Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2021 12:23:20 AM EDT
Searching the market online to see what's available and reading the reviews.  I am looking for a mechanics tool set in a case or box.  I just purchased my first home last year and I do not own any tools in case I need to use them.  I am not known to fix or build things, therefor I do not own much tools to begin with.  I don't really have a budget, but I'm also limited with what I can do so I don't need the most pieces in a set but somewhere to having the most complete set with quality in mind.  Just no harbor freight sets or anything else that is considered cheap.  I like to stick with name brands like DeWalt or Stanley and others.  Lots of sockets and wrenches are a plus, need to be metric and the other.  I don't need big tools in the set like pliers, hammer, tape measurer.  I'm looking somewhere around 200 pieces to be good enough to tackle most jobs.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
SK Tools for hand tools.

Milwaukee M18 for power tools.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^^^ This is good advice...
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My opinion, your question(s) and your per-formed opinions are all over the place.

If you are starting out at ground zero with a new home and very little tools, then buying massive kits with stuff that you "might use" is not a good idea.

Here are my thoughts for you.

Start off with the following:

A few Phillips screw drivers
A few slotted screw drivers
slip joint pliers
bigger channel / pipe pliers
A 10 piece metric 3/8 socket set
A 10 piece Standard 3/8 socket set
few wrenches
Adjustable wrench
Hammer
Tape measure
Chisel
Power Drill
various bits for the drill
small buckets
big buckets

Buy all the power tools new;  90% of what Home Depot carries is good to go.  

Hand tools, find an estate sale and start picking stuff up cheap; spring is coming up should start seeing a lot of private sales.

Keep some cash handy to buy any other "special" tools as you need them.

Also, in 2021; there is nothing wrong with starting out with Harbor Freight to get your feet wet and figure out what you need.

Running out and buying the 350 piece mechanic kit with 40% crap you won't use is not the best move when starting off.

My two cents...
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Just buy a basic set to cover most of your needs, buy the other stuff as the need comes up. It will accumulate quicker than you think.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Home owner tools and mechanics tools are 2 different things.

Stanley owns Dewalt and they are = to HFT.

Based on your OP, you're going to be wasting a lot of money on things you will never use.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
In my experience nice150 tool, tool sets that come in a box have 17 tools you'll need all the time and 133 you'll never touch.

If you're just starting, and I wish someone told me this, identify the project then find the tools for that job and invest in the best you can afford.  Repeat as needed.  Sometimes that means the project wont get done this weekend, but 20 years from now you won't have bought the same tool 15 times and you won't have a box full of tools you don't need because the 10mm socket got bent/lost the first time you used it and you've bought 7 more sets of sockets just for the 10mm.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my experience nice150 tool, tool sets that come in a box have 17 tools you'll need all the time and 133 you'll never touch.

If you're just starting, and I wish someone told me this, identify the project then find the tools for that job and invest in the best you can afford.  Repeat as needed.  Sometimes that means the project wont get done this weekend, but 20 years from now you won't have bought the same tool 15 times and you won't have a box full of tools you don't need because the 10mm socket got bent/lost the first time you used it and you've bought 7 more sets of sockets just for the 10mm.
View Quote

At least now, companies have started to offer 10mm replacement kits to get around the last issue you mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Home owner tools and mechanics tools are 2 different things.

Stanley owns Dewalt and they are = to HFT.

Based on your OP, you're going to be wasting a lot of money on things you will never use.
View Quote

This is so true.  Mechanics tools are suited for mechanical applications.  Buy proper home owner tools.  A small ratchet/socket set may come in useful for some projects.  IMHO you should look to invest

in plumbing, electrical and carpentry repair type tools.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perfectly stated!  Great movie too.

You need to start off slowly and buy what you need for the project at hand.

