the homeowners are getting good results and your company is not?   AND you've got in-ground irrigation (which is truly the dividing line between the ability to have a good lawn, and an awesome lawn, if Lawn Care is not going to become your number one hobby) something is wrong.  It's time to assess what's happening and why.  

This is the best turf care company in the area. This is my third company. The lawn in noticeably better with this company. They leave detailed notes of what chemicals they apply and why. Probably 40% of the homes in my community use this community. Some homes are very similar in appearance to the few homeowners with the best looking (retiree) self turf maintained lawns. We all have the same crappy scraped clay turf, however; some of the nice lawns are some of the first homes that were built. Their lawns are about 8 months older than mine. I do not care enough at this point to do all my chemicals. They do all the weed treatments, pre / post emergents,, fertilizers, etc. I am happy with the compromise right now.

Third.....  That is not actually thatch, best I can tell.   That is dead grass (from disease or something else) lying on top of the ground.  

Fourth....Humic acid is an awesome thing.  I'm going to suggest you make liberal use of it. But real liquid aeration is different.  Does humic help with the aeration effect somewhat?  Yes.  It does.  But not like the Air-8 will..

Air-8 - How often should I use this? Once in the spring and fall?

Now...I don't know your region, so I don't know when you would overseed.

Zone 8a. The only "overseeding" (more like reseeding bare spots) that i really have is in high run off areas. I need to tie in 2 gutters to my underground french drains to fix this problem before I just kill more growth with high runoff.

I would be very tempted to burn that down, bring in a couple of loads of topsoil, and start over with a superior variety of hybrid bermuda.  BUT...that's a mess. That's expensive, and a lot of backbreaking work.  AND....you can fix your soil.  The thing you have to do to fix it, though, is get good grass growing in it, so the grass roots do the work for you.  That's going to take some work.  And it's not going to be a one-time pill you dump on the lawn.

Is it possible to  "seed over" the current species of hybrid bermuda with a superior brand? Without it looking too weird as it takes over the original grass?

I will say to you that I doubt your present lawn care company is going to do that work, so you may be faced with a choice...Switch companies, to somebody with a more individualized approach, and pay out the wazoo for a major lawn overhaul, or...keep your present company and do it yourself.  

Now then, there's a problem with that.   If my customer started f**cking with his lawn in a major way in between my treatments, I'd fire that customer.  One person needs to be making the decisions about that lawn, and if I'm the professional getting paid for results, that person needs to be me (that's not as arrogant as it sounds. I can't fix what somebody else is messing with, and this would all be a team effort...I do a lot of communicating, the why and what I'm doing, and if my customer wants to do something, we talk about it, and the timing, and I educate the customer about how to carry out his/her effort).  BUT...if my customer's lawn looked like that, I'd be standing beside him, saying, "we have problems here, and here is the way we need to fix it. This is what it's going to cost you (there would be sticker shock) but your lawn sucks, and if you want it to not suck, it needs intensive care."  (So you know....I am not the typical lawn care company. I have fewer customers, they each pay me more,  I communicate because they like that, and I baby their grass (and their landscape, and their container plantings).  They like the attention and they like their gorgeous lawns. It is a boutique-style business. )

So you're going to have to figure out your approach.

Some points to note:
*I will not tell you what chemicals to put on your lawn. I don't know.  I could make a decent guess, but I don't treat Bermuda. I kill Bermuda.  With fire. From orbit.  Your lawn care company (or any reliable turf trx company in your area) knows more about that than I do.  

*Those same lawn care companies likely have a fertilizer program that works in your area, on Bermuda, too.   So what they're doing probably isn't wrong.  (Although it could be wrong.   Do you know anybody else in the neighborhood who uses your same company?  What does that lawn look like?)

*What I tell you to do will not interfere with what the company is doing, but there may come a point at which you have to take control of your lawn, to get it to work.  I can't foresee that point right now, but I'm just sayin....

I would prefer to stick to soil improvement product type chemicals that have little chance of interference with my company's program. They are very familiar with "pga golf course" management turf types due to the nature of their local experience and clients. I'll have to look at my account and see if I can look at past application chemical types as I don't keep their visit summaries once I've reviewed them.

