Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 6:22:50 PM EDT
Anyone here who has a zippo will know the major downfall with this lighter is that the lighter fluid will dry out over time. Therefore, it is a terrible choice for keeping in a kit that rarely gets used which is a shame because it is such an awesome made in USA product.

On 12-1-2017 I thought I would run a test for my own amusement to see if it would last any longer if I vacuum sealed one up in plain old plastic sealer bags. It was fully filled with zippo fluid before I sealed it up. My main concern was the lighter fluid migrating through the plastic bag over time.

Today I decided to open it up and give it a try. Some of the fluid did suck out of the wick and into the bag when I sealed it which has had no affect on the bright orange paint it wears on the outside. It was still wet when I unsealed it. First strike of the wick and she lit right up.

If it were me, I would still carry a fire steel and know how to use it but I now feel comfortable adding this to my kit as long as it remains sealed I am confident it will  be GTG. Pictured below with today's carry gun for you visual folks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
And what smells better than a ZIPPO?

NUTHIN!

Nothing smells better than a ZIPPO!

When I die from cancer, they will say it's cuz I was a ZIPPO sniffer...

ETA:
Holy shit!
I just realized that's SIG line material right there!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats good to know. I have about 5 from when I used to smoke and they have been sitting in a drawer since I quit. I still like to keep lighters handy but because I rarely use them now, zippo doesn't make sense bc It would dry out before I would use it once.

There are some propane torch inserts that I have considered but they seem to be so-so on reliability.

I may have to try this.

I have since switched over to carrying a ST Dupont Xtend propane torch lighter. About the size of a zippo, very high quality (made in paris before they burnt that bitch down) and it lights every time. I lost it for about 3 years and it lit up the first time, no leaking. That plus a small bottle of butane is very hard to beat IMO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
When I smoked regularly a zippo would last a few days before needing refilled. A Bic will go months and would make a much better backup.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny how hollyweierd loves Zippos.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
in the dry hot desert, mine lasts like two days. I'm considering trying out a trick from a friend, use an old bike tube to surround the body. Hopefully it will reduce the leakage and make the cool zippo that I have actually usable three days after I fill it up
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a butane insert in mine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in the dry hot desert, mine lasts like two days. I'm considering trying out a trick from a friend, use an old bike tube to surround the body. Hopefully it will reduce the leakage and make the cool zippo that I have actually usable three days after I fill it up
View Quote
One of my Zippos wears a band like you describe. Adds another day or two, but you still need to keep the bottle of lighter fluid nearby, and it's not as speedy to open the lighter. Zippos are cool, but I'll never intentionally rely on one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Been carrying one since my Army days.  Rarely ever use it, but I like to have it with me.  I'm in the habit of filling it every Friday morning.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a kid my Dad used them. I found some of his old ones. Bought some lighter fluid.  I could barely get two days out of them before the fluid evaporated out.
I just wanted it around for nostalgia because it was my Dads, but not practical at all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I smoked regularly a zippo would last a few days before needing refilled. A Bic will go months and would make a much better backup.
View Quote
Yeah, that too.

I'm a cigar smoker and don't use petrol lighters as a rule, but own one.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a brass zippo in my preps..with 2 cans of fluid and 2 pkts of flints.
as I no longer smoke, I dont carry it..but with the 1000000's of 50 cent butane lighters laying about..
along with the striker sets in by BOBs dont think fire's gonna be an issue
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Zippos really shine for preps/camping/survival if your already carrying liquid fuel for an alcohol stove. pack the zippo dry/empty and just fill b4 use with the same alcohol for the Trangia or w/e your using.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Are any of the butane inserts worth the money in quality or durability?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't need a lighter on a regular basis.  So zippo fluid lives in its can and zippo is kept dry unless I fill it for some reason.

If camping or whatever, a bic is around for instant fire.