As far as specialty tools, borrow, do not buy!
I have a lot of money tied up in specialty tools which were literally used only one time.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]

This is the way to go.  No need to go hog-wild on tools until you know what you're going to be doing.    As you take on and do more jobs around the house, you'll get a better feel for what you do or don't want, and what you use most frequently.  That's a solid starter set.

I've been a homeowner for 25 years, and own/owned many different brands of tools.  I can count on one hand the number of tools that I broke.  Everything from HF to USA-made Craftsman to Snap-on.  I just can't justify spending $200 on one set of S&K sockets, when they're going to be used only several times a year.  Most tool brands have lifetime replacement guarantees, including HF.  And their ICON line is actually pretty good shit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
buy used.

look around craigslist/marketplace and you'll find some big old school (back when everything wasn't a piece of shit made in china) tool sets for like zero money.  used tools aren't worth much because nobody has any cash.

yes, you'll end up with a ton of tools you might never use, but you'll have it.  And quality lasts a lifetime (or two or three) and you can buy way better tools for less money doing it this way.

You'll probably have to fill in some gaps here and there with one  new piece that you need, but you'll have the bases plus covered.

There's something glorious about your neighbor saying "hey man i can't get this thing to go in here" and you say "i have just the tool" and you do.  

Also this is the survival forum, no such thing as too many tools (unless you're moving).   I still have the original craftsman tool set i got for my 16th birthday, I've used the piss out of that set over the last ummmmmmmm many moons.  

also buy a good ladder.  Holy fuck people who own a home and don't have a ladder.  (or it's total shit)
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I would suggest a decent 3/8 socket set, and a full wrench set

Gearwrench won’t break the bank but is pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80550P-8-Inch-Standard-56-Piece/dp/B009PJPH28

https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-35720-Ratcheting-Wrench-Set/dp/B07GSCZCPM

These wrench sets go on sale all the time
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for the advice.  I have turned a few wrenches on my car, and I've assembled some furniture that required a nice tool set.  I love the movie reference because it is true that tools are acquired over time.  I do have the basics like a hammer, a couple screw drivers, and measuring tape.  But that's it, unless I count a couple multi-tool pliers in my bug out gear.  I don't have any power tools, but I do have great friends that I kiss ass to.  They have helped me knock out some home projects because I definitely could not do it alone.  I do like to own a big set of tools someday.  Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  Right?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:21:40 AM EDT
[#17]
For doing home owner stuff, I would make sure I had a hammer, vise grips, a Phillips and flat head screw driver, large channel locks/water pump pliers, a drill w/ bit set, a medium sized adjustable/crescent wrench, allen key set, and needle nose pliers, in that order.  You could substitute a bit driver with bits for the screw drivers and Allen key set.  

Throw in a level, tape measure, hacksaw, linesman pliers, side cutter pliers, bent needle nose pliers, and different sizes of the basics if you want to get fancy.  Otherwise, buy what you need when you need it.

Channel Lock makes affordable, American made pliers.  Knipex and Klein are better, but it sounds like they would be overkill for you.  I like Estwing for their steel handled, American made hammers.

If you just want a mechanics tool set, Gearwrench is good stuff but pricey.  Tekton is more affordable and I have been happy with their stuff.  I own both.

Here's a set that should serve you well:  https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-8-Inch-6-Point-Ratchet-16-Inch/dp/B07P6RJXJ9/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=tekton+socket+set&qid=1615874096&sr=8-2

For power tools, I like Milwaukee.  I have many of their brushless tools in 12 and 18 volt sizes and have been very happy with them.

I have also used Ryobi power tools and they work fine for most stuff.  They are not as nice as Milwaukee but they are much cheaper.  An upside to Ryobi is that while they update the technology in their batteries they don't change the form factor, so brand new batteries still work in 20+ year old tools.  That's really handy.

Rigid is another option for power tools and they offer a lifetime warranty.  I only have experience with their wet/dry vacs.