To fix this, you will need to focus on SOIL building, a consistent, intensive program of it, and I would incorporate that with some traditional techniques including core aeration (not just one pass.   Pound the hell out of that yard with the aerator.  Three passes, at least.  From three directions.  Four would be better) overseeding with an improved variety (read expensive) of Bermudagrass, and significant soil conditioners.  These you will apply with the hose-end sprayer on a regular schedule, and I predict by spring, you can have the grass you want.  I say spring because your grass will go dormant at some point, and we can keep building the soil even through the winter (and we will, as long as the ground is not frozen) but you wont' see the results in pretty grass until it breaks dormancy in the spring.

I am open to putting down a Tier 1 hybrid bermuda seed. I don't have that much lawn square footage. Do you have a recommended online map tool that can take an aerial image and draw boxes, if you will, to calculate the area of different lawn sections? It would have to work in zone 8a, with a couple weeks of mid 20s in January, and highs of 90-95 with 70 80% humidity during the summer months.

Should I physically aerate once in the spring and once at the end of the season? How should I combine this schedule with the usage of the Air-8?

*deep breath* Whew.  

Okay.  The first thing you are going to do is spend $60 $40 (sorry, I originally  put what I charge to pull the test and ship it.) on a soil test.   One from either Ward Laboratories or Spectrum Analytic.  I use Spectrum, so I'm more familiar, but you can use either.

Send me the form whenever. I'm not in a rush.

The second thing you are going to do is order some stuff from Greene County Fertilizer.

Air-8
Humic 12
RGS
0-0-2 Microgreene

How many of these can be mixed and applied at one time?

I think you can package these at Yard Mastery.

Stand by.  Let me look...

Yes.  They have packaged it as their "biostimulant pack"  here  $104 for a gallon of each.  Four gallons, shipped, for that money.  

(How big is your lawn.  I think this will be more than enough, but I should have asked that right off.)

The next thing you are going to do is go to home depot or lowes (and get 2 or three of these)

Chems and sprayers on the way. The Lawn Care Nut channel has helped me a lot.

It's a POS hose-end sprayer.  You are buying more than one because you need a spare, so when it craps out (it will crap out.  I carry three in my truck.  Yes, sometimes I use these on customer yards.  Not often, but sometimes.  I have decent equipment, so if you want to know why I carry crap hose-end sprayers, just ask) and you say ugly words and throw it against the fence, you have another in the garage.

So once these arrive, I will post some videos for you to watch about how to set the hose-end sprayer to get what you want.

I will also link some videos for you to watch (fun and easy videos...all are entertaining) about these products and how to use them properly. When to use them, etc.

Then you will come in for the evening after a long day at work, you will put on your crummy yard shoes, pull out the hose (you need enough to reach your whole yard) grab a beer, pop the top, fill the POS sprayer, and chill.   The birds will sing.  The lawnmower down the street will start up.  The sun will sink, the air will cool a bit.  Your kids will squeal (you have kids?  In my picture of your situation, there are little kids that squeal) the dog will bark, and you will chill.

No kids/ dog.

You will also dramatically improve your lawn, and you will (98 percent do)  see a response from your grass (a positive response) after the. first. treatment.

But you're going to repeat this once a week for a while.   A good long while.

So, once a week until the grass goes into dormancy this season? How about sequential seasons? Once a month April to October? Etc.

After each treatment, you will run your sprinklers to wash this off the grass, and you will leave your crappy yard shoes in the garage, cuz this stuff STAINS.  The DIY lawn care community refers to these products as "paint it black".  It will stain your fence, your concrete (not permanently, but you gotta clean it off) the dog, your shoes, and your clothes.  So...crappy yard shoes, and rinse it off with the sprinklers before the dog goes out.

How much concrete stain are we talking? The up-turned pinkie neighborhood I'm in will probably not tolerate a massively off-color spotted driveway and sidewalk.

Now then...this is NOT fertilizer.

So I am going to assume you still employ your fertilizer company.  If not, we need to talk more about that.  You cannot do this without also having a good agronomic program behind it.  NPK.  You are going to supplement the micro-elements with one of the products, but NPK cannot be ignored.

I hear the questions coming.

Ask them.