If I plan ahead then the zippo can be filled and many methods around for extending the lifespan of a fluid fill as already mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are any of the butane inserts worth the money in quality or durability?
View Quote
I use this one. I have three. Two work great. The other is temperamental.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Zippo BLU a few years ago.   Basically it was a "Zippo" made butane lighter.   I carried it daily for a over a year but have mostly stopped carrying it.   I have misplaced it for months at a time and strangely enough it always still has fuel in it when I find it again.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
The Thyrm Pyro Vault works pretty good. It's O-ring sealed and I've gone about 6 week between fills. I'm not a smoker but ai do use mine from time to time for various things that need fire.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Zippos really shine for preps/camping/survival if your already carrying liquid fuel for an alcohol stove. pack the zippo dry/empty and just fill b4 use with the same alcohol for the Trangia or w/e your using.
View Quote
Zippos don't reliably burn alcohol. Alcohol also evaporates much quicker.

Buy a Coleman stove and you can top off your Zippo all day.

Those of you getting two days on a fill...  I get about 1-1.5 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Carried a Zippo every day for 10 years.

IMCO's are better lighters:

-Fuel lasts a full 2 weeks vs 1 week for Zippo
-More reliable ignition on first strike
-Flame blows around less due to superior wind guard
-Fuel tank can be removed and used like a match for lighting candles and campfires

That said, if you want something that can stay fueled for 6+ months, the War Armor Zippo case is impressive. CNC Titanium with 0-ring seal. I filled mine 6 months ago and left it on my desk, and it's still fully fueled with 0 evaporation:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Titanium-TC4-War-Armor-Oil-Lighter-Shell-Case-Solid-1-7mm-Thick-Material-Stronge-Hinge-Waterproof/32597500527.html

And of course the County Comm XL Peanut Lighter works great:

https://countycomm.com/collections/fire
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Ugh..

Now i want a peanut lighter or two. Those things are nice
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#22]
why not just store the fluid separately in a plastic container?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
And Naphtha tastes like shit and butane doesn't.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use a butane insert in mine.
View Quote
This.  I rarely use it, but carry it daily.  Nice to know it is there for any cigar that comes my way.

That insert is cheap too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Zippos don't reliably burn alcohol. Alcohol also evaporates much quicker.

Buy a Coleman stove and you can top off your Zippo all day.

Those of you getting two days on a fill...  I get about 1-1.5 weeks.
View Quote
Boom. Headshot on all 3. Especially how long it lasts.

I smoke way too much and my lighter doesn't run out in just a few days. How does this work? Even when I lived in socal it still lasted me.

Mine had even been dropped into a mix of diesel, atf, coolant and salt water. Mostly coolant. It was submerged for probably a half hour. Wiped it off and it fired right up.

ETA: that said, zippos still suck for survival. Get bic and ferro rods. I tried these giant matches from Diamond designed to light charcoal grills. They work, but have the same problems as regular matches. Could be very useful if your tinder is kind of wet and you don't have magnesium or other fuels.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The downfall of many Zippos has been corrosion.  Almost always this is due to the used flint being stored with the lighter, and causing corrosion between it and the striker wheel.  In extreme cases, the corrosion can affect the plunger supporting the flint, and even the spring.  New flints are coated with an anti-oxidation coating all-over for corrosion protection during storage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FWIW, I have stored some Bic (brand-name) lighters long term, and they were somewhat unreliable.  Some leaked, and some did not.  Certainly any that were used, even once, were more subject to leakage than "virgin" Bics. I have even less confidence in off-brands, many of which self-disassemble during normal usage.
View Quote
BICs suffer from the same corroded flint as Zippos and I've recently had a couple out of a few dozen, that wouldn't allow the wheel to spin.  I've also had some depress and leak while in my pocket, so that happens.

Still, I'd rather have a BIC handy than a Zippo.

However, if you want something small, well implemented and better for SHTF situations, look for the JetLine New York series, either in 2, 3 or 4 jet flame models.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#28]
For long term storage or travel I use the Zippo Travel-size fuel canister or a Thunderbird Yellow Flame Insert.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Good idea!

I tried using mine last 4th for fireworks lighting. Learned fact: zippos get hot as fuck after 5 minutes of burning.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Cut a bicycle inner tube into range bands. Place 1" band around the "seam" of the body and lid of the zippo. Keeps fluid for weeks that wy and also helps keep the zippo from falling out of your pocket.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice tip.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Any ever try sealing a zippo with duct tape to see how long it stayed full?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top