Milwaukee, Ryobi, and Rigid are all subsidiaries of the same company.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Porter Cable 18v Lithium Impact Driver/Drill set at Lowes on clearance for under $100 years ago and it has served me well with fixing whatever has broken/need to be assembled. I also bought a Craftsman 110pc socket/driver set that has in handy doing shit with the car, or sinking lag bolts for mounting TVs and what not. Every other tool has been purchased in order to complete a specific job. I needed to cut a decent sized dowel so I bought a Pull-saw I would recommend a pull saw over a big crosscut saw or whatever for manual cutting, I haven't had need for a compound miter saw yet so I haven't purchased one. I just bought a dremel, and I'm using the hell out of it and don't know how I didn't own one sooner. I bought a heat gun, pvc shrink tube, a pair of wire strippers, and a soldering iron for making a replacement battery pack for something that shit the bed over the summer.

You'll accumulate tools as you go, don't try to buy everything at once, a hammer, a cordless drill and a saw of some kind or another will get you pretty far as far as fixing/building shit around the house.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#19]

That tool set does what most tool sets do.  It pads the tool count with superfluous ratchets, sockets, and extensions.  

Someone in the buying demographic for that set would be much better served by the inclusion of a hammer, vise grips, and tape measure than 1/4" and 1/2" socket sets.

Another poster mentioned buying hand tools used.  That's a solid option and a good way to get actual American made tools at a reasonable price.  Just check to make sure the teeth aren't worn smooth on pliers and there aren't any gaps between the jaws that shouldn't be there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
buy used.

look around craigslist/marketplace and you'll find some big old school (back when everything wasn't a piece of shit made in china) tool sets for like zero money.  used tools aren't worth much because nobody has any cash.

View Quote

Good advice there!  Yard sales will be a good source also.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:26:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanksgiving to New Years is the best time to buy non-specialty tools from the big box stores. Lots of sales on many brands.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#22]
It depends on your use.
Cordless drill set, a few wrenches, and a Dremel type tool.  Buy as needed.
Now where did I put my 3/4 inch impact socket?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
buy used.

yes, you'll end up with a ton of tools you might never use, but you'll have it.  And quality lasts a lifetime (or two or three) and you can buy way better tools for less money doing it this way.

You'll probably have to fill in some gaps here and there with one  new piece that you need, but you'll have the bases plus covered.

There's something glorious about your neighbor saying "hey man i can't get this thing to go in here" and you say "i have just the tool" and you do.  

Also this is the survival forum, no such thing as too many tools (unless you're moving).   I still have the original craftsman tool set i got for my 16th birthday, I've used the piss out of that set over the last ummmmmmmm many moons.  

also buy a good ladder.  Holy fuck people who own a home and don't have a ladder.  (or it's total shit)
View Quote

This
I picked up a 3/8 drive flex head snap on ratchet at a yard sale for $5 looked the part number up online it was like $150
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
buy used.

Very wise.  FB Marketplace, Craigslist, yard sales, and pawn shops.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I would also recommend picking up a cheap multimeter.   There are times that you just cannot get around checking voltage or resistance to isolate a problem.   YouTube can show you how to do the test but without the meter you cannot do any of the troubleshooting.  

Here is a basic, somewhat inexpensive meter that will do just about anything that a home owner would ever need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-400-Amp-Digital-Clamp-Meter-AC-Auto-Ranging-with-Temp-CL220/312649913

You can get cheaper.    This one will do a lot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-4-Func-14-Range-Manual-Digital-Multimeter-GDT-3190/202867883

But specifically it doesn’t do amperage and that is something that I do use from time to time.   I keep a cheap meter like the Klein on top of my breaker panel at all time.   It is there any time that I need it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I like the lowes kobalt stuff for budget minded home use. i picked up something like https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-300-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/1000251051 on a black friday sale for under 200 out the door. keep in mind its a true mechnics tool set, which just gives you a good excuse to buy some knipex hand tools to go with it.

it's certainly not going to be SK quality or price. the same tools in that set would probably work out to be in the 1000 dollar range.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My opinion, your question(s) and your per-formed opinions are all over the place.