View Quote

Replies in red.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Good.  My hope for you was that they are a good, competent company.  If they are at that level, have they mentioned aeration/overseed to you, or given you a quote on that? If not, you should ask.

They have suggested the aeration, which I did earlier this year. They have not mentioned overseeding to me.

Without actually putting eyes on your lawn, or being there, my recommendation would be to apply air-8, humic acid, and RGS in rotation, with applications once per week until the lawn goes dormant.   Then we will see where we stand. This more frequent application of Air-8 is a RESCUE situation. You are going more heavily than would be normal.   NOW THEN....it is necessary for you to pay attention to your lawn--to your soil and grass--to what it's doing--for this to be effective. The situation will be fluid, and you may need to shift as things move forward.  Help is always here, and now that you've found LCN, help is in that community as well.
The micro-greene will not be used as often.  It is actual fertilizer, and will be used in fairly small amounts, just as a boost to the basic fert program I'm sure your company is using.  Soil test first, then we will see about that one.

Chems and sprayers showed up this week. Should we still soil test before I start?

<seed suggestions>

I'll make a note to look into this in February or so, and overseed in March.

<aeration comments>

I'll schedule this before I put down new seed in March.

You can do all but the Air-8 in the same app.  However, you won't do the microgreen each time.  If you're doing once a week, you're going to rotate the three.  Air-8, Humic 12, RGS.  (Did you get D-thatch too? did I even talk about that? I may have forgotten.) Some people do Air-8 mixed, but it is So. Very. Alkaline.  I don't like mixing it with the others.   If I had limited time, or needed to take a week off,  I would mix Humic and RGS.  But all of these have some humic component.   When you do the humic app, you're just getting a big fat dose of it.  Am I making any sense at all?

We're going to get a soil test before we do the micros.

Standing by for the paperwork if you still want to provide it. The county and University of GA extension office are both very good and not that far away, so I can also check with them.  I need to speak with them anyway for two fruit tree suggestions to replace my red maples.

** If you haven't done so, you might ask them what their recommended height of cut is for your bermuda, right now.  Bermuda loves heat, and my gut tells me you are cutting too tall, and that cutting lower will help with the spread, and the overall look of your yard.   But.....ask them.  They know what the ideal height of cut is, and wish more customers would listen when they advise. This is one of those "they know more than I do about bermuda" things.

Grass height....so they have a nice pamphlet going over grass heights for spring (scalp .5") summer (.5 to 1"), fall/dormancy (1.5 to 2") All last year and until July I kept it mowed at .5". Even only removing a third of the grass blade mowing every 5-7 days or so it was still too brown spotty for my liking. I switched to 2" in July and the lawn looks much nicer save for the dollar spot. Going forward I will probably scalp again late March with 1 cut at .5" and then stick to 2". The lawn looks better and seems to hold more water (more green).

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@ThrustMyStoma

I've sent you some IMs.  
View Quote
Yep. I'll be able to respond fully tomorrow. AFG has us working pretty hard right now.

@Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No doubt.

Your grass can wait.  It WILL wait.   It's just grass.

Do your thing.  Help people get out.

View Quote
PMs replied.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Army worms
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If it were armyworms, he would have nothing back there but brown.  

Ain't sayin he doesn't have armyworms NOW.  But those pics are Dollar Spot.  Not armyworms.

For anyone who is interested, here is Armyworm damage.

Customer called me yesterday, and said, "A third of our back yard has died in three days."

I went there today to spray (yep, Sunday morning.  Knew it was armyworms.   And by this morning, 90 percent of the lawn was gone.  Four. Days. Gone.)

Here is what it looked like before.   I doubt there were two weeds in the whole place.  Not as thick in the middle as we'd like it because we'd been battling underground stumps that made grass growth difficult.  Yet still, we had this:  (customer photos. Apologies for size and resolution)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/before_Armyworms_2-2071361.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Before_armyworms_1-2071362.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Before_armyworms_3-2071363.jpg

Today it looked like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Back_yard_with_Armyworm_damage__day_3_1-2071343.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Back_yard_with_armyworm_damage_day_3-2071344.jpg

That is  FOUR DAYS of armyworm damage.

