Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2019 10:09:08 PM EDT
Hi, I just got a gt3wp and the programming cable and I got no clue which installer to use, they sent a bunch.  I've read some comments to make me think that the gt3wp is the same software as the uv5r.

Also, seems like I install the programming cable first and then chirp, then plugin the cable before I launch any software?
If anyone can shed any light I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I installed Chirp, went through the steps when you download the radio config. There is a pop up window that tells you to plug in the cable and turn the radio on volume all the way up, and then when you click ok it will download the image. If it doesnt work the first time, unplug the cable, turn the radio off and start all over.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You didn't have to install a driver for the cable first?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
This is your go to on Baostuff
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#4]
So my cable has a dated pl2303hxa chip and it won't work, wah.
I think I'll have to buy a real cable, or find an xp machine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
use this cable, real FTDI chip, no driver install needed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
it worked with chirp on an xp machine. Neat radio, good value.  
Check out this antenna I just ordered for it,
Amazon Product
  • 2 Meter/70cm (144Mhz/430Mhz) Foldable Portable Antenna ;Maximum Power Input-watts:10W (Ham radio less than 20W);Gain:Gain:3.0/5.0dBi;
  • Connector: sma-female ; Radios that are GUARANTEED to work are the MODEL NUMBER: baofeng uv-5r, bf-f8hp, uv-82, bf-888s, 888S, uv-82hp, bf-f8+, uv-5r Series, uv-82 Series;
  • Compatible with AnyTone, BaoFeng, some Wouxun, and some Kenwood Handheld Radios;

Link Posted: 10/20/2019 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it worked with chirp on an xp machine. Neat radio, good value.  
Check out this antenna I just ordered for it,
www.amazon.com/dp/B07QV14XTH
View Quote
I have that HYS antenna on my plate carrier, it gets good meter readings and good real-world performance.  I would not want to use it on the Baofeng directly though.  It's decently heavy and large enough to be awkward on such a small radio.  Remember you really must unfold the blade to transmit as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have that HYS antenna on my plate carrier, it gets good meter readings and good real-world performance.  I would not want to use it on the Baofeng directly though.  It's decently heavy and large enough to be awkward on such a small radio.  Remember you really must unfold the blade to transmit as well.
View Quote
That my friend, was a post that is unlikely to have been made anywhere other than the arfcom Ham Radio forum.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the tip.  Do you run a jumper coax cable from the radio to the antenna?
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip.  Do you run a jumper coax cable from the radio to the antenna?
View Quote
Yes, keep the radio up front for easy access and route the antenna to the back and over the shoulder.  3 foot coax patch cable should be plenty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top