My two cents...
View Quote

I have to agree with this, in general and in many of the specifics.  Mechanics tools (implying automotive or machinery) and household tools are sort of different things, although most people who have a casual set of tools have a mishmash of both.   If you end up fixing appliances and HVAC - and you very well might, the way things are going - that's not all the different than working on cars, tool-wise.

I would add:

- not just a hammer, but a regular claw hammer, a ball-peen hammer, and a rubber mallet
- 2 adjustable wrenches instead of one, invariably you'll have a nut/bolt pair and no socket for either
- magnetic parts tray, so you don't drop parts
- one of those little extendable magnets for fishing out parts you dropped anyways
- needle nose pliers
- sidecutter/ "diagonal cutting plier", what most people use as a wirecutter
- wire stripper for common gauges of wire
- a couple of different length 3/8 socket extensions

If you intend to do vehicle work, add:
- regular combination box end/crescent wrench set; start with whatever your vehicle uses, metric or standard; you can add the other one later (other people break down too)
- stubby length version of the above; you want a pair of wrenches for each size so you can use them on nuts/bolts at the same time
- bit driver handle and a kit with various types like Torx, hex, etc
- torque wrench; I've used a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive click style with a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for ages, dunno if current production is good to go
- 1/2" drive breaker bar
- 3/8 to 1/2 adapter
- snap ring pliers
- Haynes or Chilton manual (with a preference for Haynes, for this) for your vehicle - you can look at repair procedures you'd consider doing and see what tools you lack.

I will agree with others, Stanley is not the name brand you think it is; many tool brands sold out to the Chinese years ago, even a lot of Craftsman stuff; many affordable decent tools are now Taiwanese, which is a step up from mainland China.   Harbor Freight now also has Indian tools for some things - they're often worse than the Chinese stuff and rather scary.  Look up reviews on specific things you're considering buying.  

The Kobalt and Husky hand tools you'll see at Lowes and Home depot are decent enough but usually imported; may be a good value on sale.  Quality is up and down with various design revisions but I haven't had a dud in ages.  Watch out for the super cheap lines and the no-name store brand stuff that's the cheapest they sell, it's often the same product as Harbor Freight.  Avoid the cheap tool lines at auto parts stores; some of them aren't even fit for use, like wrenches that bend open, etc.

Yard sales and estate sales can be a good source of old school Craftsman stuff for sockets and wrenches; avoid anything with flaking or peeling chrome, you'll slice yourself to ribbons.

Some items make sense to buy quality right off the bat, especially if you'll use it a lot and keep it a lifetime - Estwing hammers come to mind.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Williams is a subsidiary of snap on. I run a lot of their tools. Tekton is my other go to. Tekton has a lot of fans over on the garage forum.

NMG
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I would see what is on sale but I would also see what your local hardware store offers.

I have an ace hardware 20 minutes or less away.  I got a lowes and home depot in different directions about 40 minutes away I guess.

Sure the ace is smaller but they do tend to stock a lot and while price might be higher, in some cases not so much.

Dewalt has my business cause I got some monster cordless tool kits about 15 years ago and they made the new lithium batteries work with the old tools.  Not all brands do that.

I also have air tools from when I played mechanic, now air tools are less common I guess.  

Anyway, I would look around and compare prices and you are wanting a warranty so you can replace stuff but you also want to research things so you are not constantly replacing stuffs.  Broken tool means you are not fixing whatever even if it is free to replace.

I would look for people selling stuff or not using stuff.  My parents were some of the youngest people on the street they bought a house on way way way back when.  The older neighbors were happy to help in many cases and at the same time as some got too old the tools got sold or given away and my dad was always happy to help them out same as they had helped him out.

So neighbors might be a consideration.  That varies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top