View Quote
funny you guys say armyworms. my neighbor two houses over got hit real bad with them in her back yard last week. she takes real good care of her lawn as well. she made a point to come up to me and warn me to look out for them.

her backyard is probably 150 or so feet from mine (1 house in between) and backs up to a more marshy wooded area and drainage pond than mine does. I haven't seen any of the evil centipede looking things in my yard. ...yet She has the same turf care company I do, and luckly they had a treatment for them. I do not know what it was. Is there some sort of preventative agent that can be used?

Kitties I have 4075 sq feet of turf if you have a recommended dosage for the air-8. its been raining here all week. I hope to put it down when it clears friday or saturday.

@Kitties-with-Sigs
@AKJEFF
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting stuff. I lost my entire front yard of tall fescue to army worms this year. So I’ve completely started over.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Thankfully no armyworms it seems. I got the Air-8 down. I'll probably put the microgreen down next week.

Should I keep cycling in each nutrient from the bio stim package until the lawn goes dormant? Or keeping going afterwards?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Fwiw OP next season you need to core aerate in the spring and top dress with a quality screened soil and use a lawn leveler to work it in.   You can also fix lumpy and uneven spots this way. I'm not in GA but I have yet to find ANYONE who will do this service in central NC. I also apply a lot of gypsum to my lawn trying to get some penetration in our Carolina clay. It's improved greatly.

The black stuff you saw was likely algae. Did it dry out eventually and start cracking?  I get that in my side yard where the sun doesn't get much time on it.

Do yourself a favor and consider buying the green works or sun Joe corded dethatcher. It's not as efficient as the gas powered ones but it pulls an amazing amount of thatch out so long as you do two rounds of it and go perpendicular on round 2. First year I did it I think it had never been done before. Pulled out a MOUNTAIN of thatch. My neighbor was shocked, borrowed it and he had the same.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fwiw OP next season you need to core aerate in the spring and top dress with a quality screened soil and use a lawn leveler to work it in.   You can also fix lumpy and uneven spots this way. I'm not in GA but I have yet to find ANYONE who will do this service in central NC. I also apply a lot of gypsum to my lawn trying to get some penetration in our Carolina clay. It's improved greatly.

The black stuff you saw was likely algae. Did it dry out eventually and start cracking?  I get that in my side yard where the sun doesn't get much time on it.

Do yourself a favor and consider buying the green works or sun Joe corded dethatcher. It's not as efficient as the gas powered ones but it pulls an amazing amount of thatch out so long as you do two rounds of it and go perpendicular on round 2. First year I did it I think it had never been done before. Pulled out a MOUNTAIN of thatch. My neighbor was shocked, borrowed it and he had the same.
View Quote
Yep sounds right. My battle is the constant crop circles from the mower bouncing up and down. i have watched youtube videos on leveling and have no idea really how to apply it to my yard without messing up the delibrate grades that allow it to drain.

one coat of fungide almost 3 weeks hasnt helped so I will being doing another 14.3 propiconizole round.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
double.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#33]
some pics of the mower scarring. As mentioned above, I really don't know how to approach leveling out these spots while maintaining the grade I have (which I need). I don't want to "square off" the grade, if you will. You can see the purposeful tapering and funneling of the grade to the french drain on the far fence.

this is scarring still evident from 6 days ago (3" inch cut). I have always had this problem... regardless of mowing pattern with two different mowers. The lawn looks better (less scarring, lol) when I keep it cut at 3 inches versus half of the lawn looking dead when I was cutting it at the proper 1" during the summer.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You can level the high and low spots without messing up the overall grade, and indeed you can keep the swales you need to move water.   That's not going to be an easy task, and I suggest you do that in small stages.  

That's honestly the strangest thing I've ever seen...those circles.   I would have said, "you need a different mower," but clearly, you've tried that.  

Lemme think on that.

Can you feel the humps and unevenness when you walk across the lawn?
View Quote
Only in a few spots. but the wheels definitely drop in spots as I mow..almost like small potholes or edge lines where grader track didnt smooth out.

off to find a spreader and lime this week. I have an Ewing Irrigation and Landscape not far away.

So far I have put down ( i am doing this once a week after i cut.

1 Air 8 (8 oz per 1k.)
1 14.8 propicanizol fungicde  thought i logged the rate but didnt.
1 RGS - 3 oz per 1k
1 Humeric 12 - 6 oz per 1k

i am going to do 1 dose of the microgreen then continue with the above 3 until dormacy.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Top dress it.  

IME Bermuda loves sand.  Got a dump truck dumped on the driveway, I spread it all out to let it dry and then put it in my spreader and walked the yard.  It was a bunch of shoveling but I was amazed what it did for my lawn.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Top dress it.  

IME Bermuda loves sand.  Got a dump truck dumped on the driveway, I spread it all out to let it dry and then put it in my spreader and walked the yard.  It was a bunch of shoveling but I was amazed what it did for my lawn.
View Quote
this is what youtube bermuda leveling vids have said.  i am a bit paranoid w my grade so I will probably start with the front.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They actually have a battery model now.  

I suggested it to the OP a bit ago via email, but looking at the grass and what he needs, I'm honestly not sure the battery model is enough of a beast to deal with what he has.

I have the corded model and love it, and cord management isn't really that hard, but it is kind of a pita.

OP, you can also rent heavier-duty dethatchers.

Dethatching bermudagrass.....that starts some arguments among pros.  You want the spread that the stolens provide, and with this tool, you're going to cut the shit out of those stolens, and basically set the grass back.  SOMETIMES though, it's worth it.
View Quote

Is it the 24V reel mowor with a motor looking one?  Those are hot garbage and if you have any debris in the yard will choke on them.  Great idea though, just wish they went with a bigger motor.

I forgot to mention OP, I've noticed a huge improvement with the use of milorganite (smells like ass though...) or using 10-10-10 spread out at 1/2 rate every 2 or 3 weeks.  The nutrients don't really seem to hold all that well in my clay soil.  I've been slowly topdressing with a DIY mix of 60% play sand and 40% potting mix.  You can clearly see the areas I've done it because the grass grows in twice as thick.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Got the lime down today. 120 lbs of this over 4k sq feet. turf co was here yesterday and put down 11.1 gal of Simazine over 3700 square feet for weeds this winter.

noticed this today lol post microgreen last sunday. you can see how i ran the nozzle close to the ground down the middle to not hit the sidewalks. muh technique shall improve. that bermuda is thick green all the way through the stem and leaf ..THATS WHAT DADDY NEEDS.

Thanks again Kitties for your help.

Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You are welcome but don't be fooled.

You need a lot more work.

I can't tell much about your lime because I can't tell how fine it is, or the timeframe it will "deploy" and become useful in the soil.

Did you get any help from a fertilizer rep or store agent when you bought it and put it down?

View Quote
It was a fine brown color. it wasnt that chalky white color with clouds everywhere as you disperse it lol.

As for help, "That's what we have".

Its been raining off and on for the last few days but I still added water to get it to break down.  It seems like it will break down fast, as literally rinsing my muck boots off the hose water turned the lime on my boots a sticky goo mess.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Okay so I just read the Simazine label (that's not a drug I use.)

You might get some yellowing, but I doubt it.  If that were expected, your turf guys would have probably told you to expect it.  

So that's a pre and post-emergent herbicide for winter annual weeds.

You will water this week, likely, so that will activate the herbicide.

That's good.

So..

You have learned about the need for good application technique and calibration of your equipment.  (We ALL learn this.   You are a good guy for documenting your learning process so others can see it).

What does the month of November look like for you, in terms of our plan to improve your soil?

What have you applied, and what do you plan to apply?

Also...let us see your back yard.

What's happening back there?

View Quote
Dimazine i think is the chemical. yes, for pre and post emergent winter weeds.

Lawn is crunchy as temps are starting to change. I will probably cut it at 3 inch for the last time this season tomorrow.

Unless you recommend otherwise, I am still going to alternate the Air 8, Humeric12, and RGS weekly for November. Should I continue this every week through to spring?

some pics in the next post. I really need to get this leveled to get rid of the crop circles from mowing.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#50]

I do want to swap out that maple for a hard pear tree that wont get super big. I have 1 maple in the front and 1 in the back. I want to get rid of both for fruit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top